Ubiquiti AmplifiHD vs ...

PearlJam

Expert Member
I currently have a mesh system consisting of 3 x AmplifiHD routers and 1 x Meshpoint.

I am looking at getting a new setup that will increase the range and speed.

So far I have looked at the TP Link X20 and X60. The Orbi RBK753 is a bit expensive, but if there is really a case for it I will look at it. I have a lot of walls that need to be passed through, etc.

Any recommendations or views on whether the TP Link models would be a noticable upgrade? Or any other possible ones to look at?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Quite honestly I don't think you can win over that and will just be burning your money.

powermzii

Expert Member
I'm not in a position to do that, due to how the construction of the house is. I don't have an elegant way of running cables
Understood, yeah am not sure from a pure Wifi mesh perspective if you could get better

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
I'm not in a position to do that, due to how the construction of the house is. I don't have an elegant way of running cables
How is the house constructed if I may ask? Maybe assist can be given around the wiring options you have.

Also, how are the places? I've noticed people tend to think if they place the units at the outer edge if the range that they would still perform optimally which is incorrect. The overlap is very important when not connected via cable.

PearlJam

Expert Member
How is the house constructed if I may ask? Maybe assist can be given around the wiring options you have.

Also, how are the places? I've noticed people tend to think if they place the units at the outer edge if the range that they would still perform optimally which is incorrect. The overlap is very important when not connected via cable.

Standard construction with a lot of double walls that need to be passed through and no ceiling. The main device is also inside a little room below stairs that is as close to a faraday cage than what you could get, but enough passthrough to the device just outside the little room. The Ubiquiti app shows that the range between the 4 devices is good.

I saw some mesh device mention powerline backhaul, but my experience hasn't been good with that, although it was entry level stuff I tried.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Oh crap, the no ceiling bit is a bummer.

I suppose you're not keen on drilling through the walls then?

PearlJam

Expert Member
Oh crap, the no ceiling bit is a bummer.

I suppose you're not keen on drilling through the walls then?

The walls from the main router is exterior walls or leading to another "problematic" room.

I was really hoping there is something better out there ito mesh systems. I don't know much about Wifi 6, but thought that might bring a step up.

Muttley

Expert Member
As others have mentioned, it seems like it won't help to get another mesh system from another brand...
Prob with these systems is that they're designed to work in homes/spaces built from wood, not brick and mortar so your home is going to affect the performance. Concrete kills Wi-Fi so Wi-Fi 6 ain't gonna help unfortunately.

I would seriously consider moving the ONT or going the route of running network cables if possible

PearlJam

Expert Member
As others have mentioned, it seems like it won't help to get another mesh system from another brand...
Prob with these systems is that they're designed to work in homes/spaces built from wood, not brick and mortar so your home is going to affect the performance. Concrete kills Wi-Fi so Wi-Fi 6 ain't gonna help unfortunately.

I would seriously consider moving the ONT or going the route of running network cables if possible
Seems to ONT move is the one to do. Just need to get my head around it. It is so convenient having everything including the NAS's and UPS's in the little room out of view

Muttley

Expert Member
Seems to ONT move is the one to do. Just need to get my head around it. It is so convenient having everything including the NAS's and UPS's in the little room out of view
If you're based in JHB, send me a PM, I've got a guy that will splice for you (used him many times)- he charges R800 which may be cheaper and quicker than having to get your provider out.