UN Says Climate Genocide Is Coming. It’s Actually Worse Than That.

Eniigma

Expert Member
Are you a vegetarian, subsidence farmer?
Do you own a petrol car?
Now you're just being obtuse...

there is a hell of a lot more we can do as a species to reduce our impact on the planet and reduce our effect on climate change. But I guess it's easier to go full retard and say it must be all or nothing. It is the easier option after all.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Now you're just being obtuse...

there is a hell of a lot more we can do as a species to reduce our impact on the planet and reduce our effect on climate change. But I guess it's easier to go full retard and say it must be all or nothing. It is the easier option after all.
No. I'm probably doing more than you, and don't have a big carbon footprint. Sort out your own mess first before you want to be all doom and gloom and tell other people what to do on the Internet.

Eniigma

Expert Member
No. I'm probably doing more than you, and don't have a big carbon footprint. Sort out your own mess first before you want to be all doom and gloom and tell other people what to do on the Internet.
Do you have kids? (It's about as relevant as your questions earlier) What about the impact they're going to have, or thier spawn, or the spawn of their spawn?

The world collectively needs to catch a wake up and realise they harm we're causing, the millions and millions of tons of plastic waste etc, hell all the energy and immisions generated in making those millions of tons of plastic we throw away each year.

I agree that I need to sort my **** out, just as you need to do yours, but instead of saying don't talk to me until you have won't help either. Collectively all 8+ billion people need to sort their **** out, but hey your route is easier and cheaper so lets just do that and live in denial till its too late to have any effect on the spead of which it happens.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Do you have kids? (It's about as relevant as your questions earlier) What about the impact they're going to have, or thier spawn, or the spawn of their spawn?

The world collectively needs to catch a wake up and realise they harm we're causing, the millions and millions of tons of plastic waste etc, hell all the energy and immisions generated in making those millions of tons of plastic we throw away each year.

I agree that I need to sort my **** out, just as you need to do yours, but instead of saying don't talk to me until you have won't help either. Collectively all 8+ billion people need to sort their **** out, but hey your route is easier and cheaper so lets just do that and live in denial till its too late to have any effect on the spead of which it happens.
Ja typical Al gore greeny. We are all doomed. Pay more tax, but leave me alone, I'm not the problem. It is the world and other people.

Lead by example, or shut up.

Swa

Honorary Master
Nah rather, the world is on fire and we just keep throwing on more petrol....

I'd like to say I'd love to see the look on your face when proved you're proven wrong, but really I wouldn't wish that on anyone and we'll all be suffering.
The truth is more along the lines of we don't know wtf we are doing. We might be pouring water, petrol on the fire or just standing by watching something we have no control over. We just don't know so stop with all the what ifs.

Just like they have always been. How many species has gone extinct in the past.
I would usually ignore you, rietrot, but that question demands an answer:
Although extinction is a natural phenomenon, it occurs at a natural “background” rate of about one to five species per year. Scientists estimate we're now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the background rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day [1]. It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century [2].
From here

rietrot

Honorary Master

From here
We still don't know how many different species we have even today. Until recently we had completely undiscovered areas on land were we can actually travel and breath nevermind underwater. The few fossils that we have is in no way an accurate indication of how many species went extinct in the past. To say we have incomplete data is an understatement and if what you are extrapolating from that incomplete data is so vastly different than reality today, you are probably doing it wrong.

So brave, NCP approves

There are at least 20 different definitions of species. Useless statistic if we can't settle this issue. Heck, some definitions may even show species increase.
**** NCP.

If we use the same definition of species for the past rate as for the present rate, this problem falls way, doesn't it?

Swa

Honorary Master
Just like they have always been. How many species has gone extinct in the past.
Not losing species is more human sentiment than anything else in the grand context.

From here
If that's the case it would throw a major stick in the spoke of the idea that creation is evolving rather than deteriorating.

Eniigma

Expert Member
Ja typical Al gore greeny. We are all doomed. Pay more tax, but leave me alone, I'm not the problem. It is the world and other people.

Lead by example, or shut up.
Yussie you are delusional. No where did I say anything like that.

Instead we have 8 pages of you agressively denying it, claiming you do more than most, telling everyone to shut up or lead, and just carry on as usual.

Anyway I found a nice picture of you so it's all good.

Attachments

Eniigma

Expert Member
Climate Change Will Cause Beer Shortages and Price Hikes, Study Says
A new study from Nature Plants has identified the one climate-related issue that can unite people from myriad political backgrounds -- beer. From a report: Led by Wei Xie, an agricultural scientist at Peking University, the paper finds that regions that grow barley, the primary crop used to brew beer, are projected to experience severe droughts and heat waves due to anthropogenic climate change. According to five climate models that used different projected temperature increases for the coming century, extreme weather events could reduce barley yields by 3 to 17 percent. Barley harvests are mostly sold as livestock fodder, so beer availability could be further hindered by the likely prioritization of grain yields to feed cattle and other farm animals, rather than for brewing beer.

The net result will be a decline in affordable access to beer, which is the most commonly imbibed alcoholic beverage in the world. Within a few decades, this luxury may be out of reach for hundreds of millions of people, including those in affluent nations where breweries are a major industry. Price spikes are estimated to range from $4 to over $20 for a standard six-pack in nations like the US, Ireland, Denmark, and Poland.
Maybe that will get people to start taking it seriously.

Eniigma

Expert Member
Self-Healing Material Can Build Itself From Carbon In the Air
MIT chemical engineers have reportedly designed a material that can react with carbon dioxide from the air, "to grow, strengthen, and even repair itself." According to MIT News, "The polymer, which might someday be used as construction or repair material or for protective coatings, continuously converts the greenhouse gas into a carbon-based material that reinforces itself."
Now if they could get that into production and make it feasible for real world use, it would be a great start.