Ubuntu phones now available in South Africa

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Nice. Also looking forward to the review.

garyc

Expert Member
Interesting. Have just gone for a rival phone (iPhone), but am looking at moving over to the Ubuntu phone in the long term.

Necropolis

Executive Member
Hmmmmmmm...

Would be awesome to get one to play with for a few days.

Necropolis

Executive Member
Hmmmmmmm...

Would be awesome to get one to play with for a few days.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Should be interesting.

A smartphone, after all, is a portable computer. Only limitation is its screen and the amount of memory you can pack on one.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Interesting. Have just gone for a rival phone (iPhone), but am looking at moving over to the Ubuntu phone in the long term.

Those are about the opposite ends of the smart phone spectrum! The one is the ultimate nanny in terms of being locked into an ecosystem and limitations to the freedom you have to customise. The other is completely open source.
(Not shooting down the iphone - good product if that is what you need)

Paul_S

Expert Member
The other is completely open source.

+1
That's one of the primary reasons I'd pick an Ubuntu phone.
Why should I go through the hassle of rooting a phone to get SSH access to a shell environment?
Why can't I mess around with system files, set up my own bash and Python scripts?
In the end a smartphone is just a small PC with GSM capabilities so why should we treat them any differently to a desktop PC where you can load any OS you like and you determine the level of security and customization?

However I want a decent platform and the screen is a big let down.
380cd/m2 is practically unusable outdoors and 240ppi is nothing to write home about either.
Other than that, not too shabby.
Maybe the next version will be worth buying.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
+1
That's one of the primary reasons I'd pick an Ubuntu phone.
Why should I go through the hassle of rooting a phone to get SSH access to a shell environment?
Why can't I mess around with system files, set up my own bash and Python scripts?
In the end a smartphone is just a small PC with GSM capabilities so why should we treat them any differently to a desktop PC where you can load any OS you like and you determine the level of security and customization?

However I want a decent platform and the screen is a big let down.
380cd/m2 is practically unusable outdoors and 240ppi is nothing to write home about either.
Other than that, not too shabby.
Maybe the next version will be worth buying.

The Meizu Ubuntu Phone has much better specs though.

[video=youtube;MTZQ4bT9y8U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTZQ4bT9y8U[/video]

maxresdefault.jpg