UK: Police who warned man about 'transphobic' tweet acted unlawfully

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Police officers unlawfully interfered with a man’s right to freedom of expression by turning up at his place of work to speak to him about allegedly “transphobic” tweets, the high court has ruled.

Harry Miller, a former police officer who founded the campaign group Fair Cop, said the actions of Humberside police had a “substantial chilling effect” on his right to free speech.

Miller, 54 and from Lincolnshire, claims an officer told him he had not committed a crime, but that his tweeting was being recorded as a “hate incident”.

The College of Policing’s guidance defines a transgender hate incident as “any non-crime incident which is perceived, by the victim or any other person, to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice against a person who is transgender or perceived to be transgender”.

In a ruling on Friday, the high court in London found the actions of Humberside police were a “disproportionate interference” with Miller’s right to freedom of expression.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Ah the UK has become a leftists wet dream. They must love all this nanny state bull.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Ah the UK has become a leftists wet dream. They must love all this nanny state bull.
I think it is quite polarised. The Conservatives won an overwhelming majority, yet publications like the BBC and the Guardian are incredibly Leftist, and would have you believe that the entire country is.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
I think it is quite polarised. The Conservatives won an overwhelming majority, yet publications like the BBC and the Guardian are incredibly Leftist, and would have you believe that the entire country is.
Yeah I suppose, if you watch channels like Sky News for instance you get the impression that the average UK citizen really has been turned into complete wusses that can't even change a tyre anymore.

rambo919

Executive Member
Yeah I suppose, if you watch channels like Sky News for instance you get the impression that the average UK citizen really has been turned into complete wusses that can't even change a tyre anymore.
Most can't though.....

Cray

Honorary Master
Why don't you find out?
I was hoping someone might know already before I had trawl through a whole bunch of news articles..

Anyway, this was one of them, he didn't write it but retweeted it.

tweet.JPG

konfab

Honorary Master
Why do you think there is so much kvetching at the BBC with BJ wanting to end the compulsory licence fee?
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/11/bbc-boss-warns-end-of-licence-fee-would-mean-no-cbeebies

They know their garbage wouldn't sell if people were not forced to buy it.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Why do you think there is so much kvetching at the BBC with BJ wanting to end the compulsory licence fee?
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/11/bbc-boss-warns-end-of-licence-fee-would-mean-no-cbeebies

They know their garbage wouldn't sell if people were not forced to buy it.
Honestly I don't think that the BBC should be in the news business at all. Entertainment yes but not news.

The thing is, everyone is biased to some degree. It is absolutely impossible to escape bias and foolish to pretend that you can be unbiased. So, the BBC is always going to have a bias, when they are supposed to be neutral.

I read a good book lately that basically says the BBC has become increasingly hostile to its own government. As in, not patriotic at all, doesn't support the UK as a country, despite being the state broadcaster.

Anyway, neither the Tories nor Labour were happy with the BBC's election coverage. They should just stop the BBC from reporting the news. These days people have lots of news sources anyway.