Ukrainian tourist stabbed to death, robbed while hiking in Hout Bay, Cape Town

rietrot

Honorary Master
Geez. It's time for the Capies to go out and clean up your mountain.

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
Really sad. I have not hiked in years because of the constant fear when on a hike and doing it as a group is not always fun.

upup

Executive Member
The needless killing is a legacy of apartheid, the amount of violence and atrocities witnessed by people in townships etc really messed up people's head yet when the ANC took power they did nothing to rehabilitate the population and right now they still don't acknowledge that the country is still suffering from this problem.
What did I just read.

Jola

Honorary Master
What did I just read.
Yeah, that is BS, Apartheid wasn't enforced after Mandela was released in 1989, and assuming that kids of age 6 and younger did not really know what was going on, anyone younger than about 36 does not have personal experience of Apartheid.

Unless the perps are all somewhat older than 36, more likely 40 or 50 ? BS !

OCP

Expert Member
Mmm people have been slaughtering each other long before Aparheid was here....
Exactly.

Virtually every civilization has gone through a period of bloodshed and violence.

There were decapitated heads on the bridge to London and hunting permits for Aboriginals 100 years ago.

The Dutch did terrible things in Indonesia.
The Vikings / Huns / Inca's going back through history did not suffer under apartheid and slaughtered just fine by themselves.

Yes, there are contributing factors but anyone is capable of doing dispicable things. Whether you do or don't is still very much within your own control.

Jola

Honorary Master
Yeah, well, so is stabbing tourists to death while they stroll around Chapman's Peak Drive. It is what it is...
Don't know why tourists still come to SA.

Do they suffer from invincibility complexes ?

nightjar

Expert Member
The needless killing is a legacy of apartheid, the amount of violence and atrocities witnessed by people in townships etc really messed up people's head yet when the ANC took power they did nothing to rehabilitate the population and right now they still don't acknowledge that the country is still suffering from this problem.
That's tripe.
The TRC (Tutu Revenge Commission) with the best will in the world was only able to blame apartheid for 7000 deaths during its forty years of existence. During the last 3 - 4 years of apartheid black on black violence claimed 14000 lives and, in the early 1800s, Zulu culture killed an estimated 2 - 3 million blacks. The ANC, under Mbeki, had no compunction about withholding meds from AIDS/HIV sufferers and killing off some 360 000 victims.

Taking that into consideration, it would seem that apartheid was a lot more benign than the ANC.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
This is so sad. Our country is stunning and we could have trails to rival the best world-wide but ffs, the crime is just such a deterrent .Jesus killed for a shitty backpack that had what, some water and snacks and maybe a mobile.:mad:
I used to do solo hikes all over the South Peninsula in the early 2000s, not anymore (personal factors). I wondered why tourists only go to Kirstenbosch and Cape Point, when we have so many other areas to explore. I guess it makes sense to stick to safety in numbers...

nightjar

Expert Member
The Vikings / Huns / Inca's going back through history did not suffer under apartheid and slaughtered just fine by themselves.
I don't think any of them turned cannibal as happened here in the 1800s

Milano

Honorary Master
_20190729_210259.JPG

nightjar

Expert Member
You were there? ;-)
ii8 FAMINE AND CANNIBALISM.
"It appears that the vanquished are fled in three directions : one party over the river (Vaal), which was seen by the spies, and the other two keep the river beyond Scbonelo's place. His people find them scattered in straggling parties, and kill them wherever they get them. They appear to be dying of hunger, and Mr. Hodgson witnessed the most horrid spectacles^ Where they stopped one night
the unhappy people had encamped the night before, and had left behind them two women and a man, who were feeding on the body of a dead companion ; they were stamping the bones to suck out the marrow. I know you will shudder when I tell you that, they did it without the least emotion. They pointed to the mangled limbs, and told Mr. Hodgson the name of the man.
(Lives of Robert and Mary Moffat by John S Moffat - Cornell University Library)

borro

People in townships have no agency?

Sollie

Expert Member
So is Sinaye Mposelwa a 23 year old war vet now?

You probably agree with this twitter?
The denial of Colonial and Apartheid South Africa's Genocide and atrocities should be criminalized just like Nazi denialism is criminalized in Europe.
Perhaps you should also put the blame where it belongs:
https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/son-of-ukrainian-hiker-murdered-on-chapmans-peak-will-never-visit-sa-30019070
While Schalkwyk strongly commends the work that rangers and officials are doing on the ground, he’s concerned with the progress of change on a higher level.

“The authorities are nowhere to be seen,” he said of police changes and security implementation in the park. With the state of violent criminal activity in the park, the group feels they must take measures into their own hands by hiring private security guards or carry weapons themselves.
... until we have another Clifton so that the ruling party can throw their toys, who will throw a goat off the mountain not that Andile has gone to ground? Will you volunteer?

Perhaps if criminals are so traumatized that they now have to kill innocent people, we need to put them out of their misery like rabid dogs. I guess a bleedign heart group had some input into getting this poor soul out of jail and on bail:
"The accused is no stranger to court. He assaulted and robbed one of the Legal Aid lawyers in this building earlier this year or last year," she told Magistrate Goolam Bawa
I does not help making a common criminal off as a victim, it serves nobody. At the same time you're dissing people who really suffered under apartheid.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The difference is that the Rwandan government actually dealth with the social problems faced by the nation where as the South African government did nothing.
So is Sinaye Mposelwa a 23 year old war vet now?

You probably agree with this twitter?

Perhaps you should also put the blame where it belongs:
https://www.iol.co.za/capeargus/news/son-of-ukrainian-hiker-murdered-on-chapmans-peak-will-never-visit-sa-30019070

... until we have another Clifton so that the ruling party can throw their toys, who will throw a goat off the mountain not that Andile has gone to ground? Will you volunteer?

Perhaps if criminals are so traumatized that they now have to kill innocent people, we need to put them out of their misery like rabid dogs. I guess a bleedign heart group had some input into getting this poor soul out of jail and on bail:

I does not help making a common criminal off as a victim, it serves nobody. At the same time you're dissing people who really suffered under apartheid.
Strawman much?

Maybe I should just strawman you as a defender of Apartheid but then again maybe that wouldn't be a strawman at all and is actually closer to reality

What I was saying that there's an underlying culture of violence in the culture which I feel that traces back to 80s and government pretends that it does not exist.

Sollie

Expert Member
The difference is that the Rwandan government actually dealth with the social problems faced by the nation where as the South African government did nothing.

Strawman much?

Maybe I should just strawman you as a defender of Apartheid but then again maybe that wouldn't be a strawman at all and is actually closer to reality

What I was saying that there's an underlying culture of violence in the culture which I feel that traces back to 80s and government pretends that it does not exist.
You claim that culture of violence is linked to apartheid, thus certain groups. Since I point it out, I'm a raaaaaycist.

Ag my fok Maralize! :X3:

Jola

Honorary Master
Hmm, IMO the culture of violence goes back to Shaka Zulu and earlier when the San and other peoples were all but wiped out in KZN.

It didn't start during the Apartheid years.