UCT vice-chancellor praises student for work signed off with ‘one settler‚ one bullet’

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Freedom of expression university is not for safe spaces
Then why do they demand that ''offensive'' statues be taken down? :unsure:

Willing to bet money that the person who wrote the thesis is one of those that would've had an emotional breakdown at the sight of a Rhodes statue.

Sollie

Expert Member
Well if you can find me a court case where a university students thesis was deemed to be inciting violence it would be greatly appreciated.
When it comes to "one settler one bullet" we have what you seek, right here on MyBB as a starting point. But suddenly you are now adding a student's thesis as an exclusion? Please do supply me with a legal reference that excludes this specifically. What will be next? Will somebody whose name is Jojo, wearing pink shoelaces with white polka dots be excluded?

According to your theory some people are special ...

EADC

Expert Member
When it comes to one "settler one bullet" we have what you seek, right here on MyBB as a starting point. But suddenly you are now adding a student's thesis as an exclusion? Please do supply me with a legal reference that excludes this specifically. What will be next? Will somebody whose name is Jojo, wearing pink shoelaces with white polka dots be excluded?

According to your theory some people are special ...
I will take that as a no.

Sollie

Expert Member
When my daughter was ~6 yrs old, I said to her "I think you should stop playing now, go wash your hands and get ready for dinner." A few mins later, as I called her - her hands were still grubby. Asking her why she had not washed her hands, she said "but you said think".

How old are you?

EADC

Expert Member
When my daughter was ~6 yrs old, I said to her "I think you should stop playing now, go wash your hands and get ready for dinner." A few mins later, as I called her - her hands were still grubby. Asking her why she had not washed her hands, she said "but you said think".

How old are you?
Old enough to know that anecdotes don't trump facts.

porchrat

Honorary Master
That it occurred in a thesis seems largely irrelevant.

Unless you're now arguing I can hurl racial slurs like the K word at black people or call for genocide of a particular race as long as I do it in a thesis?

I'm not aware of any special protections afforded to theses in our legal system with regards to the incitement to violence and hate speech limitations to our right to freedom of expression. If you know of any please feel free to provide them. As far as I'm aware they're treated like any other work.

porchrat

Honorary Master
That's a slippery slope.
Not really no. You can't be incited by a work unless you've read it. This is just simple logic.

I don't think you quite follow what is being said here... do you know what the definition of the word "incite" is? I suggest you look it up, it may clear up some of the confusion.

konfab

Honorary Master
I'm not aware of any special protections afforded to theses in our legal system with regards to the incitement to violence and hate speech limitations to our right to freedom of expression. If you know of any please feel free to provide them. As far as I'm aware they're treated like any other work.
Nonsense, so long as the hate and violence is directed towards certain allowed groups of people, it would be allowed.