Tycoon's Billion Rand Offer to Fight Crime

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
The South African government under Thabo Mbeki rejected an offer of R1 billion from a leading South African businessman to help fight serious crime.

The same offer, to pour money into helicopters, computers and hi-tech equipment, is to be made to President Jacob Zuma, who has spoken out strongly on the need to fight crime.

The extraordinary offer to Mbeki and now to Zuma comes from one of South Africa's most successful entrepreneurs, Douw Steyn.

He has revealed to the Sunday Tribune that he wrote a lengthy dossier, now printed in book form, detailing how he believed South Africa should go about purging the scourge of crime.

He had been motivated in part by two bad experiences that led to his sister emigrating.

"I told him (Mbeki) I would sponsor a whole new approach to fighting crime. The first phase of a three-part programme would cost R1 billion and I would pay it."

All this was documented in Steyn's proposal.

"Mbeki told me I got it wrong. He said we didn't have a problem with crime in this country - the problem was that we had a perception of crime."

Steyn intends to repeat his offer to Zuma, who he has not met.

"Crime is a major problem in this country. I am still prepared to help the government, but please don't misread my motives. I don't want glory. The plan is to do all this in collaboration with the police."

Steyn said R1 billion would buy proper equipment to tackle the problem. "We are talking about buying satellite equipment, computers and helicopters for regular patrols - they would be available to police all over this country.

"The intention is to give them hi-tech facilities, which they don't really have now, to combat crime.

"They need to fight crime with special equipment, the best available. I propose to help fund a major assault on crime so that much of it can be eradicated.

"To do that, we would also need a specially created crime squad. And security guards should be given the right to shoot back.

"When criminals are caught, they should be locked away for a long time.

"My sister left this country because she had a few bad experiences of crime. Never mind letting criminals chase tourists away - they are chasing us away.

"It is a desperate situation and the government doesn't realise the damage it's doing."

Government spokesperson Themba Maseko did not know of any meeting between Steyn and Mbeki, and referred comments to Mukoni Rat****anga, the spokesman for the former president.

Rat****anga said that if Mbeki had pronounced on the matter, it would have been in his capacity as leader of the country. He could not comment on the content of material he had not seen.

Graham Wright, deputy chief executive of Business Against Crime, said the organisation could not comment on information to which it had not been privy.

"As far as we know, the government has made the fight against crime one of its top five priorities."

Steyn's warning to Mbeki was clear: "Crime is South Africa's main problem.

"It will be the end of this country as we know it unless it is tackled rigorously.

"If we do that, the rest will follow, and benefits such as investment, tourism and jobs, will flow from that. It is the most pressing issue facing us and we need to get it right. If we get this solved, tourists will flock to this country. It is a beautiful place and the whole world wants to come here.

"If all those visitors come, imagine the money they will bring in, the jobs they will create.

"Then there is the business investment which would increase vastly. We wouldn't have to create anything to achieve all this; it is here and waiting.

"We have a sunny, beautiful climate with low costs involved in flying to and around the country. People would come to have the most wonderful holidays.

"All that is preventing this from happening right now is a small group of hard-core criminals.

"They are not sophisticated, like the Mafia. And please don't tell me it's all because of social deprivation. A lot of people are starving in South Africa, but they don't go out and rob and murder."

Steyn said: "Of course, I knew Thabo from years ago. But by the time he got to be president, he seemed to have lost touch with reality."

Source: News24

I really hope that Zuma accepts it and that something constructive is done. It's a step in the right direction. Anyone read his book?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Mbeki was a big ahole... I'd rather have GW Bush and that's saying a lot...

R13...

Honorary Master
R1 billion is a very generous and to some extent one can understand why the government refused to accept the offer. Sounds like Mr Steyn wants to use the money to implement HIS plan to fighting crime, all he needs is for the government to supply the manpower to operate his hi-tech gear. Any government, especially Mbeki's paranoid one, would view that with some suspicion.

Zuma's government will likely be willing to lend an ear, but it is unlikely they'd let him just implement his plan.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I have long maintained that if the government refuses to deal with the crime issue, that they should be charged as accomplices in the major crimes. Their refusal to take reasonable or even extraordinary steps amounts to complicity in the crimes. Let a few of the government ministers sit behind bars for a few years and they will have a whole new view of crime... from the inside.

genetic

Honorary Master
I think Mr Steyn might get more of a response from Zuma than Mbeki. Mbeki was useless.

peace

We can not win this crime war with money, Govt need strong will to fight crime,
Something they lack of.

CyraxHB

Expert Member
The solution to the crime problem is not money. The government already has plenty of that.

The solution is a competent and dedicated police force.

killadoob

Honorary Master
Mbeki was the most useless waste of air this country has ever seen.

It is not the police force that is the problem, i believe it is the system when they arrest criminals they get out on bail of next to nothing.

It must be pretty hard being in the police force seeing criminals having more rights than the people they protect while taking home crap salaries.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
This guy will no doubt be labelled a racist or some counter-revolutionary.

Alan

Honorary Master
Reminds me of the guy offering millions in reward to African governments for not being corrupt. Seems on this continent you have to bribe the politicians into good governance. :eek:

killadoob

Honorary Master
Because that is how they respond to 99% of criticism.

Zuma has acknowledged crime is a problem, mbeki said there was no problem so again i am unsure as too why "they" would say anything bad about this offer.

Mbeki is gone, let's see what happens :p, how do we know if they accept it, that it will go towards crime fighting and not line someone's pocket very nicely?

krycor

Honorary Master
The problem with this you don't want a private police force, and it would depend on the fine print of the deal.(tia, there is ALWAYS fine print with offers like this)

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Why do you say that?

1. He's white.
2. He's rich.
3. He's disagreeing with the all-knowing, ever-wise ANC government.
4. He's willing to pay cash but surely has some other ulterior motives.

The big reason of course is, that no-one will show them how to do things
or run things or take their glory away. They're in charge now and colonial help is no longer wanted.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
The problem with this you don't want a private police force, and it would depend on the fine print of the deal.(tia, there is ALWAYS fine print with offers like this)

We already have private police forces in the form of the security companies.

marine1

Honorary Master
Well coming from a gangster, he would know how to stop or beat crime :D

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

The ANC definitely will not want Scorpions 2.0.

Secondly one can throw as much money as you want at a problem but when you want the ANC to implement it, it is doomed to fail. Steyn knows this thus he will definitely want to put somebody in control which he knows will be able to successfully implement it. The ANC will not like this.

Glock26

Expert Member
The govt will NEVER take money from a private individual to fight crime. That would be admitting they couldn't afford it, or didn't know how to do it.
There is absolutely NO chance this will go anywhere...with any SA govt ever.

And anyways...the cops don't need more money to fight crime anyways.
We offfered them millions (perhaps billions) for the collectors guns that were handed in for destruction, and would have exported them all overseas to collectors. They said no, and destroyed them. We tried for years to reason with them, but they were determined that even a 100 year old antique must be melted.
I saw a $100,000 shotgun go for destruction, and when we asked the police how many radios, bulletproof vests and fuel that would have bought, they just shrugged.

So they don't need money, and if they ever cry that they don't have funds or equipment..they can suck my **** as far as I am concerned. **** them.

G26

PeterCH

Honorary Master
I saw a $100,000 shotgun go for destruction, and when we asked the police how many radios, bulletproof vests and fuel that would have bought, they just shrugged.

So they don't need money, and if they ever cry that they don't have funds or equipment..they can suck my **** as far as I am concerned. **** them.

G26

Sounds like typical ANC mentality.