U20 Rugby World Cup 2018

sand_man

Honorary Master
SA team looks useful this year!

They had a short 3 match tour of the UK prior to the U20 RWC

Scotland 41-3
Wales 41-5
England 26-12

Their pool matches, Georgia, Ireland and France. Georgia should be fairly easy win, Ireland a little tougher but again a fixture the baby boks would expect to win by at least 20. France will be tough though. Playing at home they been in good form in the 6 nations.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I believe Japan U20 to do well’ish. The only team Japan Junior couldn’t beat going into the World Cup was The Warriors (and they are mostly senior, Fiji A). Their universities also slapped some European touring teams which is an oddity going by expectations.

Good to see strong pools, I don’t know about Georgia or Italy, but they are there…

sand_man

Honorary Master
I believe Japan U20 to do well’ish. The only team Japan Junior couldn’t beat going into the World Cup was The Warriors (and they are mostly senior, Fiji A). Their universities also slapped some European touring teams which is an oddity going by expectations.

Good to see strong pools, I don’t know about Georgia or Italy, but they are there…
Japan, historically, has battled in this tournament.

Italy didn't have a bad 6 nations beating Scotland in the tournaments final fixture.

Baby Boks played Georgia in a home series earlier this year, beat them 55-14 and 48-23.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Ah, was going to start a thread. Thanks for doing it!

Yeah, looking forward to this, especially to see how Damian Willemse goes. Was meant to be traveling to Jhb tomorrow but now only on Thursday which means I'll get to watch tomorrow eve.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Yay! This is a tournament I enjoy following.... always exciting to see the new talent coming through.....

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Japan, historically, has battled in this tournament.

Italy didn't have a bad 6 nations beating Scotland in the tournaments final fixture.

Baby Boks played Georgia in a home series earlier this year, beat them 55-14 and 48-23.
I don’t see Japan to win Australia, New Zealand or Wales, but I don’t see them being humiliated. Seeing the pools, I don’t see any easy pool, every team will have to battle to earn 1st or 2nd place.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Ah, was going to start a thread. Thanks for doing it!

Yeah, looking forward to this, especially to see how Damian Willemse goes. Was meant to be traveling to Jhb tomorrow but now only on Thursday which means I'll get to watch tomorrow eve.
Yeah, would be great to see Damian dominate this tournament! He's looked so good in Super rugby and is on the brink of full Bok selection so his talent is undeniable. He could be the general at 10 that leads the baby Boks to glory!! No pressure Damian!

Yay! This is a tournament I enjoy following.... always exciting to see the new talent coming through.....
Yeah, we've already mentioned Damian. Look out for Salmaan Moerat at lock, Gianni Lombard at 15 and Rikus Pretorius at 12. Wandisile Simelane at 13 also played last year and could make a big impact this year.

I don’t see Japan to win Australia, New Zealand or Wales, but I don’t see them being humiliated. Seeing the pools, I don’t see any easy pool, every team will have to battle to earn 1st or 2nd place.
Yeah, the Japs have taken on scores in the 80's in past tournaments. Hopefully their game has improved. God knows they been ploughing resources into their game over the last 4-5 years...

Not entirely familiar with the structure of the competition but I do know it's very difficult to make the semis if you lose any pool games.