Uber Eats orders may need to be more than 1kg - industry expert

rpm

Admin
Staff member

quovadis

Executive Member
It's not only the weight but also the dimensions according to the act.
3. The reserved postal services include all items described in paragraphs 1 (a) and 2 of a mass up to and including one kilogram as well as dimensions which enable it to fit into a rectangular box with the following dimensions: length 458 mm width 324 mm thickness 100 mm

I highly doubt the services would extend to perishable items which require point to point service since there are health and safety concerns but simply making the paper bag the dimensions above (or 325x325mm minimum) would bypass the requirement.

rvZA

Executive Member
It's not only the weight but also the dimensions according to the act.

I highly doubt the services would extend to perishable items which require point to point service since there are health and safety concerns but simply making the paper bag the dimensions above (or 325x325mm minimum) would bypass the requirement.

Well, in a previous article concerning the legal case, SAPO did add 'Fast Foods' as part of the items they want private couriers to be prevented from transporting. So, it is safe to asume it indeed includes persishables.

And, we all know the Post Office don't even have bicycles to deliver this.

So, it brings me back to a thought I have. This is nothing but a Nationalization drive of private companies. Soon, any private courier will need to form part of SAPO and give 30% ownership away to BEE if they wish to operate. Just waiting for that law when SAPO wins this case.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Okay most food orders would be roughly this no? I mean just two cans of coke + the food would be over a kg.

rvZA

Executive Member
Okay most food orders would be roughly this no? I mean just two cans of coke + the food would be over a kg.

As mentioned above, the act also have dimension restrictions. So, over and above the 1kg there will need to be huge packaging too. I suspect, if the courts do side with the act and SAPO, private couriers will be history.

quovadis

Executive Member
As mentioned above, the act also have dimension restrictions. So, over and above the 1kg there will need to be huge packaging too. I suspect, if the courts do side with the act and SAPO, private couriers will be history.
No, if it's a balloon but doesn't fit into those dimensions it's excluded. It needs to both fit and be under 1kg.

Lupus

Honorary Master
E-commerce and delivery will be history. As even a lot of private restaurants have their own deliveries.

rvZA

Executive Member
At the end of the day it is all irrelevant, because we all know that SAPO has no capabilities to deliver any of the goods they claim their sole transportation rights to. Funny how these guys love 'Apartheid Laws' when it suits them. Secondly, my point still stands. Even if the courts do rule in SAPO's favour and grinds many industries to a halt, they will soon have new laws in place which will allow private couriers to continue operating on certain conditions, such as giving 30% ownership to BEE and forming part of SAPO.

Z3120

One would think there would be qualifying criteria to be a licenced postal provider.

When requiring a mail box does one consider theft & the inability to handle mail as selling points?

Telkom, SABC, SAA, Eskom & SAPO seem to be in the same band, singing the same poorly written & performed political show piece.

SAPO; your friendly credit provider, e-commerce & banking solution, mail delivery extraordinaire floated by crippling debt, theft & strikes....

rvZA

Executive Member
SAPO; your friendly credit provider, e-commerce & banking solution, mail delivery extraordinaire floated by crippling debt, theft & strikes....

Debt, theft and strikes will always be the problem and things will never get better in any way or means. The problem is corruption, people who should not be employed, let alone employed in any position at SAPO and bad labour laws. As long as this continues, SAPO will never, ever, become a working business.