TV Licence inspectors haven't worked in 10 years

RedViking

Nord of the South
A remnant of the old government still haunting us. Fortunately the new era government is so incompetent it is the least of the problems we face

Swa

Honorary Master
just cry for "I won't pay" and then you don't need to pay?

funding for SOEs is "unavoidable", it only depends on "how" to fund them.

tell me, the only two options are a) household levy or b) TV licence, which one you will choose?
(PS: no any other option)
That's a false dichotomy. There are other options. c) it can be tax funded if needed. d) etv doesn't need funding for some reason.

Did the old inspectors walk into your house without a warrant which is what I'm specifically talking about?

I don't remember TV license inspectors ever being able to do that.
They can't walk into your house but you may not refuse them before dark. So no different than the old law.

CommonSense

He is talking s**t. He probably is lying about being a teenager that time too.

You are the one who is full of it.

Have any of you even bothered to read the proposed bill? My guess is "NO". I would also bet that anyone else who flew into an outrage in this thread has also not actually bothered.

Yet, you are the people who urge others to actually go READ THE ELECTION MANIFEST of any party other than the ANC etc. Yet you cannot even be bothered to read a public bill yourselves.

And then you lot go on like everyone else on Twitter you despise, getting your knickers in a knot. Based on some half arsed news report. You are unable to see that you are exactly the same as those on Twitter you condemn for their behaviour.

So here is the actual bill for comment:
SOUTH AFRICAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION SOC LTD BILL, 2021

6) The Corporation may appoint any person as an authorised
inspector.
(7) An authorised inspector may—
(a) require a person who is required in terms of subsection (1) to be in possession
of a television licence to produce such television licence for inspection;
(b) require a person who uses a television set, or a person who is the owner or
occupier of any premises on which a television set is used, to produce such
television set for examination, in order to determine whether the provisions of
this Act have been complied with;

40 No. 44865 GOVERNMENT GAZETTE, 16 July 2021
(c) require a person who uses a television set to furnish his or her identity
document or licence registration number, whichever is applicable;
(d) require a person who uses a television set, or a person who is the owner or
occupier of any premises on which a television set is used, to furnish such
information as may be prescribed or necessary in order to determine whether
this Act has been complied with;
(e) require a business, dealer or lessor to produce records relating to transactions
involving television sets for inspection, and make extracts therefrom or copies
thereof;
(f) enter upon any land, in so far as this may be necessary, in order to exercise
a power conferred on him or her by this Act: Provided that entry may not be
gained to a residence after dark without a warrant or the occupier’s
permission. "

You people are so blinded by your hatred that you are unable to look at things objectively anymore.
You blame others for problems, but you yourself are actually part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Some of you need to take a hard look in a mirror to examine yourselves to get to grips of who and what you are at heart.

I know. Deflect and obfiscate and deny and mis-direct, that will be your next step. Exactly that that which you point towards the governement. You have become that which you despise. Congratulations. The blind raging against the blind.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
If you want to find out which inspector is the fastest, take them to Soweto and knock on any door of your choice!!

Vorastra

Executive Member
They can't walk into your house but you may not refuse them before dark. So no different than the old law.
It is different. The old law respected private property. You had to go to them to show them your license.

My original comment stands. @CommonSense defying his own name.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
is that not they propose to change the law that the "inspector" can enter your house without a warrant?

i

Not even a cop can enter your premises to check for a TV licence without a search warrant, day or night. It's against the constitution. No law can trump the constitution. Do you understand how this works?

Last edited:

CommonSense

It is different. The old law respected private property. You had to go to them to show them your license.

You are clearly below average. "Had to go to them to show them your license" LOL - What a moronic statement.
Like there were queues of people going to "show" their license.

I remember plenty of times that inspectors came to our house and my parents had to show their TV license.
Yes, the walked right up to the front door and knocked. And like civilized people my parents opened up.
There were no high walls and security cameras and electric fences and pitbulls and armed patrols etc. like today.

In fact. When I moved out I didn't have a TV license. I bought my TV using my parents license.

Then one day an Inspector knocked on my door and I had to admit that "Yes, I do own a TV set" and "No, I didn't have my own license". Was written up and had to pay a penalty and get my license up to date.

You Moron you

Reactions: Swa

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

You can refuse them any time from walking into your house. Not even a cop can enter before dark without a search warrant for a TV licence.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

That bill gives them powers greater than the police have at present. No cop can enter your home day or night without a search warrant for a TV licence at present. For a magistrate to grant that warrant evidence that you may have a TV set will have to be provided by the cops to the magistrate.

No cop can compel you to produce your ID or any documentation at your home without a charge laid against you either.

Now you want to give TV licence inspectors more powers than a cop?

Before you rant, check whether the proposed powers of a TV licence inspector exceed that of a cop.

Swa

Honorary Master

No it doesn't. If you show them your license they have no reason to enter as it then doesn't matter if you have a TV or not. But if you can't they had the "right" to enter and search.

Vorastra

Executive Member
You are clearly below average. "Had to go to them to show them your license" LOL - What a moronic statement.
Like there were queues of people going to "show" their license.

I remember plenty of times that inspectors came to our house and my parents had to show their TV license.
Yes, the walked right up to the front door and knocked. And like civilized people my parents opened up.
There were no high walls and security cameras and electric fences and pitbulls and armed patrols etc. like today.

In fact. When I moved out I didn't have a TV license. I bought my TV using my parents license.

Then one day an Inspector knocked on my door and I had to admit that "Yes, I do own a TV set" and "No, I didn't have my own license". Was written up and had to pay a penalty and get my license up to date.

You Moron you
And still nothing you've said has anything to do with what I originally said, you mong.

What a moronic statement.
Wait until you find out not everywhere in South Africa had open yards back the day.

Common sense. Never has a name been so misused.

Vorastra

Executive Member
That bill gives them powers greater than the police have at present. No cop can enter your home day or night without a search warrant for a TV licence at present. For a magistrate to grant that warrant evidence that you may have a TV set will have to be provided by the cops to the magistrate.

No cop can compel you to produce your ID or any documentation at your home without a charge laid against you either.

Now you want to give TV licence inspectors more powers than a cop?

Before you rant, check whether the proposed powers of a TV licence inspector exceed that of a cop.
I'm starting to think that @CommonSense is legit retarded.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

The inspector asked a question that caused you to incriminate yourself. You have the right to remain silent. If you weren't warned about that, under law that would make the penalty null and void and any magistrate would throw the case out.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
A remnant of the old government still haunting us. Fortunately the new era government is so incompetent it is the least of the problems we face
Thanks to this new era government, our populace have become far more morally aware, and always do the right thing. We no longer need silly things like the death penalty, everyone pays their traffic fines, etollie is self-sustaining and one of the finest examples of our new upstanding and compliant citizenry, and SABC TV Licenses sommer pay themselves. What a wonderful place Wakanda is to live in!

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
No, you said so.
Show me this pre-1990 section in law that allowed TV license inspectors to walk in your house.
If they could do it before, it makes no sense why you can’t buy a TV without a license.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
No it doesn't. If you show them your license they have no reason to enter as it then doesn't matter if you have a TV or not. But if you can't they had the "right" to enter and search.

Wrong. Not even a cop can enter your place to search for a TV licence without a search warrant.