UJ appoints 25-year-old Bhaso Ndzendze as head of department of politics and international relations

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Or it's the very reason we need AA/BEE, because we still have people who thinks it's impossible for a non white person to qualify for a prestigious position.

You only need BEE/AA if a non white person can't get a prestigious position on merit. You're your own worst enemy.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Also, not everyone is appointed to fulfill targets. If I exceed requirements and do exceptionally well in interviews, it's immaterial whether they want to include me in their stats.

If you don't include all in the stats, are the stats a true reflection?

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I have been in this country for 20+ years. There is no way you can change mind of people who relished good old days and find the current government oppressive. Especially the 50+ age group.

So you didn't experience apartheid then? So how can you compare or even comment on it?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So you didn't experience apartheid then? So how can you compare or even comment on it?
Same reason you were able to talk rubbish about Chiefs, headmen, sangomas, sniffing out people at meetings and all the tribal stuff you were talking about the other day? Or is being a member of an African tribe amongst some of your achievements? because I will withdraw and apologise if it is so.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
If you don't include all in the stats, are the stats a true reflection?
No one mentioned anything about omitting stats. In fact, you can't do that without infringing on other statutory obligations.

However, my point is this...
If I exceed requirements and do exceptionally well in interviews, it wouldn't matter if I'm included in some arbitrary quota system since there's more than a good chance I would have gotten the job without those quotas. Read this response with the original post it's addressing. Key point of the posts is highlighted.

cguy

Executive Member
So, my take on this as an ex-academic:

1) Yes, his qualifications seem rushed (1 year for a Masters, 2 for a PhD). Fast degree completions do happen, but usually it’s because something significant is found, which would typically result in a high citation count. His citation count is pretty low.
2) Yes, his research appears to be a bit on the weak side (poorly cited).
3) If someone has excellent teaching skills, they may obtain a senior lecturer position at a university despite a lackluster publication record.
4) HoD work is almost entirely administrative, and needs to be done on top of teaching and research.
5) Very few people want to do more than one appointment of this role (the extra pay isn’t worth the additional workload).
6) The real world requirements are typically: being a Senior Lecturer or above, having good organizational and communication skills, and the ability to deal with a lot of s^%t.
7) HoDs aren’t above other Senior Lecturers, Assistant Professors or Full Professors on the academic ladder.

Overall, is it surprising that they appointed a 25 year old? A little, since the job requires a lot of familiarity with the staff, rules, etc. On the other hand, the worst HoDs I’ve experienced have had a lot of familiarity with the role/department, but were more advanced in their careers and didn’t really have the time or interest to do well as HoD.

Ultimately, it’s not his academic record or his age that will determine his success, but his motivation, organizational and communication skills. If the UJ staff thought he excelled in this regard, then they probably made a good decision.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Same reason you were able to talk rubbish about Chiefs, headmen, sangomas, sniffing out people at meetings and all the tribal stuff you were talking about the other day? Or is being a member of an African tribe amongst some of your achievements? because I will withdraw and apologise if it is so.

How do you know what my experience of African tribal culture is? The fact that I have a Zulu name bestowed on me by the Zulu might point you in the right direction. By the way, any good university will confirm my assertions regarding tribal culture.

cn@

Expert Member
At last cguy gave his take on the subject. Regardless of his view on Politicial Science as an academic field (I don't know what it is), he is giving the necessary perspective that few people on this forum have.

cn@

Expert Member
@ Cosmic Debris ... you did give me a like for my previous post but I do have a bone to pick with you. You diss social sciences as if it's the scum of the earth and you fail to understand that social sciences aren't just "opinion". There are a legion of research methods, including statistical calculations that go into the study of political science. As a matter of fact it is widely known that political science is one the most multi-disciplinary academic fields.

And for the argument that practical scientific fields are worth more that abstract / social scientific fields ... consider a world where no-one is studying any social or philosophical issue at an advanced level whatsoever. What a poor place our world would be.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
@ Cosmic Debris ... you did give me a like for my previous post but I do have a bone to pick with you. You diss social sciences as if it's the scum of the earth and you fail to understand that social sciences aren't just "opinion". There are a legion of research methods, including statistical calculations that go into the study of political science. As a matter of fact it is widely known that political science is one the most multi-disciplinary academic fields.

And for the argument that practical scientific fields are worth more that abstract / social scientific fields ... consider a world where no-one is studying any social or philosophical issue at an advanced level whatsoever. What a poor place our world would be.
He loves STEM.

He probably thinks it's something to do with "Die Stem" and immediately snaps to attention and starts singing "uit die blou van Bonteheuwel" when he sees or hears the term.

teejay 44

So let's see. For 25 years black people have been given opportunities to excel. Nothing holding them back.

ANC support and backing. Black excellence.

And what have we got?

****all to show for it. Just jabbering and **** speak. And a country going down the drain.

Useless morons.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So let's see. For 25 years black people have been given opportunities to excel. Nothing holding them back.

ANC support and backing. Black excellence.

And what have we got?

****all to show for it. Just jabbering and **** speak. And a country going down the drain.

Useless morons.
But I don't understand why you are so upset, this is a joyous occasion, you are killing the vibe.