UK objects to description of Gibraltar as 'British colony' in EU law

ponder

Honorary Master
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47087439

The UK has objected to Gibraltar being described as a "colony" in European Union legislation allowing UK nationals to travel to the EU after Brexit.

The EU proposed allowing visa-free travel for Britons in November.

The Spanish government has since insisted a footnote be added describing Gibraltar as a "colony" and referring to "controversy" over its status.

The UK's ambassador to the EU, Sir Tim Barrow, objected to it at a meeting in Brussels earlier.
Weird how many other EU countries have foreign territories and nobody is is insisting on them being called colonies...

Could Spain please elaborate on Ceuta, Melilla & Canary Islands for example...

Frequent visitor

Expert Member
No chance! Spain has a downturn, Gibraltar is used as a diversion. It's just a game. Politics, it's called. If the UK ceded in the matter, Spanish politicians would throw a fit! Another excuse down.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I back this move by the EU. Hopefully they extend the same definition to all the other British territories around the world, and punish Britain heavily.

Jola

Honorary Master
I back this move by the EU. Hopefully they extend the same definition to all the other British territories around the world, and punish Britain heavily.
And the French, Spanish, Poruguese, etc territories ?

Arthur

Honorary Master
And the French, Spanish, Poruguese, etc territories ?
Nah. Leave them be. For now, at least. ;)

I must admit my reason is entirely political: This sort of thing only helps the cause for British independence. The more people get irritated with the EU the more sense Brexit makes.