TymeBank already has over 50,000 customers

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
TymeBank already has over 50,000 customers

TymeBank CEO Sandile Shabalala announced that the bank has signed up over 50,000 customers to its services since soft-launching in November 2018.

Speaking at the BusinessTech Digital Banking Conference, Shabalala said the new digital bank wants to change the way South Africans do banking - for the better.

Happy Days

The only crap is that you need to have done your biometrics at DOH, otherwise you can't be authenticated and issued with a physical card.

gamer16

Honorary Master
The only crap is that you need to have done your biometrics at DOH, otherwise you can't be authenticated and issued with a physical card.
If you have a RSA ID it'll be there so its kind of a given.

Dups!

So far so good. I am, however, still waiting for my Pick n Pay branch(es) to have a Tyme Bank kiosk, disappointing that I have been waiting for the card since December 25 (date account was opened).

Another thing that would be great is if the app was improved, it is a bit slow and a few important features are missing.

fruitbat

Expert Member
All the peeps I know who opened an account, did it to test it. They all still bank with one of the big 5. I wish them luck to get salaries paid into these.

access

Executive Member
just says i need an id number and a cellphone number. fraudsters paradise?

Happy Days

What about when you get your passport? I am sure they registered my fingerprints when I renewed my one.
Don't have one, yet. And that's the rub, you need to have your biometrics done at DOH before you can get the card. Part of Tyme Bank is Tyme Coach which gives you free access to your credit report and credit score - no more only one free report per year, if I understood it correctly.

@access - I have seen nothing that makes me think anything fraud-related. Tyme would have been vetted by PnP before allowing them access (pun intended) to their stores.

access

Executive Member
Don't have one, yet. And that's the rub, you need to have your biometrics done at DOH before you can get the card. Part of Tyme Bank is Tyme Coach which gives you free access to your credit report and credit score - no more only one free report per year, if I understood it correctly.

@access - I have seen nothing that makes me think anything fraud-related. Tyme would have been vetted by PnP before allowing them access (pun intended) to their stores.
lol. i just went to their website and it said all i needed was an id number and cellphone number. considering how many fake id operations there are it seemed a bit easy..

biometrics at doh? department of health? or dha, department of home affairs

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
All the peeps I know who opened an account, did it to test it. They all still bank with one of the big 5. I wish them luck to get salaries paid into these.
I experienced zero transactional issues since the soft launch. I signed up like within 15 minutes from going live with signups. Completed my full activation a couple of weeks ago when they finally activated a kiosk within my vicinity. Seamless so far.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
lol. i just went to their website and it said all i needed was an id number and cellphone number. considering how many fake id operations there are it seemed a bit easy..

biometrics at doh? department of health? or dha, department of home affairs
You need your ID number because you will enter it and they will use the scanners on the kiosk to verify you are you with the DHA biometrics information. If the fraudsters has their fraudulent biometrics on the DHA database instead of yours, then you're properly f'd anyway. And obviously the cellphone nr is required so they can send you SMSs or whatever (I'd guess).