Uber Eats orders may need to be more than 1kg - industry expert

rvZA

Expert Member

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That isn't what I said.

I said they would just lie on the manifest. So their manifest would say they are delivering a 1kg parcel. No need to add any extra weight or anything.
Let me repeat what he says:
“We have to be compliant with the law and anything that artificially inflates things to circumvent the law makes it very difficult for us to perform.”
Or don't you consider lying to be artificially inflating things to circumvent the law?

Temujin

Honorary Master
Waiting for sapo to deliver my meds and dinner

Still-Waiting-Meme.jpg

konfab

Honorary Master
Let me repeat what he says:

Or don't you consider lying to be artificially inflating things to circumvent the law?
Two different things.
1) is adding a physical item to make it heavier.
2) is lying about the mass.

HelterSkelter

Expert Member
If the gov carries on like this, Scope might make a comeback, and may only be posted via the PO.

Martin_P

I thought April fools already happened, good delivery by the post office so what 2-3 weeks local delivery time.

Martin_P

If there is a registration and license process for postal services, the South African post office should lose it. Haven't used SAPO for international deliveries in years 50% of getting your packed.

dj2381

Expert Member
Just set all your scales to start at 1kg, I'm confused how this will be implemented, are you gonna get pulled over by SAPO and asked to put all the parcels on a scale they drive around with?

ian16th

How about all Legal Documents between Judges and Advocates have to carried by SAPO?

This case will never end!

Solarion

Honorary Master
How about all Legal Documents between Judges and Advocates have to carried by SAPO?

This case will never end!

We use couriers for a lot of documents every week. I did mention this to my CO he just laughed and he said: "It will never happen SAPO have missed the train."

Jameskevin

So now we are been bullying, to use SAPO which is controlled by Another National Crisis, to the SAPO this is now 22-second century, I will choose which courier company I will use

not to be told I MUST USE OF SO CALL SAPO.

ld13

Honorary Master
Have we actually read the law?

I do not foresee any issues. All my parcels are more than 10cm thick, like always. Same with my incoming parcels. Takealot would need to discard their smallest box, and then they are 100% within the law. My bank cards are done under 4(a) "Delivery by an employee of the sender exclusively for the private affairs of the sender", as allowed for under Schedule 1.

Much ado about nothing .. .. ..

RESERVED POSTAL SERVICES
1. The reserved postal services include-
(a) all letters, postcards, printed matter, small parcels and other postal articles subject to the mass and size limitations of paragraph 3;
(b) issuing of postage stamps; and
(c) the provision of roadside collection and address boxes.

2. For the purposes of this Schedule, a letter means any form of written communication or other document, article or object that is directed to a specific person or persons or specific address and is to be conveyed other than by electronic means and includes a parcel, package or wrapper containing any such communication or article conforming to the mass and size limitations set out in paragraph 3.

3. The reserved postal services include all items described in paragraphs 1 (a) and 2 of a mass up to and including one kilogram as well as dimensions which enable it to fit into a rectangular box with the following dimensions:
length 458 mm
width 324 mm
thickness 100 mm<<

Cylinders having a maximum length of 458 mm and 100 mm thickness and a mass of up to one kilogram are regarded as letters.

4. The following exemptions from letter mail apply and are not subject to licensing in terms of this Act:
(a) Delivery by an employee of the sender exclusively for the private affairs of the sender;
(b) unaddressed mail;
(c) the exchange or service of legal process, proceedings, pleadings, affidavits or depositions;
(d) letters exceeding the stipulated dimensions or mass; occasional letters delivered by an individual not in the business of delivering letters;
(e) trade announcements, circulars, printed extracts from newspapers, or advertisements which are not addressed to any person;
(f) newspapers and periodicals.

Danie_V

Post Office lost out to couriers (who charge way more) because of incredibly bad service and delays in delivery. It's often cheaper to use the post office but most people want to avoid it. Couriers have kept our economy going and empty lots of people. Clearly that 1kg limit is way out of date and the law needs to be reviewed, not enforced. It dates back to the days that only SAA flew planes in South Africa and look where that got us. SOEs need to be competitive and stand on their own merits for a competitive economy, not to be legally mandated monopolies - those days are long gone along with Apartheid.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I am going to insist the PO delivers my medium pizza ... Mediterranean! Multiple orders per day. When the aroma knocks the buzzards off the gut wagon, then maybe they'll get the message that this is a rotten idea.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Seriously though, I'd rather walk to get my food (if a take away is a must) than use the SAPO. Swine!

Juice

Expert Member
Sigh. Yet another SOE (Read: socio-communist Government Employment Programme) wanting to "compete" with business enterprises through legislative advantages. SOEs are not profit-driven enterprises. The are cost-centres on the national fiscus.

neoprema

Expert Member
Someone's gonna be a millionaire with Uber partnership when they setup a company making lead disks for the stores to drop into the packages...

Swa

Honorary Master
It is not hard to prove that the Post Office cannot deliver on their licensing obligations , so this court case is un-winnable by the Post Office .
That would be an interesting case. Currently the PO does not fulfill their licensing obligations as set out by Icasa. Now imagine they were prohibited from handling post at all.

Yep, I have been thinking about this too. There are clearly things in their rules they do not transport, such as medicine, yet this is on the list of demands in front of court. They will probably change their rules in coming days to accommodate for this.
I don't think this is in their demands, only a general reference to parcels under 1kg. As usual this is Mybb tacking on things for sensationalism.

Except they've already said they won't.

It won't be the courier companies doing it. They'll just have a limit on parcels below 1kg. How their clients make up that weight wouldn't be their problem.