TV Licence inspectors haven't worked in 10 years

rvZA

Executive Member
So TV license inspectors can infringe on constitutionally protected rights... I see, in which case they can fight with my tall fence, electric on top, and when the moment is right (stuck on fence, being zapped and tangled with wires) I will sound the alarm for armed response to deal with them with sirens while they try to tell their story.

If it had not been for the already bad Constitution, imagine the nightmare SA would have been today if people like this could push through laws like this.

Kawak

If it had not been for the already bad Constitution, imagine the nightmare SA would have been today if people like this could push through laws like this.

In this case, she can try, I have feeling the battle lines are being drawn, I for one am going to ask for sabc mandate to be clearly and forcefully enforced or license be withdrawn, the same accountability must apply to the sabc as is with anyone. I see the courts flooded once they actually push for the new tax.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

The left are quick to label the right as Nazi's but have no problem pushing communism which killed far more than Nazism.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
the best solution is to scrap the TV lic system entirely and introduce the new household levy.

someone may not like the household levy but when you compare with the "upgraded" TV licence, what do you choose?

garyc

Expert Member
The fine for telling them to f*** *** is up to a maximum of R500. Guess I will take my chances with not letting them in.

CommonSense

Communists rarely care about private property.

I don't know how old you are, but....
Was the old SA government then also a communist state?

When I was a kid I remember the TV license inspectors coming around regularly to check if your license were paid up.

So, if you think this is communistic and you think the old SA was better in that regard, then it means the old government pre-94 was also communists. Did you serve proudly in their armed forces then?

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
the best solution is to scrap the TV lic system entirely and introduce the new household levy.

someone may not like the household levy but when you compare with the "upgraded" TV licence, what do you choose?

Why not have a household levy for car licences and internet connections then? After all those are also individual owner choices.

Not so enthusiastic now, are you?

rvZA

Executive Member

When I was a kid I remember the TV license inspectors coming around regularly to check if your license were paid up.

So, if you think this is communistic and you think the old SA was better in that regard, then it means the old government pre-94 was also communists. Did you serve proudly in their armed forces then?

You do realize, back in the day, if there are any truth to your comment at all, that you placed your TV license in your window by your door. They could enter if they wish, walk to your door, check it and leave. Back then they had an almost 90% compliance rate when it came to TV licenses. So, there were not really problems. When they did identify a problem, they would have come with the police, who did have authority to act in terms of the CPA.

You cannot compare a communist state with the old South Africa. They were not remotely the same.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

The old licence inspectors couldn't enter your home without a search warrant either. At least they worked unlike the present inspectors who haven't worked for 10 years but have been paid. It's not anyone's fault but the ANC that the old regime was far more efficient than the present regime and that you would land in court with the old regime.

And I proudly served in both the SADF and SANDF. Both were/are legally constituted forces of a sovereign state under the Geneva Convention. Your argument is moot.

CommonSense

You do realize, back in the day, if there are any truth to your comment at all, that you placed your TV license in your window by your door. They could enter if they wish, walk to your door, check it and leave. Back then they had an almost 90% compliance rate when it came to TV licenses. So, there were not really problems. When they did identify a problem, they would have come with the police, who did have authority to act in terms of the CPA.

You cannot compare a communist state with the old South Africa. They were not remotely the same.

Bullshee-t. It is clear that you don't have any proof of the 90% compiance rate claim and/or you didn't live in that time. So your comments is null.

Nice deflection, but the point remains. The same practice happened in that time and Vorastra says the practice comes from a communist state. I didn't make the assertion about the action, he did. I just pointed out that the inspection of TV licences is the same for both eras.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Bullshee-t. It is clear that you don't have any proof of the 90% compiance rate claim and/or you didn't live in that time. So your comments is null.

Nice deflection, but the point remains. The same practice happened in that time and Vorastra says the practice comes from a communist state. I didn't make the assertion about the action, he did. I just pointed out that the inspection of TV licences is the same for both eras.

Except that the ANC want's the search warrant to be scrapped and the licence inspectors to be allowed to enter your home without permission. That was not the case under the apartheid regime. And the no search warrant practice is communist where the state knows better than citizens and citizens have no constitutional protection.

I did live in that time and compliance with TV licences was far greater when I was young and I remember licence inspectors, even in a small village. I have not seen an inspector for about 30 years. Guess which regime that coincides with?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
TV Licence inspectors haven't worked in 10 years

The Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams, recently published the SABC Bill for public comment. The new law contains wording that allows TV licence inspectors to enter your home without a warrant.

Inspectors may only enter a property before dark unless they have a warrant or have the permission of the resident to enter.

This provision provoked anger among South Africans, but the SABC has told MyBroadband that TV licence inspectors will not be knocking on people's doors anytime soon.
:D Got to giggle.
Lots of thing haven't worked in 10 years, thousands more things haven't worked in 20 years, and billions of things haven't worked in 30 years. It's what we voted for, lekker man!

Viva ANC viva!

iu

deweyzeph

Executive Member

No, the best solution is to get rid of the SABC completely and stop expecting the public to pay for stuff it doesn't want.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
Why not have a household levy for car licences and internet connections then? After all those are also individual owner choices.

Not so enthusiastic now, are you?

just cry for "I won't pay" and then you don't need to pay?

funding for SOEs is "unavoidable", it only depends on "how" to fund them.

tell me, the only two options are a) household levy or b) TV licence, which one you will choose?
(PS: no any other option)

rvZA

Executive Member
At the end of the day, as the ANC normally do, is that they are not looking at the cause of the problem.

The real problem here is that, since the ANC took over, they have transformed the SABC in such manner that the majority of real license paying citizens can no longer watch the broadcaster and have no longer use for it. Now that they are no longer interested in paying their licenses or using its services, the SABC is collapsing economically.

They are now trying to force payment onto people who do not watch their channels, are not interested in their content, have no need for their content or services, in order to save the organization.

What they should do is looking at enforcing payments on the poor who do not pay, but watch these channels. Make TV licenses cheaper and work it into their R350 grants. Alternatively, force every state employee to donate a portion of their salary towards the SABC. Leave us taxpayers alone!

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
just cry for "I won't pay" and then you don't need to pay?

funding for SOEs is "unavoidable", it only depends on "how" to fund them.

How to fund SOE's? The much vaunted user pays principle of the ANC. Soweto owes Eskom over R16 Billion since the 1970's. If you want to fly SAA, you buy a ticket. No freebies for politicians and their families. Same for a train ticket. All SOE's were profitable under apartheid where all paid for services except the townships.

tell me, the only two options are a) household levy or b) TV licence, which one you will choose?
(PS: no any other option)

TV Licence. User pays for their service. If I don't watch SABC, I don't pay a TV licence. Don't charge me so that some ANC peasant voter can be exposed to ANC propaganda.