UFC head Dana White weighs in on Joe Rogan & Spotify letter

lexity

Expert Member
The only menace to public health was the nations of the world ruining the lives of their citizens by implementing hard lockdown procedures effectively bringing economies to it's knees. But Hey luckily the bodies aren't everywhere right?
Was that the thing I tripped over on my way to get milk this morning.... pffft. Thanks for the heads up, will mind my step tomorrow morning.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Rogan is a dumbass, but censoring opinions is bad. Popular people who voice incorrect opinions give opportunity for the experts to set the record straight, and maybe answer questions others may have had that couldn't be answered.

The conspiracy theorists who reject the studies of the majority of scientists for the loud minority won't be swayed by censorship anyway. It will only strengthen the conspiracy theory.

Like this:

Last edited:

lexity

Expert Member
Rogan is a dumbass, but censoring opinions is bad. Popular people who voice incorrect opinions give opportunity for the experts to set the record straight, and maybe answer questions others may have had that couldn't be answered.

The conspiracy theorists who reject the studies of the majority of scientists for the loud minority won't be swayed by censorship anyway. It will only strengthen the conspiracy theory.
"experts"

... in the eyes of whom?

a) the State, pretending to be capable of outperforming the price mechanism,

OR

b) a consumer on the hook for bad decisions?

#mises_calculation_problem

Nicodeamus

Honorary Master

Like this:

the phrase "follow the experts" and "scientific consensus" is just a pejorative. I don't understand how otherwise intelligent people can fall for this propaganda.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
"experts"

... in the eyes of whom?

a) the State, pretending to be capable of outperforming the price mechanism,

OR

b) a consumer on the hook for bad decisions?

#mises_calculation_problem

There is no "in the eyes of whom". Winning some popularity contest does not an expert make.

The experts are the ones who work with this stuff every day. The ones who do the research, the ones who release the papers that are peer (meaning others who work with it) reviewed where the methodology is found to be sound.

Not the ones who was on the cutting edge in the 80s, but moved on to other specializations.
Not the ones who latch on to some treatment and recommend it even in the absence of peer reviewed studies.
Not the ones who release studies, but fail during the peer review process. While their contribution is valuable, their opinions do not carry as much weight as those who actually have peer reviewed studies pass.

When I need an operation, or mechanic, or lawyer, I go to the guy who does it every day. I don't go to some guy with a podcast who claims that the guy doing it every day is wrong without proof.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
the phrase "follow the experts" and "scientific consensus" is just a pejorative. I don't understand how otherwise intelligent people can fall for this propaganda.

OK, you can listen to the fringe cases, the 2% who disagree, but who don't actually work on this specific problem, the scientists working in different fields and the Youtube personalities if it makes you happy. I will listen to those who actually work on the problem.

Nicodeamus

Honorary Master
OK, you can listen to the fringe cases, the 2% who disagree, but who don't actually work on this specific problem, the scientists working in different fields and the Youtube personalities if it makes you happy. I will listen to those who actually work on the problem.

Do you have a measure of that? Also break it down by conflict of interests.

lexity

Expert Member
Who cares what Dana White thinks.

Take a moment....

There-is-no-spoon.jpg

[there is no Right-wing]

lexity

Expert Member
There is no "in the eyes of whom". Winning some popularity contest does not an expert make.
Except for Democracy.

What is Democracy sans a BoR? If not a popularity contest?

The experts are the ones who work with this stuff every day. The ones who do the research, the ones who release the papers that are peer (meaning others who work with it) reviewed where the methodology is found to be sound.

Not the ones who was on the cutting edge in the 80s, but moved on to other specializations.
Not the ones who latch on to some treatment and recommend it even in the absence of peer reviewed studies.
Not the ones who release studies, but fail during the peer review process. While their contribution is valuable, their opinions do not carry as much weight as those who actually have peer reviewed studies pass.

When I need an operation, or mechanic, or lawyer, I go to the guy who does it every day. I don't go to some guy with a podcast who claims that the guy doing it every day is wrong without proof.
You go to someone who survives at the expense of would-be competition.

You know what that is?

No.... because you don't see would-be competition. Nobody does.

A market that is open to competition, does not a phenomenon exist, where the State is the substitute for a responsibility-mitigating consumer/individual/citizen.

#rigged

Edit: A market that is open to competition, does not a phenomenon exist, where the State is the substitute for a risk-mitigating, responsible consumer/individual/citizen.

Last edited:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan

Many of the people that work with this stuff every day also have opposing views.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master

You know what that is?

A market that is open to competition, does not a phenomenon exist, where the State is the substitute for a responsibility-mitigating consumer/individual/citizen.

#rigged

images

rh1

Expert Member
So you agree with the Israeli Immunologist who recently criticized Israeli approach to managing Covid, seeing as he works with it everyday? Or can you ignore him as a fringe scientist?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
So you agree with the Israeli Immunologist who recently criticized Israeli approach to managing Covid, seeing as he works with it everyday? Or can you ignore him as a fringe scientist?

Oh, I definitely agree he is an expert immunologist, and I trust his knowledge and opinions on the human the human immune system. Where he differs from others in his fields, I would like research done to find out why they get different results. For example the study in Israel stating that natural immunity is better than vaccine induced immunity, even though no-one else is able to replicate those results.

Being an expert in one field does not make you an expert in adjacent fields.

Where he has opinions in the epidemiology sphere, I value the opinions of epidemiologists more. For example stating that children should not be vaccinated when current data suggests that children are indeed at risk. Not as large a risk as older people, but still at risk.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Except for Democracy.

What is Democracy sans a BoR? If not a popularity contest?

You know what that is?

#rigged

Edit: A market that is open to competition, does not a phenomenon exist, where the State is the substitute for a risk-mitigating, responsible consumer/individual/citizen.

You live in South Africa and you still think democracy and popularity is a reliable indication of competence?

You are ranting and your logic is difficult to follow. Yes, there is competition? There is competition everywhere. That is why there is peer review. They release the papers for everyone to see, so everyone, all competition can call them out if they are wrong.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
For some unknown "dumbarses", Rogan and White do trigger a lot of people.

I wonder why?