UK Daily Mail - Zuma Article

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Its probably precisely what he wants..

Pooky is incredibly naive in the ways of the world, and the political nuances of this planet... so I definitely wouldn't put it past him.

metalcore

I must say this article does over exagerate and paint an overly negative picture of SA. Its not good for our country

I think everyone needs to chillax a bit we all knew the outcome of the election and its not the first time that Zuma has been in the presidential office. Things won't be so bad as everyone thinks.

The overseas journos are actually going to do serious harm to our economy if they keep this up. They all bounce off each other look how the global economic crisis has been fueled by doomsayers and then the investors follow suit. Maybe some kind of agreement by the foreign media to not critisize would be a good thing in order to protect our economy and investor confidence.

ToxicBunny

metalcore : As I said... it was done in unsuitable emotive manner that painted an OVERLY negative picture.. unfortunately the negative picture is there already....

How would an overseas journo do serious harm to our economy?.. Investors follow alot more sources than just the journos.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
. Maybe some kind of agreement by the foreign media to not critisize would be a good thing in order to protect our economy and investor confidence.

Actually I can't think of anything that would kill investor confidence faster than that kind of censorship. Why would anyone agree to that anyway?

metalcore

metalcore : As I said... it was done in unsuitable emotive manner that painted an OVERLY negative picture.. unfortunately the negative picture is there already....

How would an overseas journo do serious harm to our economy?.. Investors follow alot more sources than just the journos.

This morning I heard on the radio (702/Cape Talk) about some report or study or something that was made public that shows how bad the global thing is(how much contraction in the US economy) . As soon as this report came out investors immediately reacted resulting in some markets coming in lower.

This made me think that if the report wasnt issued, the investors wouldnt have "reacted" and the markets would have been better, this lead me to realize that the media defnitely is fueling the economic woes.

Now imagine articles like this and how it will affect those damn investors overseas. Those who know little about SA will automatically assume the worst, those who know SA will assume the worst has happened.

I mean calling Koeberg a Chernobyl this guy needs to get his facts straight. Jacob Zuma has been singing that song since forever and a lot worse songs have been sung in the past. Plus in the 1st world countries like Europe they also have tons of african immigrants and slums over some, but not all of the hills.

I live in SA and I am a south african and I want whats best for the country and its people. The people being everyone, not just minority groups. Having idiots like this guy writing misinformed articles does so much harm for the country it makes we want to go and sing Umshini Wami outside his house because I will feel this in my pocket when the Rand slides down again fueled by all this negative sentiment.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Ok, reports like that are going to be issued by research firms, not journos. Point one.

EVERYONE is fueling this economic crisis... Point two

Overseas investors pay more attention to things like research reports than overseas journos regarding this country. Point three.

There have been numerous problems at Koeberg which ARE public knowledge and I can guarantee people are paying attention to it.

If you want whats best for this country you wouldn't be trying to squash criticism, you should be reacting to it in a positive way. And the article wasn't entirely misinformed, as much as you would like it to be, a fair number of his facts were correct.

TMoose

Expert Member
ANC 66.85%
DA 16%
COPE 7.7%

74.05% of districts declared - Source SAFM

Syndyre

Honorary Master
This morning I heard on the radio (702/Cape Talk) about some report or study or something that was made public that shows how bad the global thing is(how much contraction in the US economy) . As soon as this report came out investors immediately reacted resulting in some markets coming in lower.

This made me think that if the report wasnt issued, the investors wouldnt have "reacted" and the markets would have been better, this lead me to realize that the media defnitely is fueling the economic woes.

Now imagine articles like this and how it will affect those damn investors overseas. Those who know little about SA will automatically assume the worst, those who know SA will assume the worst has happened.

I mean calling Koeberg a Chernobyl this guy needs to get his facts straight. Jacob Zuma has been singing that song since forever and a lot worse songs have been sung in the past. Plus in the 1st world countries like Europe they also have tons of african immigrants and slums over some, but not all of the hills.

I live in SA and I am a south african and I want whats best for the country and its people. The people being everyone, not just minority groups. Having idiots like this guy writing misinformed articles does so much harm for the country it makes we want to go and sing Umshini Wami outside his house because I will feel this in my pocket when the Rand slides down again fueled by all this negative sentiment.

Not publishing anything negative isn't going to change the facts or make things any better. It may just make things worse as people don't know how bad things are and so pull out of any risky assets.

I don't think most investors take the Daily Mail very seriously anyway.