Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Afon Kulikov

Forging
Had one weird thing happen, the keyboard stopped working in the applications window, terminal and when creating new folders directly on the desktop

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I m not impressed with the overall experience I having after moving to PopOS
Pop does a lot of work improving on the overall performance and efficiency of the base Ubuntu Distro on top of any new features added by Cannonical....though I will say my opinion means nothing right now because I am now a Windows user again.

Note: Windows and WSL is actually great if you are a web dev

Last edited:

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Yes I tried the Pop!_OS 20.04 beta today..I must admit this is a much fresher release, worhty of LTS label. Snappy, elegant and intuitive.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I m not impressed with the overall experience I having after moving to PopOS
Pop does a lot of work improving on the overall performance and efficiency of the base Ubuntu Distro on top of any new features added by Cannonical....though I will say my opinion means nothing right now because I am now a Windows user again.

Note: Windows and WSL is actually great if you are a web dev

I’m a little confused.

Are you not happy with PopOS or not happy Ubuntu?

It’s not quite clear.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I’m a little confused.

Are you not happy with PopOS or not happy Ubuntu?

It’s not quite clear.

I am happy with PopOS it is way more refined than Ubuntu at this stage.
In terms of a cohesive distro, PopOS is far more cohesive and user focused. It does need a bit of tweeking out of the box, and for some reason it does have a lot of codecs and support for certain media formats, but the "restriced" extras and Gnome Tweaks sorts that out.

I also think PopOS is way more efficient, it uses less memeory etc etc - not by much, and I was trying to make older shitty hardware go the distance.

However I changed back to Windows because i bought an Asus ROG laptop, so the hardware is tightly coupled to Windows. I did try and install Pop, but it was not stable at all. Hence why I am using the Windows + WSL set up, which to my surprise is great.

Also I finally understand what you guys were talking about in terms of Battery and Fan control using Linux on a Laptop

Last edited:

|tera|

Master of Messengers
In terms of a cohesive distro, PopOS is far more cohesive and user focused. It does need a bit of tweeking out of the box, and for some reason it does have a lot of codecs and support for certain media formats, but the "restriced" extras and Gnome Tweaks sorts that out.

I also think PopOS is way more efficient, it uses less memeory etc etc - not by much, and I was trying to make older shitty hardware go the distance.

However I changed back to Windows because i bought an Asus ROG laptop, so the hardware is tightly coupled to Windows. I did try and install Pop, but it was not stable at all. Hence why I am using the Windows + WSL set up, which to my surprise is great.

Also I finally understand what you guys were talking about in terms of Battery and Fan control using Linux on a Laptop
A hidden gem in Windows 10 regarding battery mode and improvement:
As long as the power profile is on balanced mode, you can change laptop performance speed through the battery icon on the taskbar. It's just a slider to decrease and increase performance.

My Dell laptop gets about 5 hours still (bought in 2013) by using it on one notch less than full performance.

Afon Kulikov

Forging
The keyboard issue has not repeated it's self but the .zip file hanging has carried over from as far as 18

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member

Has anyone figured out how to download the daily build--https://github.com/pop-os/iso

Or should we just use the beta and sudo apt update ; sudo apt upgrade -y ;

jax_maxit

I'm waiting till next week before I upgrade from 19.4LTS. They weren't kidding when they said there would be no more updates for my current version. I normally skip the x.10 Ubuntu versions.

Crumbl0x

I'm waiting till next week before I upgrade from 19.4LTS. They weren't kidding when they said there would be no more updates for my current version. I normally skip the x.10 Ubuntu versions.
19.04 isn't an LTS version tho, but yes it's usually best to only roll the LTS versions as they get the bulk of the support by first and third parties but that also comes with the downside of waiting every two years for incremental and significant updates.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Has anyone figured out how to download the daily build--https://github.com/pop-os/iso

Or should we just use the beta and sudo apt update ; sudo apt upgrade -y ;

Apparently PopOS 20.04 will be available from 30 April, 2020.
I think 19.10 will have the upgrade option in settings when it becomes available -I speak under correction, though.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
As long as the power profile is on balanced mode, you can change laptop performance speed through the battery icon on the taskbar. It's just a slider to decrease and increase performance.

My Dell laptop gets about 5 hours still (bought in 2013) by using it on one notch less than full performance.

Aaah I never knew THAT was what defined that menu. I simply assumed some laptops do it and others don't due to hardware differences.

CT_Biker

Expert Member

I did not know this

Supersoaker

Expert Member
Had one weird thing happen, the keyboard stopped working in the applications window, terminal and when creating new folders directly on the desktop
Never had that issue but I did have the entire system hang, I had to reboot, couldn't even get to the terminal. It also slowed to a crawl when I tried to navigate to a folder via inkscape. Can anybody recommend a distro? I picked Ubuntu for stability because I run a Jellyfin server as well, doesn't need to transcode anything aside from audio but that doesn't happen often.

Before this I was on Manjaro but I had issues with that distro because it didn't play nice with my integrated GPU.

System Specs:

i7 4790
16GB Ram
256GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD
450W PSU
30TB SSHD storage

Look I love Linux but if it can't do what I want then I won't be able to use it.

I don't care that much about new features, stability essential to my setup as I'm working from home but nothing stone age.

Pho3nix

The Legend
No issues with stability on my side. Did have a problem with php, didn’t like me upgrading instead of a fresh install.

Run a seed box with Plex, Radarr, Sonarr etc and no issues. And this is on a stock Gen8 HP micro server.