U.S. Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Second take, conservatives frequently site the benefits of "Western Culture", which I generally agree with, how many countries that still have the death penalty would you regard as being "Western"?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-with-death-penalty

Perhaps there needs to be a realization that the vast majority of western cultures have abondoned the death penalty..
Plus, one of the underpinning principles in "western" jurisprudence is Blackstone's ratio.

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Cray

Honorary Master
Few people support killing innocent people. The problem is, once you've killed them, it's too late.

Yup, and let's not forget how politically motivated prosecutions in the US are...

More than a few DAs have broken the law so as not to appear soft on crime, hiding evidence and testimony to get their preferred result.. And now the stakes are permanent..

As long as the appointment of chief prosecutor is a popularity contest, there can be no true dispassionate application of justice..

greg0205

Honorary Master
A real twofer, too - Good examples of the shameless dishonesty that's welcome in the GOP and how "sosheeluzm!" doesn't actually mean anything.

Marsha Blackburn:

MB: I don’t think you will see me being persuaded that climate change is a genuine threat. What you do see me –

RH: No, but what evidence would it take to persuade you of that?

MB: Well, what you do see me as, being concerned about is conservation and the preservation issues. Now, some of those have shared goals and outcomes and some of those are components where you’re going to say we’re just going to agree to disagree on that issue.

RH: Can I ask, do you accept the theory of evolution?

MB: No I do not.

Also Marsha Blackburn:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Yup, and let's not forget how politically motivated prosecutions in the US are...

More than a few DAs have broken the law so as not to appear soft on crime, hiding evidence and testimony to get their preferred result.. And now the stakes are permanent..

As long as the appointment of chief prosecutor is a popularity contest, there can be no true dispassionate application of justice..
Reminded me of this John Oliver bit about judicial elections. An absolute joke, imo.

Dave

Honorary Master
Could be done, but I'm not sure anyone would watch

I’ll bet you that the rest of the grifters in his family would try and sell tickets to the event.

and probably gold plated coloured miniature coffins as souvenirs.

Last edited:

wbot

Expert Member
Killing someone who is an imminent threat to others is very different to killing someone, who, if properly incarcerated, will never be able to harm anyone else again.

The punishment for murder should be life without parole, the moment you sanction state killing, you sink to the level of the crime you are trying punish.
I don't agree but I'll just leave it at that

cerebus

Honorary Master

b6be19198e7e8136f82f756fcf9443ec.jpg

greg0205

Honorary Master
Status
Not open for further replies.