TV Licence fees must become compulsory in South Africa - eMedia CEO

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
At R0.73/day the TV license is actually a steal. Excuse the pun. While I don't watch SABC I listen to the traffic report and the news on 5FM. Worth it for me. Adding it to my municipal bill would make my life even easier.
shoosh idiot, dont give them ****ing ideas now !!!!

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Just link it to something you have to pay. This is what government's new tactic is going to be. Watch

If they add it to municipal tax I won't be happy.

They might get household insurance companies to deduct it. After all they get car insurance to deduct that stupid mass riot tax, forgot what it is called.

Where will they deduct the new National Health Insurance from? From your salary? Will SARS collect it? What if you work for your self?

Look at that sectional title fee everyone must pay that was not so long ago introduced.

ETolls will probably be made mandatory by not allowing you to renew your car license.

When you are in power you make the rules. We just have to follow.

You can get your car to be ensured without SASRIA cover, it would be stupid, but you can if you want to. You have a problem with your broken or insurer, and yourself, for incorrectly blaming government.

Also, Mr Sherrif, TSEK!!!

Kola_CT

Expert Member
It might be called a "TV licence" BUT it incorporates the "radio Licence" that used to be around before TV arrived on the scene.

Maybe, like the rest of the world, they should have kept up with progress, where consumers pay for what they actually consume instead of what is sent out to /dev/null...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Maybe, like the rest of the world, they should have kept up with progress, where consumers pay for what they actually consume instead of what is sent out to /dev/null...
Yes, a valid observation. Many countries have gone through a process to review how they fund "public goods" and therefore "public broadcasting" which has resulted in the dropping of "licence fees" as part of the funding model.

"Public goods" are expected to be "free" which normally means paid out of taxes, augmented by other sources. Some countries have not followed that path, notably, the UK, however, where "licence fees" are still collected and the definitions have been modified and updated to keep up with developments.

This is what the current process is supposed to be about. Hopefully, this time around some real decisions are taken.

I noticed today that even places where second-hand goods are being sold are now enforcing the need to produce a TV licence when buying second-hand TVs and other things with tuners in them. So, generally, the industry is tightening up on the enforcement process again, which is good.

profa

Honorary Master
It might be called a "TV licence" BUT it incorporates the "radio Licence" that used to be around before TV arrived on the scene.
You are talking utter twaddle. Having a radio is by no means a requirement of having a Tv license. Thats why its called a tv license.

Quicks

Expert Member
They should make it compulsory for SOE's to earn profit before bonusses and salaries gets paid.

How about bailouts should be paid back to tax payers before you are allowed to make crap like this compulsory!

Kola_CT

Expert Member
Yes, a valid observation. Many countries have gone through a process to review how they fund "public goods" and therefore "public broadcasting" which has resulted in the dropping of "licence fees" as part of the funding model.

"Public goods" are expected to be "free" which normally means paid out of taxes, augmented by other sources. Some countries have not followed that path, notably, the UK, however, where "licence fees" are still collected and the definitions have been modified and updated to keep up with developments.

This is what the current process is supposed to be about. Hopefully, this time around some real decisions are taken.

I noticed today that even places where second-hand goods are being sold are now enforcing the need to produce a TV licence when buying second-hand TVs and other things with tuners in them. So, generally, the industry is tightening up on the enforcement process again, which is good.

Why should any broadcasting be ‘free’?

How about people pay for what they consume?

Public free broadcasting becomes paid for propaganda, why should we all pay for this even if we think it is bullshit?

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Guess he want Hlaudi's old job one day so that he can give himself R20 million bonus as well.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You are talking utter twaddle. Having a radio is by no means a requirement of having a Tv license. Thats why its called a tv license.
No one says you need to also have a "radio". The issue is about licences. The licences started out for "radio reception" then evolved to "Radio and TV" and then the references to "Radio" were dropped. The funds collected however were there to fund BOTH operations, TV as well as radio operations.

You as many others' on this forum, have serious comprehension issues.

profa

Honorary Master
No one says you need to also have a "radio". The issue is about licences. The licences started out for "radio reception" then evolved to "Radio and TV" and then the references to "Radio" were dropped. The funds collected however were there to fund BOTH operations, TV as well as radio operations.

And you are a know-it-all who spreads BS. I dont care about the past. Now, there is fckall that owning a radio has to do with having a TV license. Simple. Listening to or having a radio by no means at all requires you to own a tv licence. Whether tv licence finances radio stations or not.

enzokahn

Whose this idiot? How about shutting down sabc and just let us stream whatever we want for free. Even gogos watch videos on their phones now

Kola_CT

Expert Member

So you are also Geoff_R...

Read your own bullshit after you pass this...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I am guessing that you had a bicycle license back in the day as well?
Oh, we did, and dog licences and cat licences and a few others. But then most citizens in SA were law-abiding and did what was required by law.

and those were paid by our parents. My parents deducted it from the "pocket money" we were given --- it as part of learning to be a good citizen.

Many of these were phased out by a proper, legal process and changes to the laws.

Azg

Expert Member
Sherrif also said "that even if the SABC were to receive all the television advertising budget available in South Africa it would still not be able to break even and deliver on their mandate."

That means the SABC has a serious problem with costs. Start with that.