[UK] Salon criticised over anti-homeless water sprinklers

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Salon criticised over anti-homeless water sprinklers

A tanning salon in Bristol has been criticised after anti-homeless sprinklers were installed outside its entrance.

The Bristol Post reported the sprinkler system drips water, deterring overnight sleepers.

Consol said staff had to deal with "severe anti-social behaviour" that accompanied the rough sleepers.

But campaigner and founder of Help Bristol's Homeless Jasper Thompson called the measure "a bit draconian".

Mr Thompson said he found it "quite remarkable in 2018 that you'd go to such measures to stop someone sleeping in your doorway.

"I appreciate there is an issue with homelessness in the town centre, but I don't think it is the right way to go about it".

The sprinklers were installed about six months ago.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Consol said their problem was not with rough sleeping, but the "severe anti-social behaviour that has frequently accompanied it".

"On opening, our shop has been littered with bedding, broken glass, food waste, faeces and syringes.

"Daily, we had to call a cleansing team to make the area safe again, or the police to report anti-social behaviour".

The spokesperson said that all of their problems stopped after installing the water sprinklers.

saor

Honorary Master
Could just see it as free showers for the homeless.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I will propably go to hell for laughing at this. Oh what the hell....I am going to hell anyway. /shrug

/laughs

gregmcc

Honorary Master
And the CT people are all crying...what a waste of water :)

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Brilliant idea. 13 years ago I use to managed a retail store in Plumstead where the local hobo's (bergies) decided to campout by our fire exit. They also used the old gas canister cage to store years of old clothes. I had endless battles with them to cleanup the mess: using the doorway as a toilet; broken bottles; rotten food; vomit; etc

I had to lock the old gas cage, constantly take the trash they left around to the dump and do surprise inspections at night to chase them away. I even paid another bunch of bergies to help keep an eye on the place during weekends and holidays - at least these guys wanted to be helped.

I concluded after doing some work at the Wynberg night shelter that the ones causing the problems really did not want to be helped.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Gautrain stations also use similar to these to deter sleeping afaik (not homeless,just general)

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Rather let the sprinklers drip permanent dye to mark the bastards :twisted:

... or ... H2SO4

Hemps

Honorary Master
Mr Thompson said he found it "quite remarkable in 2018 that you'd go to such measures to stop someone sleeping in your doorway.
So you wouldn't complain or do anything if they pitched up at your front door, right!!!

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
They should all go sleep outside his doorway then...

spiff

Executive Member
reminds me of the time I was staying in my top floor flat back in the 80's - we also had bergies coming in our court yard at night causing a ruckus. one Friday night myself and GF were preparing supper and a bergie by the name of Ann was bitching and moaning downstairs by a flat where she got hand outs. the owner was out at the time.

the next day I come home from driving my GF to Constantia village standard bank, to find the cops and city morgue vehicles parked outside the block of flats. spoke to a neighbour and he said this bergie Ann had died while leaning up against the ballustrade - they had to force her hands off the balustrade.

after this no other bergie dared come into the court yard!

The_Assimilator

Executive Member
The homeless, and companies' attempts to deter them, are merely a symptom of governments failing their populations. It is the latter who should be coming in for criticism, not the former.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
More than 300,000 people - or 1 in every 200 people - are now homeless in the UK.

That becomes 1 in every 59 in London.

Last edited: