UCT vice-chancellor praises student for work signed off with ‘one settler‚ one bullet’

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...-work-signed-off-with-one-settler-one-bullet/

University of Cape Town (UCT) vice-chancellor Mamokgethi Phakeng has congratulated a student on his honours project in which he ended his acknowledgements with the phrase‚ “ONE SETTLER‚ ONE BULLET!!”

According to the abstract‚ the project argues that South Africa is a settler-colonial society that was built and maintained through conquest.

“The settler and the natives’ relationship is a construction which orders its identity through violence‚” writes Mlandu.

The paper aims to understand how this relationship is sustained. Mlandu argues that “there is something that sustains the relationship between the native and the settler apart from the economic disparities between the two.

Marcan

No sure, now it is clear: #Fees must fall campaign was right.
All universities should be filled with Honours students and projects like this, and most of all Vice Chancellors who cheer it on.
Viva, Amandla Comrats !

Was UCT not the best varsity in SA at some stage ?

How embarrassing. Is this fool going to pass his thesis then? I can already spot multiple grammatical mistakes from the four pages he posted.

koeks525

Expert Member
That vice-chancellor was being messy on this one. Well on thing is for certain, UCT's name took a few bullets from this incident.

People in power need to understand there are certain things they can and cannot do... to protect the name of the insititute(s) they represent.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Everything considered, this was an own goal by the VC. Was it submitted complete with the offending words?

Knyro

Honorary Master
That vice-chancellor was being messy on this one. Well on thing is for certain, UCT's name took a few bullets from this incident.

People in power need to understand there are certain things they can and cannot do... to protect the name of the insititute(s) they represent.
Scrolling through her feed I see she likes to encourage students and congratulate them all the time.

10 to 1 she tweeted her congratulations without reading the pages he posted, then when it backfired she tried to backtrack.

Last edited:

Knyro

Honorary Master
How embarrassing. Is this fool going to pass his thesis then? I can already spot multiple grammatical mistakes from the four pages he posted.
Seriously, this is just slipshod. Subject matter aside proof-reading your honours research should be obvious.

That being said he shouldn't fail because of that.

/goes off to check own honours project for any embarrassing mistakes for the umpteenth time

rietrot

Executive Member
I think it could be a pretty good paper if he did it properly without the Malema theatrics at the end.

Sad and stupid that he had to do that.