UKZN students burn mattresses in protest over 'uncomfortable' beds

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
Fed up with the poor condition of their beds, University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) education students have resorted to setting them on fire.

Students at a university residence in Hospital Road, near Durban’s South Beach, burnt the metal frames of their beds on Sunday night to voice their dissatisfaction.

On Monday morning, burning mattresses were seen being flung out of windows at the residence, occupied by education students from the UKZN's Edgewood campus. The protest resulted in lectures at the campus being cancelled.

Student representative council (SRC) president Sanele Hlongwa told TimesLIVE that they set their beds alight because they could no longer sleep on them.

"For ages now, students have been asking that their beds be changed. The building at Hospital Road is a university-owned building. The university has changed the beds at residences on campus. The same must be applied to off-campus residences," said Hlongwa.

"The students are saying the institution is also responsible for them, because there is no landlord. Those beds have metal bases which are extremely uncomfortable. Only mattresses have been changed in the past, not the entire bed.

"Students are saying they are fed up and they want new beds like the ones that are on campus."

Hlongwa said the university was considering ordering new beds for about 176 aggrieved students. He added that all UKZN campuses except Edgewood were operating normally.

Thats no reason to burn your bed!

UKZN spokesperson Normah Zondo said management was aware of the protest action at the residence in Hospital Road. "Unfortunately the students have not communicated their grievances as yet," she said.
Zondo said a residence inspection team, including SRC members, has been put in place at each campus to address residence matters. "A plan of action has been agreed to with respect to critical housing challenges, which is currently being implemented," she added.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...attresses-in-protest-over-uncomfortable-beds/

supersunbird

Honorary Master
UKZN spokesperson Normah Zondo said management was aware of the protest action at the residence in Hospital Road. "Unfortunately the students have not communicated their grievances as yet," she said.
Zondo said a residence inspection team, including SRC members, has been put in place at each campus to address residence matters. "A plan of action has been agreed to with respect to critical housing challenges, which is currently being implemented," she added.

If the students are anything like users, they will do anything (even sit with an issue for weeks) but lodge a complaint by the correct process (like just sending an e-mail).

RedViking

Nord of the South
th

RedViking

Nord of the South
If the students are anything like users, they will do anything (even sit with an issue for weeks) but lodge a complaint by the correct process (like just sending an e-mail).
You think they haven't tried that? They probably did, they UKZN managment is probably just as useless.

Mila

Honorary Master
Their living conditions are actually horrendous for what they pay;

I hear you, I lived in a youth hostel. If you didn't want to sleep on the shyty mattress you bought your own.

I agree those places looks terrible. It should not be rented out like that.
In the hostel we were liable for the damages. But how do you recoup money if they stuff up the place?

MAybe make them fix it themselves? Seems like nobody cares that they live in pig sty's

I feel there is a general disregard for these places. The Technicon hostels were the pride of the tech and now it looks like this. Why? Maintenance? doubt that is the biggest issue here. IF you do not have any pride you will not have any regard for the place you live in.

Just because you are poor doesn't mean you have to be dirty. Sies man.

KantSnyer

Expert Member
Standard issue. Bring your own base if you are not happy with the one supplied.
Adulting. You need to start collecting your own stuff anyway. A bed is a good start.

Agreed, but whats the alternative to a metal base, wood? How is that more comfortable, the burning mattress in the article looks decent, cant see how the base of the bed would affect comfort with a mattress that thick?

thestaggy

Honorary Master

I love this.

Receive a call from an outraged person complaining about something; ''I'VE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH THIS FOR NEARLY TWO WEEKS AND I CANNOT WORK LIKE THIS!''

''This is the first time it has been brought to my attention, why didn't you report it earlier?''

''I'M REPORTING IT NOW! COME FIX IT!''

RedViking

Nord of the South
So you resort to acting like an ape and burn your bed. Right. Go figure.
FFS stop defending idiocy.
I think the conditions are so bad, burning their beds made it better. Unfortunately this is the way they function and the useless management or government only cares when they make a fire. The problem is when they burn other peoples stuff.... If the managment doesn't listen this is what will happen next. Hopefully phase 1 solves the issue.