Two R100,000 fines issued for not preventing WASP fraud

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Peanuts. Make them suffer! They probably make more than that in one day from WASP fraud...

FaSMaN

Expert Member
A good first step, but chances are they will shutdown the businesses and register two new ones, and continue like nothing has happened.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
"Buongiorno South Africa said it had taken reasonable steps to secure its networks and systems".
What the hell is that even supposed to mean? A more generalised statement can't be made up by even the most talented.

Swa

Honorary Master
WASPA is a toothless shark. Last time they issued fines the companies simply stopped their membership. We need a real regulatory body instead of a dead weight who's entire existence is self-justified.

Sollie

Expert Member
WASPA is a toothless shark. Last time they issued fines the companies simply stopped their membership. We need a real regulatory body instead of a dead weight who's entire existence is self-justified.
Not actually. The process to complain about things that are written into law and not enforced is the real issue. Using these channels is just a real slow process and a real PITA. I've tested the WASPA (and related ISPA) processes. We saw some nice fines being meted out ...

But this should not have eevn been necessary in the first place. The current systems are not bullet proof for all situations either.

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
I blame the service providers. They should be fined double the billions they made in profit.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
These fines are the same as fining me 50 cents for farting in a shopping mall. Try harder WASPA. Try harder

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Honestly - what actual service does WASP services perform?!?
A lot.

Not everything they do is to milk consumers, actually a lot of the SMS messages you get from companies for your parcel tracking, doctor's appointment, OTP's, medical aid notifications, etc will most likely originate from a WASP unless that company has it's own telemetric modem farm.

But that is the part of the industry that benefits the consumer because there is a good chance you opted into those messages and they are also not costing you directly.

This artical is the "other part" and the reason why I left the industry after seven years. Just got tired of telling people I was unemployed instead of who I actually worked for :)

Reactions: 3WA