• I know of Ubuntu Core, and do not use it, it's crap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MeestaR

Expert Member
Hi guys, it's my first post in this part of the forum.

I want to know, is there any Ubuntu Core fans on here, and have you tried Ubuntu Core yet?
One thing for sure, it is very robust for Internet of Things, and you can manage your software packages (no package managers like apt or yum, only snapd)

I have built a few snaps, and plenty Ubuntu Core images for different hardware devices (Raspberry Pi, NXP's iMX8, AMD64, etc)
It is really simple, I run a HASS instance on my Pi, no hassles or corrupted SDCards yet (since Feb 2021) with power outages that will break an filesystem, corrupt partitions, the like.
Have a look: https://ubuntu.com/core

If you have any questions about Ubuntu Core, you can ask here or Google it.

So, fire away with your opinions...

RonSwanson

Executive Member
Hi guys, it's my first post in this part of the forum.

I want to know, is there any Ubuntu Core fans on here, and have you tried Ubuntu Core yet?
One thing for sure, it is very robust for Internet of Things, and you can manage your software packages (no package managers like apt or yum, only snapd)

I have built a few snaps, and plenty Ubuntu Core images for different hardware devices (Raspberry Pi, NXP's iMX8, AMD64, etc)
It is really simple, I run a HASS instance on my Pi, no hassles or corrupted SDCards yet (since Feb 2021) with power outages that will break an filesystem, corrupt partitions, the like.
Have a look: https://ubuntu.com/core

If you have any questions about Ubuntu Core, you can ask here or Google it.

So, fire away with your opinions...
Haven't tried it yet, but will soon. Security looks good.

Stef100

Hi Guys,
Probably the wrong threat, but I don't see a recent threat. Perhaps you can redirect or assist.
I have bought a new PC without an operating system as I thought that I could install an old windows key, but apparently not. I am now willing to try linux mint, but my computer skills is little bit lacking in getting a new PC up and running. I know it is suppose to be easy but I just have learned a new language(distro, flavor etc). I need somebody to assist me to get mint running etc. I don't want to try it by myself and get frustrated before even getting started. Do you know of anybody in the Durbanville area that can give me a hand?
I love the idea of linux, and hopefully the next few months will be a nice learning curve. I only use PC at home for general stuff(no games or fancy software).
Much appreciated.
Stefan

MeestaR

Expert Member
Hi Guys,
Probably the wrong threat, but I don't see a recent threat. Perhaps you can redirect or assist.
I have bought a new PC without an operating system as I thought that I could install an old windows key, but apparently not. I am now willing to try linux mint, but my computer skills is little bit lacking in getting a new PC up and running. I know it is suppose to be easy but I just have learned a new language(distro, flavor etc). I need somebody to assist me to get mint running etc. I don't want to try it by myself and get frustrated before even getting started. Do you know of anybody in the Durbanville area that can give me a hand?
I love the idea of linux, and hopefully the next few months will be a nice learning curve. I only use PC at home for general stuff(no games or fancy software).
Much appreciated.
Stefan
Hi Stefan,
I see no threat here, you meant "thread"? :)
Welcome to the MyBroadband forum. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Just make a new thread under the same Unix/Linux subsection, give it a nice name, so that other people can chime in, and state your stuffs there.

This thread is for getting some forumites' opinion of Ubuntu Core, an Internet of Things aimed operating syatem.

Anyways, my 2 cents on your question:
I would go the Ubuntu route, as it is the most complete OS for starting out on Linux for newbies.

Installation is very simple, all you need is a recent desktop ISO image, Ubuntu 20.04 or 18.04, a 8GB USB flash drive (you will lose the contents!) and BalenaEtcher (For putting the .iso file on the USB drive) or burn the .iso file to a blank DVD disk, if you're so inclined.

Flash the .iso file onto the USB drive on another Windows computer using BalenaEtcher, after that, insert the USB drive into the computer that you want to install Ubuntu or Mint on, select the USB device to boot from in the BIOS menu or boot menu. (F12, F2, your computer's boot device menu key may differ)
The rest is simple, they have a GUI to aid installation, and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers.

Last edited: