U.S. Joins Probe Into South African Crypto Firm Mirror Trading

John Tempus

Executive Member
Well this is the news we all wanted to hear.

Safe to assume everything in charge of MTI is completely fkd now, about time.

I suspect this was pushed by Texas to get involved properly. Every scam that ever hit the crypto market got completely fkd once Texas got involved, pretty hilarious.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
“Although there is a paper trail (airplane ticket) regarding his possible flight attempt to Brazil, no video or photo confirmation could be obtained that he did leave the country,” the joint liquidators said.

I find this bizarre. It's virtually impossible to leave the country by air without going through immigration control where every entry and exit is recorded by Home Affairs. Surely Home Affairs would be able to confirm if he's passed through any of their control points.

John Tempus

Executive Member
I find this bizarre. It's virtually impossible to leave the country by air without going through immigration control where every entry and exit is recorded by Home Affairs. Surely Home Affairs would be able to confirm if he's passed through any of their control points.

Right.

Should be damn easy to confirm he landed if cross checked with Brazil customs to see if he landed there at all.

This info is returning my original idea that Johann is probably dead, right here in SA. Someone took him out and made him the single fall guy by creating these false narratives around him fleeing the country.

This entire story might actually turn out as a murder investigation at some point. With billions on the line for the majority of the scammers it doesn't take much to consider taking out one person and using that one person as the entire scam operator.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Right.

Should be damn easy to confirm he landed if cross checked with Brazil customs to see if he landed there at all.

This info is returning my original idea that Johann is probably dead, right here in SA. Someone took him out and made him the single fall guy by creating these false narratives around him fleeing the country.

This entire story might actually turn out as a murder investigation at some point. With billions on the line for the majority of the scammers it doesn't take much to consider taking out one person and using that one person as the entire scam operator.

The alternative is that he's fled the country over one of the land borders without going through an official border crossing. If you've ever done a river raft down the Orange River you'd know how easy it is to cross into Namibia across the Orange River without being stopped by anyone, especially if you have someone on the other side to help you with transport.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
It still seems likely that he is alive. Nerina's reported behaviour still suggests that she knows JS is alive and no-one has reported any of the other MTI leaders suddenly running or employing new security.

Escape to Namibia or Botswana are possibilities, but what about boat to Mozambique?

There is no doubt that he was financially well able to get quality forged or "stolen" documents. In fact, there is only the record that he didn't leave on his own passport. When he disappeared there was no active checking on his movements so he might not have even had to change his appearance more than to match a passport.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
If he were traveling on his own passport.

Wary GOM

Expert Member
An interesting point in the report on MTI investigation is the statement that finding MTI to be illegal will have no impact on people who took money from MTI. Surely it will affect them if they have benefitted from ilegal activity?

MeestaR

Expert Member
If other authorities such as the FBI joins in, you know there's big trouble for Johann when they find him. I get the feeling that Johann will see the inside of the chookie, soon if not later.

The Marks' can claim whatever they want that they were not part of the scheme, playing the victim, etc.
They are repeat "offenders" and they headed BTC Global as well, which also collapsed.

MTI scammed people from all over the world, I've seen the MTI leak data, people from China? yeesh.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
An interesting point in the report on MTI investigation is the statement that finding MTI to be illegal will have no impact on people who took money from MTI. Surely it will affect them if they have benefitted from ilegal activity?

Like it said
Liquidators will only be entitled to recover payments made to investors which were not legally owed to them
ie every cent more than you deposited
Thats what they are afraid of

Tman*

Expert Member
The alternative is that he's fled the country over one of the land borders without going through an official border crossing. If you've ever done a river raft down the Orange River you'd know how easy it is to cross into Namibia across the Orange River without being stopped by anyone, especially if you have someone on the other side to help you with transport.
There was an in depth video analysis done on one of the last videos JS made, identifying the public transport busses driving on the wrong side of the road in the background.

While its plausible that he left a land border without going through a border crossing, its unlikely because we know from the video footage that he was definitely in South America at the time (and not a neighboring country to SA).

Unless he fled SA first, then took a chartered boat or plane to South America, but that still means he had to enter South America undetected.

I cant recall exactly but someone foind his boarding pass flying business or first class via DOHA (if i am not mistaken) confirming he left SA by air. Citation needed.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
An okie van Polekwane with a thick Saffrican accent who is overweight, plays golf, wears the same baby blue shirt since December 2020 and probably stinks like a hyena.

Mense, how difficult can it be to track Double N???

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Unless he fled SA first, then took a chartered boat or plane to South America, but that still means he had to enter South America undetected.

If you got on a large fishing trawler operating out of a West Coast harbour like Saldanha Bay and paid the captain to head straight across the Atlantic towards Brazil, it doesn't strike me as particularly difficult to enter undetected. There must be hundreds of small harbours on the South American Atlantic coastline where someone could just land a boat and enter undetected.

Matata

It still seems likely that he is alive. Nerina's reported behaviour still suggests that she knows JS is alive and no-one has reported any of the other MTI leaders suddenly running or employing new security.

Escape to Namibia or Botswana are possibilities, but what about boat to Mozambique?

There is no doubt that he was financially well able to get quality forged or "stolen" documents. In fact, there is only the record that he didn't leave on his own passport. When he disappeared there was no active checking on his movements so he might not have even had to change his appearance more than to match a passport.
This. Or he could still be in SA living a double life with fake ID documents.

If JS was taken out, the other MTI leaders would have hired extra security or filed for witness protection orders. The fact that the Walruses (aka the marks) are still roaming freely in luxury is an indication that JS is alive. Billions of rands are lost yet nothing violent has happened to the MTI leaders.

Even if JS was killed, how would that even help to retrieve the bitcoin? Would it not be just better to retrieve the bitcoin or monero (assuming they wanted to end their BTC transaction trail)?

Wary GOM

Expert Member
It is a quiet time for this thread. Nerina, can't you please provoke some sort of reaction from hubby? Or from readers, a bit of information such as was reported about Limbolletjie's Jeep ride? I am getting overweight on popcorn waiting for this saga to move on. Worse even than sitting through Waiting for Godot.