TV Licence fees must become compulsory in South Africa - eMedia CEO

Itsa Trap

Compulsory for whom? Paying for electricity is compulsory in SA, but ummm, hey Eskom, how you doin?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I already pay a TV licence, and none in my household have watched anything broadcast by the SABC in the last 20 years. But seeing that it is such a schlep to cancel it. I use it when my children, family members, and certain friends need to buy a TV. Thus saving them from becoming part of the problem.

Just as they will not get the "Khasi" crowd to pay for electricity, niether will they manage to get them to pay for a TV license. Those are the people who the SABC targets with their content, if they are not going to pay, don't expect met to pay, so they can watch some TV content that targets them. So F' them.

Last edited:

Kola_CT

Expert Member
At R0.73/day the TV license is actually a steal. Excuse the pun. While I don't watch SABC I listen to the traffic report and the news on 5FM. Worth it for me. Adding it to my municipal bill would make my life even easier.

You have the ‘steal’ part right, even though SABC would steal more if we allow them.

profa

Honorary Master
At R0.73/day the TV license is actually a steal. Excuse the pun. While I don't watch SABC I listen to the traffic report and the news on 5FM. Worth it for me. Adding it to my municipal bill would make my life even easier.
People like you are part of the problem. How does a rational person support corruption through paying for a service that is not only sht at best, but you make NO use of. Its called a TV license, not a radio license

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Just link it to something you have to pay. This is what government's new tactic is going to be. Watch

If they add it to municipal tax I won't be happy.
They cannot. That would be illegal. They have to prove that you own a TV first.

That's the only reason they haven't done it yet.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I totally disagree. Income tax should (and always did, with additional advertising ) pay for sabc national TV during the previous white government tenure.
What seems to be the problem with this government.. Why can't they even run a sh*tty little not for profit TV station and break even..
I mean really?
No, it did not. TV licences were always a thing and most paid then because the collection process was enforced and inspectors went out and checked --------

Check your facts before posting BS.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
People like you are part of the problem. How does a rational person support corruption through paying for a service that is not only sht at best, but you make NO use of. Its called a TV license, not a radio license
It might be called a "TV licence" BUT it incorporates the "radio Licence" that used to be around before TV arrived on the scene.