TVWS (TV White Spaces) - the big project at last

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
https://www.axios.com/microsoft-to-deliver-rural-broadband-via-tv-white-spaces-a7b9ad4e-2d2c-4732-800c-6fae2e2ca576.html

Microsoft is working with a small broadband provider to bring Internet service to portions of New York and Maine using so-called TV "white spaces."

Why it matters: After years about talking up the notion of bringing broadband to rural america via gaps in the TV airwaves, Microsoft has struck a commercial deal to do just that.

The deal: Microsoft is working with RTO Wireless to bring the Internet to 290,000 people in parts of New York and Maine. The effort uses what are known as TV "white spaces," slivers of unused spectrum in the range used by television broadcasters.

The big picture: Microsoft has said it wants to bring broadband access to 2 million people in rural America by July 2022. It previously reached commercial deals with Packerland Broadband in Wisconsin and Michigan and Declaration Networks in Virginia and Maryland.

Yes, but: The overall white spaces effort has drawn opposition from TV broadcasters and hospitals, concerned about potential wireless interference.
Hopefully this will be the game-changing project we've been waiting for.

sawireless

White Spave

Been helping a friend test White Space in Johannesburg, the problem there is to much interference on the frequency's, as soon as you get a frequency free the one day the next day it is been used 400Mhz to 700Mhz, also have found that someone has a UHF / VHF two way radio on the same frequency and close to the Base Station and hold the key, it blocks communication to the client, so the time he is talking on the Radio, the clients wont have internet.

The Base station Capacity and client unit is 200 Mbps, but with interference we were getting 15 Mbps in Johannesburg.

We are going to do a tests in the rural area, and will give feed back on the forum as to the out come.

I would say use it in the rural area, it might work, but you are also looking at cost per user, unit is not cheep.

Installation is the old looking SADC TV antenna that we busy testing, for the interference, there are other units available.

But as i said if you have someone in the area with a Two Radio on the same frequency, you are a bit stuffed.

Last edited:

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Been helping a friend test White Space in Johannesburg, the problem there is to much interference on the frequency's, as soon as you get a frequency free the one day the next day it is been used 400Mhz to 700Mhz, also have found that someone has a UHF / VHF two way radio on the same frequency and close to the Base Station and hold the key, it blocks communication to the client, so the time he is talking on the Radio, the clients wont have internet.

The Base station Capacity and client unit is 200 Mbps, but with interference we were getting 15 Mbps in Johannesburg.

We are going to do a tests in the rural area, and will give feed back on the forum as to the out come.

I would say use it in the rural area, it might work, but you are also looking at cost per user, unit is not cheep.

Installation is the old looking SADC TV antenna that we busy testing, for the interference, there are other units available.

But as i said if you have someone in the area with a Two Radio on the same frequency, you are a bit stuffed.
15Mbps is a big step forward for many South Africans, particularly in rural areas, although I'm assuming you got that on one link and so multi-users would need to share that.

ICASA has promulgated the regulations but hasn't found a supplier to run the geographic database to run this. Once that is done they can assign spectrum on a geographic basis to users and then investigate interference as other users would be illegal.

If you assigned spectrum (I presume you are using a temporary licence from ICASA for your tests) then it's best to switch the unit on to highest allowed levels before your tests and it may at least drive other users off the spectrum.

The reason I posted this is partly because the project I mention should bring costs of equipment down. Being able to use existing TV antennas is a big plus for the costs.