Tycoon's Billion Rand Offer to Fight Crime

R13...

Honorary Master
I doubt the gov would turn down 1bil without good reason. What ever the knee jerk reactions, this steyn can potentially make them look bad. The gov wont want to be shown by someone with potentially personal motive. You cant purport to "donate" money and then want to dictate down to the last detail how it shud be spent!

lsuacner

Expert Member
It is not like Zuma to refuse money - just tell him he would get his fair share and transfer R500 000 to his personal account and he would go for this.

Xcallibor

I think the current government will assess the offer and have amendments where necessary (where every political party will have a say in the matter), and if the offer is legitimate then it may be accepted.

I think Zuma will only take part in accepting the offer to be debated in parliament. And rest will be done by a collective and democratic manner. :D

nivek

Honorary Master
i think zuma will take it just for the sake of making mbeki look like a tw*t

Balstrome

Banned
How about giving the coin to the person will be able to use it wisely, yup, correct WC and Zille.

Aeron

Yay! Tinfoil hat time. Who the **** in their right mind makes a R 1 billion gift (with R 2 bil more to come by the sound of it) with no ulterior motive? No one! HAHHAH! Duh. Ulterior motive be damned! some say. Not when it comes to fighting crime, others (me) say.

Fidentia's boss ran away with hundreds of millions and now he's been-attacked-in-jail and is-lying-in-hosptial and -probably-has-aids and is probably being politically-conspired-against and as such can't go to prison, ala Zoom Zoom. Imagine what kind of influence a guy like Douwtjie can buy with a R 1 billion in the right place. That money will be put in a trust with strict conditions (all Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Warrn Buffett save-the-world donations are), perhaps like if he goes the jail the money will be pulled out instantly and used to pay his legal team, his wife's dentist, etc. That would sure as heel convince the government not to prosecute him.

Sly21C

Expert Member
"Mbeki told me I got it wrong. He said we didn't have a problem with crime in this country - the problem was that we had a perception of crime."

Fsck Mbeki, he clearly lost touch with reality, he also believed that white people are taking over this country and he would have done exactly what Mugabe did to Zimbabwe. Good riddens he is gone, and it's a good thing Zuma is president, he at least listens. I just hope Zuma doesn't listen to his alliance partners too much because they (SACP and COSATU) can make stupid remarks and give unfounded advice.

Although I don't think Steyn's idea will reduce crime dramatically, I do believe however that it's a step in the right direction, and I also believe that if Steyn's idea is implemented, foreign investment money will flood this country like crazy and a lot of job opportunities will be created because foreign investors will perceive Steyn's idea of fighting crime as a road to a crime free SA.

sox63

Executive Member
"And in other news, Auto & General is appointed sole Insurance provider for Goverment's national fleet of vehicles." :rolleyes:

Douw Steyn is not THAT rich to give a billion rand away, with no strings attached.

Natas

Expert Member
The problem is that he can give them the money, but if he doesn't closely monitor its usage, we'll all be finding out about how the money got spent on cr4p about a year later on carte blanche...

I love the way here in africa, whenever someone is given money to do something worthwhile, the first entry in their plan of action is always to buy themselves a range rover... Once thats done, we can start thinking about whatever else needs to be done!