Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
I am trying LinuxMint 19.3 Cinnamon ...on the macmini (mid-2011)...it comes with a broadcom BMC4311 WiFi device...the drivers are proprietary and in all other distro's (ubuntu flavours), I have to get the macmini connected to Ethernet adapter and download the additional drivers from the repo's; but in LM 19.3, I tried to see if the process would complete without connecting to the Ethernet port/internet--it allowed the installation of driver (actually it gave me an alert that there were prop drivers required for WiFi device)...but failed..because no internet...then it suggested either connect to internet or use the CD (USB)..to install the drivers. It pulled the drivers off the USB and WiFi worked!

And the WiFi does not disconnect every 3-5 mins as it did in Ubuntu (Kubuntu) and Pop!_OS and UbuntuDDE.

So this is a very smooth experience for me so far. LM 19.3 uses synaptic package manager and flatpak (I am new to this), and what I like about synaptic is that installing mailspring, auto-installed all the dependencies of the repo's and works fine; in Kubuntu, it has issues with the .deb file I downloaded; snap package for mailspring works fine though.

Thought I would share.

PS--I would be interested in knowing if other have had similar experience with using USB to install the additional drivers.

Sudo Panic

Ubuntu is built from snapshots of debian unstable and changes are then made.

mx is pretty much debian stable and they use the debian stable repos.
Okay I think I'll give Debian a spin, which one do you recommend? I wouldn't want it to be too outdated.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Hmm okay I see, any reason why I would use MX over Debian itself?
It's a whole lot less of a mission to install and comes with some pretty cool "features".
(IE. It's more "complete" out of the box.)

marco

Expert Member
@smiley_ lauf
I tried on many occasions to install LM 19.3 Cinnamon but it needed internet to complete but had no driver for my system.

It worked well from the USB but on install it would get stuck on wifi driver not working. Sadly I had to resort to Elementary.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
@smiley_ lauf
I tried on many occasions to install LM 19.3 Cinnamon but it needed internet to complete but had no driver for my system.

It worked well from the USB but on install it would get stuck on wifi driver not working. Sadly I had to resort to Elementary.
Yes it can be a bit tricky--it happened to me as well in LM 19.3; so after installing the OS from USB, and rebooting into the OS, I left the USB on, then mounted it; it will show up as 2 USB drives on the Desktop..the second one is a Live CD-ROM source ..so when you load additional drivers setup, it will try connecting to all sources..internet and local CD-ROM...and it will automatically pull the WiFi drivers from there.

I also then tried this: opened LM Desktop mounted drive (CD-ROM source)...and opened folder b...found bcm.xxxx driver deb package, and install that directly. It should load the WiFi driver and it should work. Else copy that deb file onto your desktop and and install deb file by double clicking it.

Hope this helps

Hephaestus

Forging
@ponder only problem with MX is there is no inbuilt "App Store" to make things easy. But I agree MX is a good Distro and if you really have a crappy old PC/Laptop try Puppy

marco

Expert Member
Thanks Smiley.
The linux elementary was too unstable so I had to persevere with LM.
I tried re downloading the OS from different mirrors but still the same. "Unable to copy packets. Check internet connection". Works fine from USB.
I then downloaded 19.2 and installed without internet. Rebooted without taking the USB flash drive out.
On starting it showed all available wifi and I chose mine from the list. This, it never showed before.

It then connected and I completed the set up.

I had tried to plug the flash drive back in and waiting for it to mount which it did but still it could not copy all drivers.
I will keep your 2'nd method in mind should I require to do this again.

Sysem

Expert Member
Running like a dream on my T490.
Only the fingerprint reader does not work out the box but will resolve that with a bit of googling no doubt.
Did you manage to get it to work? My T470 fingerprint has never worked out of the box, but managed to get it working in 18.10/19.04 accidently somehow. Would love to get it working again on 20.04

Nqindi

I was having janky audio issues on Ubuntu. I just switched to Pop.OS. So far so good.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I've had to switch to booting off the previous kern 5.3.53 as 5.4.10 is just not starting up.

netstrider

Expert Member
I like the netinstall version of Debian, not sure if it still exists, last used Debian on version 4 or something. Netinstall is just such a brilliant way of doing it though.

Install debian + basic packages, then install the GUI you want and whatever else you may need.