TV Licence inspectors haven't worked in 10 years

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
I have no clue what you're trying to say.
Why do you need to show a license when buying a TV, if at any time a inspector can just pitch up and search.

Because they aren’t allowed to do it.
It’s simple logic to flow.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Wrong. Not even a cop can enter your place to search for a TV licence without a search warrant.
Technically a policeman can enter your house without permission or a warrant if he has a good reason to think you've broken a law and they would've gotten a warrant. Now it depends, is TV license fraud considered schedule 1?

Swa

Honorary Master
No, you said so.
Show me this pre-1990 section in law that allowed TV license inspectors to walk in your house.
You miss the point you can refuse but then there are penalties. THAT's how they got you.

Wrong. Not even a cop can enter your place to search for a TV licence without a search warrant.
We aren't talking about cops. Your normal rights don't matter.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Thanks to this new era government, our populace have become far more morally aware, and always do the right thing. We no longer need silly things like the death penalty, everyone pays their traffic fines, etollie is self-sustaining and one of the finest examples of our new upstanding and compliant citizenry, and SABC TV Licenses sommer pay themselves. What a wonderful place Wakanda is to live in!
Nee man! The Grim reaper also used to knock on the doors? :eek:

RedViking

Nord of the South
You are clearly below average. "Had to go to them to show them your license" LOL - What a moronic statement.
Like there were queues of people going to "show" their license.

I remember plenty of times that inspectors came to our house and my parents had to show their TV license.
Yes, the walked right up to the front door and knocked. And like civilized people my parents opened up.
There were no high walls and security cameras and electric fences and pitbulls and armed patrols etc. like today.

In fact. When I moved out I didn't have a TV license. I bought my TV using my parents license.

Then one day an Inspector knocked on my door and I had to admit that "Yes, I do own a TV set" and "No, I didn't have my own license". Was written up and had to pay a penalty and get my license up to date.

You Moron you
Are you sure it wasn't the post man? ;)

Vorastra

Executive Member
You miss the point you can refuse but then there are penalties. THAT's how they got you.
Now how does that factor into my original point that TV inspectors were never allowed to just walk into your house and search...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That is why you never chucked away the old TV. They will come collect it for free. :ROFL:
All TVs and these days, the level of knowledge about the diff between a TV and monitor will mean anything even remotely looks like a TV would be gone!
Give me back my old squad and we will clear entire neighbour hoods every week.

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
All TVs and these days, the level of knowledge about the diff between a TV and monitor will mean anythingveven remotely looksxlije a TV would be gone!
Give me back my old squad and we will clear entire neighbour hoods every week.
Yap, we screwed.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Technically a policeman can enter your house without permission or a warrant if he has a good reason to think you've broken a law and they would've gotten a warrant. Now it depends, is TV license fraud considered schedule 1?

A citizens arrest can be performed for schedule 1 offences and for those a cop can enter a premises without a search warrant if he considers that a schedule 1 offence has been or is about to be committed.

But I think your unlicenced TV owner next door is going to sue your pants off if you arrest her using citizens arrest for not having a TV licence.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
We aren't talking about cops. Your normal rights don't matter.

So, according to you, TV licence inspectors have greater powers of search than a cop, who has to get a magistrates permission to search for anything other than a schedule 1 offence?

Last edited: