Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

lestoran

powermzii

Expert Member
i never like Gnome at all. Why do distros still choose it?
Which one do you prefer?

Started on the Linux bandwagon recently when I had to setup the kids' laptop for school from home and of course got Ubuntu with Gnome. Found it OK if a bit clunky

Have now moved to KDE and it's much better than Gnome. When I have a bit more time am keen to explore Pop and DDE

Sl8er

Executive Member
i never like Gnome at all. Why do distros still choose it?

You'll understand once you learn and start using the keyboard shortcuts ;)
I also used to think it "didn't make much sense"...until I installed it and learnt to use it...with some KB shortcuts.

JurgensBeMe

You'll understand once you learn and start using the keyboard shortcuts ;)
I also used to think it "didn't make much sense"...until I installed it and learnt to use it...with some KB shortcuts.
i bit fat though.

Which one do you prefer?

Started on the Linux bandwagon recently when I had to setup the kids' laptop for school from home and of course got Ubuntu with Gnome. Found it OK if a bit clunky

Have now moved to KDE and it's much better than Gnome. When I have a bit more time am keen to explore Pop and DDE

I find all the KDE apps they want to force on you mostly unneccesary, try to get an install without all the fluff apps.

phaedrus42

One shortcoming in 20.04 is that documents in Libreoffice exported to pdf are just blank.
There is a fix on the Libreoffice site:
sudo dpkg --list | awk '/ii/&&/libreoffice/{print $2}' | sudo xargs apt purge -y
sudo apt autoremove -y

Then re-install the meta-pkg from Muon.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Busy burning the DVD image. Hope I can get the built in Radeon driver tear free function to work on old graphics card. Boyfriend wants to continue watching West World tonight lol

20200614_170815.jpg

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
What year is this lol?
I was in the crazy store the other day. Saw a spindle of Blank DVD's going for R99. It's crazy xD

lol. Ja, I did the USB booting stick and then when I went into by BIOS it was not a option. You must understand, this is a really really old little HP Microserver.

Anyway guys....got it installed and I have to say, it seems the built in open source drivers for the RADEON have been improved because now without the Catalyst proprietry drivers, I cant notice screen tearing. Watched West World on Google Chrom and it was 100%, whereas when I tried I think It was Ubuntu 16 it would have terrible terrible screen tearing. Thing is my sister has the same HP Microserver with the same issue and she upgraded her Ubuntu to 16 a little while ago by mistake and she now has the screen tearing. I will update hers for her this weekend.

JustAsk

Expert Member
lol. Ja, I did the USB booting stick and then when I went into by BIOS it was not a option. You must understand, this is a really really old little HP Microserver.
In future remember...

All old pcs can boot from usb. Don't look for "boot from usb", even if its there, don't choose it. Stick in the usb, then boot to bios. Choose harddrive, then choose your usb there as first option.

Bobs your uncle.