TV Licence inspectors haven't worked in 10 years

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

The Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams, recently published the SABC Bill for public comment. The new law contains wording that allows TV licence inspectors to enter your home without a warrant.

Inspectors may only enter a property before dark unless they have a warrant or have the permission of the resident to enter.

This provision provoked anger among South Africans, but the SABC has told MyBroadband that TV licence inspectors will not be knocking on people's doors anytime soon.

ConfusedR

Expert Member
They can't come in if I'm not home.
And if they decide to come after hours, I'm sure as hell not going to let them in.
Cele can't even protect business from being destroyed, how will he and his useless police force keep me safe from illegal TV inspectors.

MightyQuin

Not amused...

The Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams, recently published the SABC Bill for public comment. The new law contains wording that allows TV licence inspectors to enter your home without a warrant.

Inspectors may only enter a property
before dark unless they have a warrant or have the permission of the resident to enter.

So they can just be told to fukoff....as per usual.

rvZA

Executive Member

Inspectors may only enter a property before dark unless they have a warrant or have the permission of the resident to enter.

This provision provoked anger among South Africans, but the SABC has told MyBroadband that TV licence inspectors will not be knocking on people's doors anytime soon.

Another crazy act waiting to be overturned. In the very limited circumstances even police are allowed to enter a premises without a warrant, no court will grant a blanket law for TV license inspectors. Good luck Dumb Dumb Stella.

D tj

Expert Member
Poor wording / grammar....: Inspectors may only enter a property before dark unless they .....
......may only enter a property before dark, unless they have a warrant ......is what is meant I assume?
Should I use my monitor/spyhole and not open my door nor communicate with them in any way, what then a broken door?

JustAsk

Expert Member
Mybb stop spreading nonsense. Geezuz

Sabc agents can ONLY enter your premises with a warrant or with your permission. And any visiting can only happens before dark, PERIOD. aND if there is a warrant, there needs to be police present. They tried to make you think otherwise by using colorful language.

This is not US/UK where debt collectors kick down your door. Only with a warrant or with a reasonable suspicion of a crime can police, and only police, enter your home in SA.

Last edited:

JustAsk

Expert Member
Poor wording / grammar....: Inspectors may only enter a property before dark unless they .....
......may only enter a property before dark, unless they have a warrant ......is what is meant I assume?
Should I use my monitor/spyhole and not open my door nor communicate with them in any way, what then a broken door?
poor wording by design...