Tutu, Kathrada take Morgan Freeman to task for Accepting Award

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-afr...-take-film-star-to-task-1.1512288?utm_medium=[%27facebook%27]&utm_source=dlvr.it

Cape Town - Hollywood star Morgan Freeman, who portrayed Nelson Mandela in the Rugby World Cup-inspired film Invictus, has been asked by two anti-apartheid icons to explain his decision to accept an award from a group linked to an Israeli university.

They are Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and former Robben Island prisoner and anti-apartheid stalwart Ahmed Kathrada.

On Monday night in Toronto, the Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem held an event described by the organisers as “A celebration of excellence to honour individuals who have changed the world and impacted lives through the advancement of knowledge”.

“Morgan Freeman… will be awarded the The Key of Knowledge Award for his dedication to combating racism and promoting knowledge and education worldwide.

“His philanthropic leanings are as legendary as his acting.”

The event was to raise funds for Medical Research Israel-Canada which, according to the organisers, “brings together the brightest minds from across Israel and Canada to find solutions to medical problems such as cancer, Alzheimer’s, heart disease and brain-related disorders”.

On Tuesday, Tutu spokesman Roger Friedman said: “Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu has written to Morgan Freeman to request clarity on the issue and has copied the Nelson Mandela Foundation in on the letter.”

In November, Tutu appealed to the UN and the world’s most powerful countries, “with vested geopolitical and economic interests in the region”, to prioritise the development of a solution for sustainable peace and security in the Middle East.

This had to include the “return of illegally occupied land”, and the creation of two nation states. He added that the process should be overseen by UN peacekeepers.

His letter is echoed by Kathrada, who wrote an open letter to Freeman referring to his “surprise” that the award was going to the actor. “What immediately came to mind were the words of Madiba: ‘But we know too well that our freedom isn’t complete without the freedom of the Palestinians… “

He said he would have hoped Freeman visit Palestine before accepting the award. Kathrada had recently returned from a trip to the area.

He said:

“I have now personally witnessed the plight of the Palestinian people. They are living under conditions of permanent martial law. I came back convinced that Israel is indeed an apartheid state. And in certain respects it is worse than apartheid.”

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Stephen Hawking won't attend Israeli Conference

Physicist Stephen Hawking has dropped plans to attend a major conference in Israel in June, prompting criticism Wednesday from Israeli officials who believe he has joined a boycott organized to protest Israel's treatment of the Palestinians.

The world-famous scientist had earlier agreed to attend the Israeli Presidential Conference, hosted by President Shimon Peres, in late June, but has now changed his mind. A University of Cambridge statement released Wednesday cited "personal reasons" for his decision.

Conference chairman Israel Maimon said Hawking's decision was "unjustifiable and wrong."

"The academic boycott against Israel is in our view outrageous and improper, certainly for someone for whom the spirit of liberty lies at the basis of his human and academic mission," Maimon said, calling the imposition of a boycott incompatible with open, democratic dialogue.

He noted that former world leaders including Bill Clinton, Mikhail Gorbachev and Tony Blair plan to attend the conference.

The 71-year-old Hawking's decision was hailed by the British Committee for the Universities of Palestine as support for its goal of severing academics' connections with Israel.

"This is his independent decision to respect the boycott, based upon his knowledge of Palestine, and on the unanimous advice of his own academic contacts there," the committee said on its website.

Source : Sapa-AP /sdv
Date : 08 May 2013 12:31

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Hating on people just because they are Israeli is racist/xenophobic/whatever.

You would think Tutu would have learnt to be less racist considering his history.

Haldex

Expert Member
Not what I wouldve expected from Stephen Hawking...
Kudos to him!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

You would think Tutu would have learnt to be less racist considering his history.

This is what I have been saying all along. Tutu is not the saint everyone makes him out to be.

Sherbang

Executive Member

:erm: This has nothing to do with 'hating on people' because they are israeli.
This is about using sanctions to put pressure onto israel to return illegally occupied land, and to implement the creation of two nation states.

marine1

Honorary Master

I hardly ever agree with you but you are spot on.
Well done to Morgan !!

Haldex

Expert Member

So when international organisations hated on SA in the 70s and 80s that was racist/xenophobic/whatever?

marine1

Honorary Master
So when international organisations hated on SA in the 70s and 80s that was racist/xenophobic/whatever?

Again you know nothing about Israel, it is NOTHING like Apartheid was and if you bothered to go and find out the truth you would know that
But again, for you , its about religion.

Haldex

Expert Member
Again you know nothing about Israel, it is NOTHING like Apartheid was and if you bothered to go and find out the truth you would know that
But again, for you , its about religion.

I agree, our apartheid government never used F16s.

marine1

Honorary Master
I agree, our apartheid government never used F16s.

Funny neither do the Israelis, oh wait you mean to attack the terrorist scum lobbing rockets every day at Israel? That is 100000% justified.

jclpmd

Seems like Marine1 is pro- Israel for some reason but its obvious. Its funny how you bring out religion when the situation has moved far beyond that. It is about humanity and how the Israeli state pushes out innocent people and removes all their rights. The Israeli state is illegally occupying people land and homes.

Marine1 will only know how it feels when people physically remove his family from the home he's father worked hard for and immediately occupies it with no human emotions of remorse or guilt.

Lets give an example of the situation but closer to home: Imagine the local Africans coming to the white suburban areas in the middle of the night, breaking in and pushing you and your family out the door. Then a few minutes later bring in an African family from who knows where and moves them in. In the morning the illegally occupying African family is throwing all your possessions out onto the street for you to take. Lets not forget that they threw out kids and elderly people onto the street. They have lived in that home for many years, bought it legally etc. But the Africans claim to the land is backed up by their global friends or say nothing and let them do as they please.

Then they build walls around you separating them from you, only allowing you to go through or pass while removing all your dignity by making you go through checkpoints like the "dom pass" of the SA apartheid system. All the while knowing your home is not yours anymore, you are separated from your family and friends.

Marine1 knows nothing about Israel himself.

More and more Jews are becoming anti-Zionist themselves. Notables include Joseph Dana, Gideon Levy. Google it.

People I am not bringing in religion but the rights of people and the false claims by the Jewish Zionist state in illegally occupying land that they cannot honestly claim rights too. Wheres all the democracy, human rights claims now.

I know some are going to say the palestinians are terrorists/suicide bombers etc but what choice do they have if nobody can significantly help them due to the international community obliged to follow the US and its Israeli partner. Truly put yourself in the Palestinian situation and then make a fair comment about the situation.

I was never a fan of Hawking but applaud him for the decision he made and Tutu continues to do some good work.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master
Too tired and its such an old debate but tell me then jclpmd have you ever spent time in Israel?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
:erm: This has nothing to do with 'hating on people' because they are israeli.
This is about using sanctions to put pressure onto israel to return illegally occupied land, and to implement the creation of two nation states.

Does Tutu have sanctions against Palestinians for firing missiles into Israel? If not then he has picked a side and has double standards and is racist.

There are no saints in the Middle East.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma

They are nothing alike and to imply such is insulting. So imply away. But yeah, nice trying to ride South Africans struggle. I guess thats what people do when they cant win on their own laurels.

I actually believe in a two state solution and that Israel must withdraw to the original UN mandated borders. However, that doesnt for a second make me think that Palastinians are any better than the Israeli`s. I know that arabs can vote in Israel and Jews are killed in Palestine.

Last edited:

Haldex

Expert Member
They are nothing alike and to imply such is insulting. So imply away. But yeah, nice trying to ride South Africans struggle.

Desmond and Mandela seem to think so, are you more of an authority on Apartheid than they are?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
People calling the Palestine situation Apartheid is like right wingers in South Africa calling the farm attacks genocide.

You are disgusting in trying to hijack the real atrocities to try claim the brand for your political bitch fight.

Racial segregation
Lack of ability for an ethnic/racial group to vote or own property.

In Israel:

Arabs are allowed to vote and join political parties of their choice
Arabs are allowed to own property
Israel does not want to separate the territories along racial lines.

In Palestine:

Jews are not allowed to vote or be friends with Palestinians (theres a recent case of a young Palestinian male who didnt want to fight and befriended a Jew online... his still in jail)
Hamas will not allow Jews to own property.
Hamas will not allow Jews to vote
Palestinians want the country divided along racial lines.

As I said, I agree to a two state solution, but I dont for one ****ing second believe that either the palastinians or Israelis are innocent.

Last edited:

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Too tired and its such an old debate but tell me then jclpmd have you ever spent time in Israel?

Can't speak for him, but can for myself
I am brown and arab looking, Do i look stupid to you.
Israel is probably the last place would want to go.
Actually, Palestine is probably the last place i would go, as chances of being "colateral damage" is higher there