Uber South Africa in breach of WASPA rules

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Uber South Africa in breach of WASPA rules

Uber South Africa is accused of flouting the code of conduct of the Wireless Application Service Providers' Association (WASPA) with its SMS marketing.

An industry expert, who asked to remain anonymous, told MyBroadband that Uber ignored STOP requests and broke WASPA’s rules regarding when SMS marketing may be sent.

TomasW

LOL.

"STOP" is not the same as "Stop" in IT.
"STOP" is the same as "STOP" in IT.

So technically the user/recipient did not reply "STOP" as required and therefore Uber is not in breach of anything.

Annoying I know, but also the fact.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
LOL.

"STOP" is not the same as "Stop" in IT.
"STOP" is the same as "STOP" in IT.

So technically the user/recipient did not reply "STOP" as required and therefore Uber is not in breach of anything.

Annoying I know, but also the fact.
If they wanted to be arseholes about it, sure.
But upper(input_val) is also a thing.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Oh but wait, it actually gets better. I complained a while back and managed to opt out of their SPAM. This is great until you need to change credentials on your account and you need to 'Verify by SMS'. You'll now find that they've completely blocked your no. on their system and you don't get an SMS with a verification code. Thereafter follows much pain and heartache to get your no. enabled back on their system - and by that, you're opted back into their SPAM :X3::X3::X3:

Napalm2880

Expert Member
And... to throw more salt into the wounds, Telkom currently bills for these STOP messages. :mad:

Swa

Honorary Master
I don't give a crap about WASPA. They're just a bunch of scammers stealing money anyway and not a legal entity. Only thing I care about is whether they follow the law, so is there optin for these SMSes?

Sollie

Expert Member
I don't give a crap about WASPA. They're just a bunch of scammers stealing money anyway and not a legal entity. Only thing I care about is whether they follow the law, so is there optin for these SMSes?
Law to change the default opt-out to opt-in, would be POPIA, ETA 2905. Atm they're still debating the merits of a firepool etc and reports of similar.

However, WASPA and ISPA code of conduct states it has to be opt-in.

Sollie

Expert Member
Oh but wait, it actually gets better. I complained a while back and managed to opt out of their SPAM. This is great until you need to change credentials on your account and you need to 'Verify by SMS'. You'll now find that they've completely blocked your no. on their system and you don't get an SMS with a verification code. Thereafter follows much pain and heartache to get your no. enabled back on their system - and by that, you're opted back into their SPAM :X3::X3::X3:
Similar with many other upstream providers use. They allow spam, filter out the "trouble makers". When there is a requirement for a transactional SMS, it does not arrive, ever. You end up fighting with your service provider, they show you they sent it and were billed for it from their bulk acct. You contact the messaging provider together. Blowing bubbles and red faces all around upstream, caught in the act of actually facilitating spam. Some of these upstream SMS providers have the ethics of mating slugs.

Swa

Honorary Master
Law to change the default opt-out to opt-in, would be POPIA, ETA 2905. Atm they're still debating the merits of a firepool etc and reports of similar.

However, WASPA and ISPA code of conduct states it has to be opt-in.
Thought it was already law. I've had email from some organisations asking me to opt-in to their spam stating the legal requirement. I never replied and never got anything from them again.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
And... to throw more salt into the wounds, Telkom currently bills for these STOP messages. :mad:
everyone bills for the STOP message. This is why I maintain the phone companies have a vested interest in failing to stop this kind of scammy marketing. I don't reply to STOP to anything. I didn't opt in, so why must I pay money to opt out? I just block the numbers.