Ukrainian tourist stabbed to death, robbed while hiking in Hout Bay, Cape Town

schumi

Honorary Master
A Ukrainian tourist on a walk in Table Mountain National Park in Hout Bay was stabbed to death during a robbery on Saturday, Western Cape police said.

The 44-year-old man died at the scene near East Fort, a coastal fortification on the popular scenic Chapman's Peak Drive, at around 11:00.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Andrè Traut said three suspects fled with the man's backpack which contained his personal effects.

Neighbourhood watch members caught one man, 25, allegedly in possession of the stolen items.

Andrè van Schalkwyk, chairperson of the Table Mountain Safety Action Group, told News24 the attack took place a mere 10m up the trail, not far from the car park.

The vicinity is quite overgrown, he said, but is not currently flagged as a hotspot.

The incident is not the first robbery at East Fort but there hasn't been one for a "long time".

Van Schalkwyk, however, warned hikers to be careful and to not venture out on their own but rather with a bigger group.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ukrainian-tourist-stabbed-to-death-while-hiking-in-hout-bay-20190727

thechamp

Honorary Master
What wrong with their travel agent/ embassy? Don't they issue warnings?
And? People get the warning and still travel anyway, some enjoy their stay with no incidents and some are not so lucky.

Rip and condolences.

garp

Executive Member
RIP.

Such a tragedy that we can't even enjoy our beautiful natural areas any more. I used to hike around the trails in the South Peninsula whenever I felt like it. Nowadays you only do it if you can organise a posse first, and even then there's no guarantee of safety.

And this apparently happened only 10m from a public parking area and not even far into a trail. So just parking your car along Chapman's Peak Drive and strolling around is becoming potentially hazardous.

I've seen a lot of FB posts saying that there is no solution as long as there is inequality and poverty. Sorry, I don't buy it, and frankly it's insulting to poor people. Poverty is no excuse for murder under any circumstances, and most of these crimes are fuelled by the desperate need to buy tik, not food. The real issue is that this country has become utterly lawless with no consequences for criminals. Yes, they caught the guy apparently in this case, but probably only because of the crime's high profile nature.

access

Executive Member
RIP.

Such a tragedy that we can't even enjoy our beautiful natural areas any more. I used to hike around the trails in the South Peninsula whenever I felt like it. Nowadays you only do it if you can organise a posse first, and even then there's no guarantee of safety.

And this apparently happened only 10m from a public parking area and not even far into a trail. So just parking your car along Chapman's Peak Drive and strolling around is becoming potentially hazardous.

I've seen a lot of FB posts saying that there is no solution as long as there is inequality and poverty. Sorry, I don't buy it, and frankly it's insulting to poor people. Poverty is no excuse for murder under any circumstances, and most of these crimes are fuelled by the desperate need to buy tik, not food. The real issue is that this country has become utterly lawless with no consequences for criminals. Yes, they caught the guy apparently in this case, but probably only because of the crime's high profile nature.
yeah im sceptical of stomping around the place lately, the last time i was on the mountain a group was mugged close to where i suggested to the wife we turn back.

saor

Honorary Master
We need a school for criminals that teaches them how to do their job without killing.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Ignored the warning and RIP?
Yes, is there some English etiquette rule I am missing regarding the use of the expression? Somebody asked me if I am Marc Batchelor's family the previous time I used it.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
RIP.

The needless killing is a legacy of apartheid, the amount of violence and atrocities witnessed by people in townships etc really messed up people's head yet when the ANC took power they did nothing to rehabilitate the population and right now they still don't acknowledge that the country is still suffering from this problem.

schumi

Honorary Master
Son of Ukrainian hiker murdered on Chapman’s Peak 'will never visit SA'

Cape Town - The son of the Ukrainian tourist who was murdered on the Chapman’s Peak hiking trail said he will never visit South Africa - even though his father was planning to bring his family to Cape Town after falling in love with the city.
Ivan Ivanov, 43, was stabbed to death on Saturday while hiking on Chapman’s Peak and his belongings were stolen. Police have arrested one suspect.

The deceased man's son, Gleb Ivanov, said his father was extremely fond of Cape Town and had intentions of bringing the family here one day.

He praised the work that Hout Bay’s Community Policing Forum did to bring the assailant to justice but added that he would never visit South Africa.

The slain father leaves behind three children: Gleb, 20, a 12-year-old daughter, Taisia, and another son, Makar, 3.
On Sunday, more than 40 first responders, security personnel and community members gathered at Chapman’s Peak to pay their respects to Ivanov.
The slain man was in town working as a company detective for Bureau Veritas, a company that tests, inspects and certifies products and processes from companies world-wide.
Ivanov had visited South Africa three times and wanted to spend his final weekend in the city doing his favourite activity, hiking. Before he left, he was warned not to climb Chapman’s Peak alone. Ten metres away from the parking lot, Ivanov was stabbed to death and robbed.
Roberto Quintas, Hout Bay’s ward councillor, spoke to the crowd about crime and what its implications were for the area.
“Mr Ivanov’s murder cost not only a family their father and husband, but it has a great opportunity cost to Hout Bay as well. Many of our communities and businesses depend on the visitors that come from near and far. We can't afford for people to start shutting shop because visitors start coming in fewer numbers.”
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/son-of-ukrainian-hiker-murdered-on-chapmans-peak-will-never-visit-sa-30019070

noxibox

Honorary Master
I'd consider the lower areas to be more likely to be dangerous. The further up the trail the further criminals have to walk.

most of these crimes are fuelled by the desperate need to buy tik, not food.
More of a want than a need. There is no withdrawal comparable to alcohol or heroin. They just want more.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Sounds like a psychopath: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ukrainian-hiker-man-accused-of-stabbing-tourist-to-death-in-cape-town-was-out-on-parole-20190729
The man accused of robbing and stabbing a Ukrainaian tourist to death on Chapman's Peak was out on parole at the time, the Wynberg Magistrate's Court heard on Monday.

Prosecutor Nicky Kolisi did not give further details about the parole of Sinaye Mposelwa, 23, but said he had another case pending against him.
"The accused is no stranger to court. He assaulted and robbed one of the Legal Aid lawyers in this building earlier this year or last year," she told Magistrate Goolam Bawa.

lived666

Executive Member
This is so sad. Our country is stunning and we could have trails to rival the best world-wide but ffs, the crime is just such a deterrent .Jesus killed for a shitty backpack that had what, some water and snacks and maybe a mobile.:mad:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
The needless killing is a legacy of apartheid, the amount of violence and atrocities witnessed by people in townships etc really messed up people's head yet when the ANC took power they did nothing to rehabilitate the population and right now they still don't acknowledge that the country is still suffering from this problem.
Mmm people have been slaughtering each other long before Aparheid was here....