Twitter permanently bans Donald Trump

Gnarls

Expert Member
Please direct me to the thread where Uganda vs FB and Twitter is being discussed so that I can discuss it in the correct context - this thread title is "Twitter permanently bans Trump"

Ok dude, be pedantic then.

Executive Member
Unless you can magically go back in time there is no other way to address the issue.

Uganda? Yeah, that's an interesting discussion waiting to happen - it wasn't the topic of the above discussion though.

Yeah, do social medias need to retroactively apply their systems/t&cs to old posts? Practically speaking it's not really possible and it would open a new can of worms.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Ok dude, be pedantic then.
Jirre tog, even the worst behaved Republicans and Democrats adhere to the rules (as evidenced by their adherence to time during the impeachment debate "I cede 30 seconds to the Honourable Member from Texas"), of course, here in South Africa it's mos 'free for all' and when people adhere to rules they are being pedantic...

Gnarls

Expert Member
Jirre tog, even the worst behaved Republicans and Democrats adhere to the rules (as evidenced by their adherence to time during the impeachment debate "I cede 30 seconds to the Honourable Member from Texas"), of course, here in South Africa it's mos 'free for all' and when people adhere to rules they are being pedantic...

If this was the case, 90% of the conversations in the political threads would be DOA.

Also, world leaders like Angela Merkel are voicing the same criticisms raised in this thread.

Angela Merkel, German chancellor, has sharply criticised Twitter’s decision to ban US president Donald Trump, calling it a “problematic” breach of the “fundamental right to free speech”.

Sauce

But MyBB experts....

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
If this was the case, 90% of the conversations in the political threads would be DOA.

Also, world leaders like Angela Merkel are voicing the same criticisms raised in this thread.

But MyBB experts....

Man, forget other world leaders, even @Jack himself recognises this

@jack
·
Jan 14

Yes, we all need to look critically at inconsistencies of our policy and enforcement. Yes, we need to look at how our service might incentivize distraction and harm. Yes, we need more transparency in our moderation operations. All this can’t erode a free and open global internet.

On balance, and taking into the account the context, he made the right call , not an easy one, but the correct one in the context of what was/is happening in the USA right now.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Oh, and by the way, Europe has zero love for Big Tech, especially US based Big Tech and hasn't for a very long time.

Europe want's more regulation and more governmental oversight

It's a slippery slope in both directions...

lawmakers rather than private tech companies should decide on the limits to freedom of speech.

Clement Beaune, France's junior minister for European Union Affairs, said such decisions should be taken by governments rather than chief executives.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.co.za/merkel-criticises-twitter-for-suspending-trumps-account-2021-1

Executive Member
Oh, and by the way, Europe has zero love for Big Tech, especially US based Big Tech and hasn't for a very long time.

Europe want's more regulation and more governmental oversight

It's a slippery slope in both directions...

Source: https://www.businessinsider.co.za/merkel-criticises-twitter-for-suspending-trumps-account-2021-1

I fully understand why everyone is nervous about america's big tech.

You could destroy a country's digital ecosystem overnight with some select changes in t&cs.

Gnarls

Expert Member
Man, forget other world leaders, even @Jack himself recognises this

On balance, and taking into the account the context, he made the right call , not an easy one, but the correct one in the context of what was/is happening in the USA right now.

No, I won't forget about other world leaders since her relevance is as follows:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel objected to the decisions, saying on Monday that lawmakers should set the rules governing free speech and not private technology companies.

Ironic, since Twitter et al are asking everyone else to bow the knee.

buka001

Honorary Master

lexity

Expert Member
Such civil folks.

If someone is targeted by a threat e.g. an amazon worker, are they pressing charges against the msg poster?

Threatening violence has always been illegal. The fact it is done online, shouldn't make any difference.

So if they aren't pressing charges, why not?

I find it hard to believe Parler would be so stupid as to deny access to details of a criminal or someone showing probable cause. If they are that stupid, why are the Left not calling them on it?

More likely Big Tech (or 'Big Gate-keeper/Big Snitch') have lost all restraint and are being used to push use of the law for prevention of crime.

But the law is for publishing the consequences for breaking group rules, not for making sure nobody can break them. Human beings, unless you're part of the Left's degraded view of human beings, have human agency.

This is why the Left seek to pass hate-speech laws. It's as if they don't see a moral agent before them. If someone expresses hate for another person, they must be dragged away and incarcerated because hate == a violent, physical act to follow i.e. the two are inseparable.

lexity

Expert Member
I agree there, except the criticism is of a monopolized industry.

If there are no artificial barriers to entry, then there is no problem banning people for silly, snowflake reasons.

What would an artificial barrier look like, in the case of twitter?

Any hoops that cost money to jump through to get state permission to operate as a server, on the scale it takes to host a twitter-like service e.g. 'Corporate Responsibility', if there are any legal hoops involved with that. I suspect there are.

For the same reason large companies don't mind regulatory hurdles. They are essentially a small price to pay to keep would-be competitors out. But it's completely antithetical to the core founding values i.e. protection of privacy of person and property. Regulatory hurdles must remain a private concern. The state has zero role to play in regulating industry. Zero.

Then there is the question of claims/adverts twitter has made to the effect they will host open debates and be accomodating of a variety of viewpoints.

See the problem there? That would be a case of misleading advertizing, if they then decided to throw someone off because they didn't like his face or mannerisms.

So if there are no artifical barriers to entry, and no misleading advertizing of services, then it is totally fine to willy-nilly cancel people. Even the POTUS.

For example, several of my replies were deleted yesterday. No explanation. But I don't pay for the service. So, I mock mybb mods about censoring me, but I can't really b*tch too much. I don't have a right to use this forum. I have so far considered it a win-win relationship, to a large extent. At some point it may prove to not be a win-win, at which point one of us will end it. Even though the numbers of followers in the case of a Trump account are significant, its the same principle.

Trump, is unfortunately not himself economically literate enough to step through some basic principles. And I don't say his instincts in some cases have not benefited not only US citizens but the world. That is 100% the case. Especially when it comes to openly dissing and mocking whiny MSM media. Just that if all he does is rely on his wits and instincts, he's going to come up short. It requires a principled, well-read person to drain the swamp

The state is the perfect instrument for sheltering the willingly incompetent. Which is why you should expect the worst among civilians to gravitate to positions, within the apparatus of the state, which offer the opportunity for greatest influence. You should expect to find wicked people within its ranks, including those with the gift of the gab, and who have impeccable dress-sense. And who dote on the poor incessantly while actively undermining the middle-class' capacity to bring the poor out of poverty.

p.s. nobody has a right to healthcare. Healthcare is a service like any other. You don't go to a restaurant a demand to be served, unless you're prepared to risk being thrown out on your ass. Everyone has the right to engage voluntarily for delivery of health services. But that is entirely different from the entitlement-mentallity-driven 'we have a right to health-care' (which usually means you have been promised a subsidy, at the expense of some other 'undeserving' human being).

Last edited:

lexity

Expert Member
Will Malema be next? :unsure:
Malema is useful to the blue-bloods, because he's furthering their agenda e.g. he is driving the unsuspecting middle-class, with chattering teeth, towards internationalist policy, which of course is to obliterate P4 (legal protection of privacy of person and property).

surface

Honorary Master
I am hearing that hunter organized this Russian move. Wicked.