U.S. Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Surely even you can see how weak these answers are.
Still somewhat flabbergasted that he, apparently with a straight face, said North Dakota Republicans when purposefully writing a law that disenfranchised Native Americans, went through the entire legislative procedure without realising what it's impact would be or how Native Americans live in their state.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
View attachment 1048447

Lefties up to their usual trick of changing the meaning of words...

Edit: Instead of playing stupid word games, why don't you lot focus on fixing the water situation in places like Flint, Michigan? You know, actual infrastructure.
Hey Chris, you forgot to pretend that the electrical grid, piping and railways aren't infrastructure, as the GOP dolts are doing.

Actually, I personally support the roll-out of rural broadband as I don't think private companies will ever cover rural areas properly and it will give many of these delipidated towns a chance to participate in the modern economy where many jobs can be done remotely. This article from the New Yorker really influenced my thinking on the subject: https://www.newyorker.com/tech/anna...n-with-some-of-the-fastest-internet-in-the-us
So EV infrastructure isn't... infrastructure? Please.

Why are Republicans always so eager to fail to meet the moment or actually address any of the problems the country faces? US infrastructure investment is a joke because the can keeps getting kicked down the road by Republicans.

They even give examples of infrastructure in the definition - you know "PHYSICAL" infrastructure (paid leave is a non-pecuniary wage benefit, it's not infrastructure). You might as well talk about election "infrastructure" as well, but that is not what your man-on-the-street will think is infrastructure in the common understanding of the term.
Ever heard of social infrastructure? Where did Biden ever say it was only going to be physical infrastructure like "roads and bridges".

Mr. Biden pushed back against critics who have argued that his sprawling plan contains elements — such as the renovation of veterans’ hospitals, expansion of broadband internet and anti-poverty programs — that do not fit the traditional definition of infrastructure.

“To automatically say that the only thing that’s infrastructure is a highway, bridge, or whatever, that’s just not rational,” said Mr. Biden, who urged Republicans to ask working-class Americans “what infrastructure they need to build a better life, to be able to breathe a little bit,” rather than rejecting his proposal on sight.

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Yes, all those soldiers, firefighters, paramedics, doctors, trash collectors, plumbers, electricians, mechanics and unskilled labourers would really appreciate that technology.
At least he's stopped pretending libertarians or conservatives care about the working class. ;)

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Great couple of days for the party of "small government" and "free speech".

Long list of efforts by conservatives to punish academic freedom and free speech.

Oh, and in their bigoted anti-trans zeal, North Carolina Republicans want to ban under-21s from receiving medical care from doctors, and they want the government to decide what constitutes "gender nonconformity" and report it to the children's parents.

surface

Honorary Master
My mandatory JP gobbledygook post and I think Ta-nehisi Coates should reply to his "Do I really live in a universe where Ta-Nehisi Coates ...."

Mr Peterson, it depends on what you mean by live and it also depends on what you mean by universe. This is a very complex proposition.

One must acknowledge the underlying verisimilitude that is irrevocably nested within a multi-layered metaphysical substrate which many people fundamentally conflate with their ideological presuppositions with no uncertain irregularity.

I can't stress enough that this causes the inadvertent dismissal of Jung's archetypal extrapolation of the quintessential axiomatic juxtaposition required to achieve Raskolnikov's magnitude of Neo-Marxist existential nihilism..

konfab

Honorary Master
Most jobs? Not a chance. Realistically its 20%.
Realistically, you are wrong...

In the US it is more like 69%
rqsjkekzwuuagbb6vn3orq.png

https://news.gallup.com/poll/321800/covid-remote-work-update.aspx

konfab

Honorary Master
Great couple of days for the party of "small government" and "free speech".

Better than the party of trigger warnings and microagresssions.

Here was what the student said.

"Thank you for your presentation," said Bhattacharya, according to an audio recording of the event. "I had a few questions, just to clarify your definition of microaggressions. Is it a requirement, to be a victim of microaggression, that you are a member of a marginalized group?"

Adams replied that it wasn't a requirement.

Bhattacharya suggested that this was contradictory, since a slide in her presentation had defined microaggressions as negative interactions with members of marginalized groups. Adams and Bhattacharya then clashed for a few minutes about how to define the term. It was a polite disagreement. Adams generally maintained that microaggression theory was a broad and important topic and that the slights caused real harm. Bhattacharya expressed a scientific skepticism that a microaggression could be distinguished from an unintentionally rude statement. His doubts were wellfounded given that microaggression theory is not a particularly rigorous concept.

But Nora Kern*, an assistant professor who helped to organize the event, thought Bhattacharya's questions were a bit too pointed. Immediately following the panel, she filed a "professionalism concern card"—a kind of record of a student's violations of university policy.

"This student asked a series of questions that were quite antagonistic toward the panel," wrote Kern. "He pressed on and stated one faculty member was being contradictory. His level of frustration/anger seemed to escalate until another faculty member defused the situation by calling on another student for questions. I am shocked that a med student would show so little respect toward faculty members. It worries me how he will do on wards."

https://reason.com/2021/04/07/microaggressions-uva-student-kieran-bhattacharya-threat/

Don't you see that it is literally hate speech to point out that the grand theory of microagressions is riddled with contradictions.

tetrasect

Expert Member
Hey Chris, you forgot to pretend that the electrical grid, piping and railways aren't infrastructure, as the GOP dolts are doing.

So EV infrastructure isn't... infrastructure? Please.

Why are Republicans always so eager to fail to meet the moment or actually address any of the problems the country faces? US infrastructure investment is a joke because the can keeps getting kicked down the road by Republicans.

Ever heard of social infrastructure? Where did Biden ever say it was only going to be physical infrastructure like "roads and bridges".

Also:

EyahAoUWYAESa_w

Status
Not open for further replies.