U.S. Politics

daelm

Expert Member
Aren't we still boycotting them over the not hiring whites thing a few years back? I must ask Oom Steve on twitter because I miss the pies. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to use twitter either.

"theratman, please report to Global Left Command and collect your Re-Education Voucher. On behalf of the Glorious Chairman, I am required to highlight for you that this is your final Re-Education Voucher for the year, and subsequent deviations from our plan will result in Temporary Care at one of the many, fine Free Employment Facilities, where you will have the opportunity to Make Many Friends."

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
China literally have people in concentration camps.

Some leftie. Let's not call Covid the Chinese virus even though that is factually accurate as it might hurt their feelings?

I don't really get it.

Are you White Rietie?

If yes, I understand why you don't get it. That's ok though, I won't judge you, it is what it is.

The virus has a name, Covid 19, use it; it has a place and country of origin (based on what we currently know), refer to it in that context ie 'Covid 19 originated in Wuhan, China'

Words matter, how you use them matter, they have meaning and when used carelessly, have real consequences.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Wait, why is calling it the Chinese virus, racist? Is it from China?
Is the Spanish flu racist? (yes, I know it originated in the US, people associated it with Spain because they were the hardest hit and because, well, no internet)

A white person living in China...is Chinese. Just like an Indian in South Africa is called South African. Chinese virus would be correct.
How else can you refer to China the country without saying China...or Chinese?

"Chinese aggression in the South China Sea!"
RACISM!
Or...is...it?

The US is in a trade war with China. Trump's job is to make China look bad. Calling it the Chinese virus makes China, rightfully, look bad especially considering all the underhanded shet they did the first few months.

Giving faulty PPE to other countries to make it look like they were helping.
Telling their Chinese diaspora to buy up local PPE to "help the motherland" AKA to create a local shortage and exacerbate virus spread around the world.

This is one of the classic racist arguments.

Cheers

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
It's racist to talk about China's concentration camps.

No it's not racist to talk about China's concentration camps. The Chinese government is a vile and oppressive regime who are exterminating an ethnic minority (amongst other vile activities).

That DOESN'T give anyone the right to be racist towards China as a country.

Edit: grammar, sp

Last edited:

daelm

Expert Member
No it's not racist to talking about China's concentration camps. The Chinese government is a vile and oppressive regime who are exterminating an ethnic minority (amongst other vile activities).

That DOESN'T give anyone the right to be racist towards China as a country.

not for the first time, either.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Calling it the China virus is no different than hammering on the term South African strain.

I can't recall a serious outbreak of xenophobia due to this. Maybe a stupid case here and there in the very early stages, but it didn't take Trump to call it something for that to happen.

I do recall Nancy Pelosi being so concerned with the possibility of xenophobia that they went to Chinatown San Francisco requesting people to go there. No Social distancing, no masks. This is the time people now criticize the GOP for not having taken action and enforce lockdown regulation. You know the time the GOP downplayed the virus.

Yes it is.

CaptainOblivious

Expert Member
I'm a chad centrist, i'm just sniping from the back. That's me in the middle.
View attachment 1001638

Chad centrists never snipe from the middle. ;)

daelm

Expert Member
It's okay to call it the china virus, but don't dare call it gender based violence :ROFL:

i've honestly never understood that. the thing we're referring to is explicitly and overwhelmingly violence against women, right? was there a small but vocal group of men's rights activists who said they felt excluded? genuine question.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
The people who don't want you to call a virus that originated in China "China Virus" are the same people who don't want violent criminals who destroy cities to be called "rioters"... They're also the same people who don't want to be called "slimy" and "disgusting" when they exhibit slimy and disgusting behaviour, and don't want to be called "commies" when they act like communists.

If they don't like the truth, it is offensive and no one should be allowed to speak it. They should never be held accountable and have to take any responsibility for their actions.

Bullshit

daelm

Expert Member
Yes it is.

agreed. the designation is modified by intention and use. even relatively neutral things become inextricable from context eventually, and many racial, cultural and religious slurs originated in perfectly normal designations. the general rule of thumb, for normal people, is that if you absolutely can't avoid being a racist, at least try to avoid being inflammatory about it. we live in societies. it's simple courtesy.

honestly, this is Being-A-Person 101.

Last edited: