Tyre/Rim Damage From Potholes in Johannesburg

Jola

Honorary Master
Has anyone here managed to claim for tyre / rim damage due to potholes from Johannesburg Metro ?

What was the process ? Any tips / email addresses / contacts / forms, etc ?

I have had a lot of damage from potholes over the years, but lately it has been especially bad, and the last incident cost me R5000.

In the past I just carried the cost, but I have now had enough, and want to claim damages.

The guy at TWT says that as far as he knows some of his clients have managed to claim.

BTW, he says that most of their business comes from pothole damage,

S.Claus

Expert Member
You can still try claiming against the RAF but I think the piggybank is empty so it will take months before you see any results (that’s a big if on the results) . Get a set of aftermarket rims that save weight and don’t cost a arm and leg for one from the dealer

Edit: You can’t claim against the RAF for potholes even if I wish you could (thank you for pointing it out @supersunbird)

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Has anyone here managed to claim for tyre / rim damage due to potholes from Johannesburg Metro ?

What was the process ? Any tips / email addresses / contacts / forms, etc ?

I have had a lot of damage from potholes over the years, but lately it has been especially bad, and the last incident cost me R5000.

In the past I just carried the cost, but I have now had enough, and want to claim damages.

The guy at TWT says that as far as he knows some of his clients have managed to claim.

BTW, he says that most of their business comes from pothole damage,

Many municipalities do have mechanisms where you can attempt to claim through for Pothole damage. I know it kind of works in eThekwini but it takes many many months of fighting to get a payout.

Jola

Honorary Master
Stop driving into potholes?

It was at night, couldn't see them.

Better suggestion would be to scrap BMW, and only drive 4x4 in Joburg !!!

You need serious sidewalls for Joburg driving.

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
I claimed from the Johannesburg Road Agency in 2016.

It took them 5 months to pay out and, even then, they only paid out a portion of the claim.

You can see details of how to claim here: https://www.jra.org.za/customer-service/vehicle-damage

Hmm, reading through those forms it seems that they are specifically designed so that they do not have to pay out.

BTW, what % portion did they pay out ?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

Stop being such a pussy
Drive faster over the potholes so that you glide over them

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
I notice here in CTN they're in no rush to fix these holes anymore ... they rather send out a crew to plant a pole + sign that reads "POTHOLES!" ....

Viva my bru :X3:

Pineapple Smurf

I notice here in CTN they're in no rush to fix these holes naymore ... they rather send out a crew to plant a pole + sign that reads "POTHOLES!" ....

Viva my bru :X3:
Yeah here in Somerset West as well
The roads are getting more and more crappy each year
Still not as bad as the roads in Eastern Cape I noticed when I was there in May a few months ago

RonSwanson

Executive Member

You need serious sidewalls for Joburg driving.
True, I stopped driving high performance cars with low-profile tyres in 2011 already. They are just not practical for SA.

Pineapple Smurf

No, only 4x4 for Joburg.

Maybe AWD, but only if enough rubber and ground clearance.

Best would be 1995 Defender 90. Remember, we are decolonizing.
90 is too short, very bumpy, a 110 is minimum, a 130 would just be perfect