Tyre/Rim Damage From Potholes in Johannesburg

x32

Hmm, reading through those forms it seems that they are specifically designed so that they do not have to pay out.

BTW, what % portion did they pay out ?
They paid out for the cost of a replacement tyre (which was around 4k if I remember correctly) but they didn't pay for the labour involved in replacing the tyre or balancing and alignment. At that stage, I was so over fighting them and dealing with their incompetence that I just decided to give up.

Jola

Honorary Master
They paid out for the cost of a replacement tyre (which was around 4k if I remember correctly) but they didn't pay for the labour involved in replacing the tyre or balancing and alignment. At that stage, I was so over fighting them and dealing with their incompetence that I just decided to give up.

Thanks. Just looking at the forms it seems like a nightmare.

And the forms seem to imply that they won't pay if you have insurance.

But this is partly a matter of principle. I want them to pay because of their negligence with the state of the roads.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

Thats generally the issue even in eThekwini... they'll randomly decide what they will pay for and then it just gets to the point that its not worth the fight anymore. They know it and abuse that to the extreme.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
You can still try claiming against the RAF but I think the piggybank is empty so it will take months before you see any results (that’s a big if on the results) . Get a set of aftermarket rims that save weight and don’t cost a arm and leg for one from the dealer

I'm sure it's been pointed out, but the RAF is for injury and death, not for damage to property.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
[snip]

Get a set of aftermarket rims that save weight and don’t cost a arm and leg for one from the dealer

Aftermarket wheels are not an option for leased vehicles, nor would they be a realistic on an upmarket model. Unless you keep the originals for 'weekend' driving...

S.Claus

Expert Member
I'm sure it's been pointed out, but the RAF is for injury and death, not for damage to property.
I hurt my back when I hit the pothole officer.:ROFL:
Aftermarket wheels are not an option for leased vehicles, nor would they be a realistic on an upmarket model. Unless you keep the originals for 'weekend' driving...
Bubble wrap the original rims and leave them somewhere safe for when you return/sell the car. I think there are rims for every occasion that function just as well if not better at a fraction of the OEM rims cost. This isn't OP's first rodeo with a pothole he should have gotten aftermarket rims after he hit the first one.