UCT vice-chancellor praises student for work signed off with ‘one settler‚ one bullet’

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Guns & bullets are settler-specific artifacts, if he really understood the significance he would have said one settler one spear.

But then blood river..

Or like that decolonise science lady, sent some lightning like they supposedly teach at true African universities..

yebocan

Executive Member
Maybe he is referring to "Die slag van Bloedrivier" where each native got a bullet from a settler.
Oh good old Bloodriver....was a major part of the the crap I was fed during primary school History....how does it go again...50 settlers gunned down thousands of Zulu impis , only casualty on the settlers side was only Tant Henna breaking a nail...... native..?, come on.... the general imperial term during that period for an African was savage.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Was UCT not the best varsity in SA at some stage ?
Indeed it was, and thankfully I got mine in mid 80s way before these bunch of rifraff got in and destroyed it...
Distinctly recall walking up Jamie steps to write a Math Olympiad in Matric and feeling so proud that I would be entering a world renowned institution the following year...a dream come true really in some sense.

Fast forward 3 decades of corruption,violence and ineptness...
It now even ranks below a few African universities (as do all other SA institutions), but no one is really surprised with these free for all (unless you white) Ubuntu's in charge.

smkungfu

Oh good old Bloodriver....was a major part of the the crap I was fed during primary school History....how does it go again...50 settlers gunned down thousands of Zulu impis , only casualty on the settlers side was only Tant Henna breaking a nail...... native..?, come on.... the general imperial term during that period for an African was savage.
Yes each and everyone of them got a bullet. Not the other way around.

daveza

Honorary Master
Indeed it was, and thankfully I got mine in mid 80s way before these bunch of rifraff got in and destroyed it...

It now even ranks below a few African universities (as do all other SA institutions), but no one is really surprised with these free for all (unless you white) Ubuntu's in charge.
https://www.topuniversities.com/uni...d-university-rankings/top-universities-africa

Leading the way for the top universities in Africa is South Africa’s oldest university, the University of Cape Town, ranked joint 200th in the QS World University Rankings® 2019 along with Sweden’s Stockholm University.
https://www.news.uct.ac.za/article/-2018-05-28-the-top-university-in-africa

The University of Cape Town (UCT) has leapt up 36 places to 223rd in the world, according to the latest report from the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR).

UCT placed first in the country and on the continent.

MirageF1

Expert Member

http://www.uct.ac.za/main/research/rankings

Rankings
World rankings
  • 1st in Africa (Quacquarelli Symonds 2019)
  • 200th in the world (Quacquarelli Symonds 2019)
  • 1st in Africa (Times Higher Education 2017–18)
  • 171st in the world (Times Higher Education 2017–18)
  • 1st in Africa (Quacquarelli Symonds 2018)
  • 191st in the world (Quacquarelli Symonds 2018)
  • 2nd in Africa (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2017)
  • 301–400 in the world (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2017)
  • 1st in Africa (US News Best Global Universities 2017)
  • 112th in the world (US News Best Global Universities 2017)
  • 2nd in Africa (Center for World University Rankings 2016)
  • 265th in the world (Center for World University Rankings 2016)

There are many such articles, pick and choose as suits your agenda, i've seen it listed below University of Cairo.

But whatever.. it changes nothing...it's not even a blip on the world radar nowadays...

223rd :rolleyes:

Last edited: