UK dentist locked up in Dubai after glass of wine with in-flight meal

schumi

Honorary Master
London - A dentist has been left stranded in Dubai after allegedly breaking the country’s strict alcohol laws by drinking a glass of wine on the flight there.

Dr Ellie Holman and her four-year-old daughter BiBi were locked up in a ‘foul-smelling’ jail soon after arriving in the United Arab Emirates.

Immigration officials initially confronted Dr Holman for not having a valid visa. They then questioned the 44-year-old mother of three about her alcohol consumption, and she admitted having a glass of red wine which was served with her in-flight meal.

Although drinking alcohol is illegal in the conservative Arab state, it is served as standard on Emirates Airlines on flights from the UK to Dubai.

Dr Holman, of Sevenoaks, Kent, was locked up and charged with alcohol consumption. She has since been released on bail – but her passport has been retained by UAE officials. who have allegedly said her case could take a year to resolve.

Her husband Gary flew out leaving the couple’s other children – Suri, nine, and Noah, eight – with relatives. BiBi and her father have now been allowed to fly back to the UK while Dr Holman, a Swedish national, is staying with friends in Dubai.

Last night Dr Holman, 44, said she was ‘terrified’ of the impact her arrest would have on her daughter, who spent three days with her in jail. Dr Holman, who runs a dental practice, said: ‘I just want to go home.
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/uk...er-glass-of-wine-with-in-flight-meal-16502629

ForceFate

Executive Member
Well then dont serve the bloody stuff on their planes?
They don't force the beverage down people's throats, do they? What did she have before the flight? Maybe she spilled some on herself. I don't think a single glass of wine makes that much difference. There's more.

ForceFate

Executive Member
maybe you can't read too well, it was on the flight ..... farking pathetic religiots, the airline does not serve as their 'fiefdom'
I read the article.
I don't blame her. However, it doesn't change the fact that they have laws that must be respected whether one agrees with them or not.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master
They don't force the beverage down people's throats, do they? What did she have before the flight? Maybe she spilled some on herself. I don't think a single glass of wine makes that much difference. There's more.
Then how can they even offer the drinks?
Why anyone would want to travel to any of these places is beyond my understanding

Garson007

Honorary Master
I read the article.
I don't blame her. However, it doesn't change the fact that they have laws that must be respected whether one agrees with them or not.
Why serve alcohol on the flight? Why not arrest 90% of the passengers on the plane - all of whom had a drink?

This doesn't make any sense.

If reading between the lines an unaccompanied(travelling with out a man) woman, had a drink on a flight. Might have upsetted one of those pious examples of high virtues with such amoral behaviour.

Such a righteous country. Or is this the height of hypocrisy???

Is this not the same country who welcomes South African politicians / criminals and their thieving sons with open arms, welcoming both the criminals and their ill-gotten " state-captured" cash???

Dave

Honorary Master
If reading between the lines an unaccompanied(travelling with out a man) woman, had a drink on a flight. Might have upsetted one of those pious examples of high virtues with such amoral behaviour.
Sounds about right, they didn’t like the idea of a single unaccompanied woman getting above what they view as her station and the Sharia police pounced.