Unable to watch DSTV Now on any other browser but Firefox

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Hi there
I signed into now.dstv.com using Firefox browser (using my Windows 10 laptop), and was able to tune into any of the channels I am subscribed for on my package. Now I an trying to login using Chrome and even Edge browsers, and they both allow me login, but when I click on a channel to watch, I get this persistent error message "....Sorry this channel is not available on your package.. Upgrade or Cancel"

I have cleaned all browser cookies and history and even tried Waterfox (variant of Firefox)--still getting this message.

I have 2 TV's using Smart Apps--and they are both working fine.
Only Firefox (browser used to originally sign in) works...no other browser works.

Thanks

S

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Ive got the same problem, but with FF on one laptop. I get that same error message. Other laptop with FF works fine.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
use your 2 smart tv's you toffee :p
When you have teenagers who want to be glued to TV...i need my own escape on my laptop when I am working...to watch Premier League!

I think this has to do with some devices not getting permission to connect from other browsers that are not authenticated (DSTV Now sees this as additional connection from the same device). Just my opinion.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
When you have teenagers who want to be glued to TV...i need my own escape on my laptop when I am working...to watch Premier League!

I think this has to do with some devices not getting permission to connect from other browsers that are not authenticated (DSTV Now sees this as additional connection from the same device). Just my opinion.
lol who payed for the TV's :p

xbmcfan

Same issue
Using other peoples PC's and Chrome, Firefox, DSTV Now works but not on any of my devices, only the Android apps works.

I used the live chat about 8 times and the lady always ended my conversation before I could type my smartcard number every time or for no reason if you didn't respond in 60 seconds. MC support is pathetic and I gave them 1 star ratings for not being able to solve my issue.
They clearly have no idea about this issue several people are having.

They just tell you to clear your browser cache which won't help with the error message of 'The channel is not available on your package and you must upgrade it'.
I even got my account completely reset and it still made no difference.

Users using Linux can't stream anything now and from this thread, it seams even users using Windows browsers have problems now.

Hope people can contact Mybroadband to do an article on this issue so everyone can complain and cancel their accounts if it doesn't get fixed.

MirageF1

Expert Member

I think you probably on to the right thing there.
I thought there is a limit to number of independent devices one can watch from depending on ones package.
That and ensuring each device is authenticated/verified.

Edit Man

Hello Ya all.

I was also having the same chrome issues with the DSTV now app and also got the message "....Sorry this channel is not available on your package.. Upgrade or Cancel". It looks like I have solved the mystery. If you go to settings and click on Advanced, you need to select the checkbox for "Enable Verified Access". As soon as I did that, it all worked fine. Hope this helps and lf it does, let me know and......765552Spread the word.DSTV Chrome.png

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Same issue
Using other peoples PC's and Chrome, Firefox, DSTV Now works but not on any of my devices, only the Android apps works.

I used the live chat about 8 times and the lady always ended my conversation before I could type my smartcard number every time or for no reason if you didn't respond in 60 seconds. MC support is pathetic and I gave them 1 star ratings for not being able to solve my issue.
They clearly have no idea about this issue several people are having.

They just tell you to clear your browser cache which won't help with the error message of 'The channel is not available on your package and you must upgrade it'.
I even got my account completely reset and it still made no difference.

Users using Linux can't stream anything now and from this thread, it seams even users using Windows browsers have problems now.

Hope people can contact Mybroadband to do an article on this issue so everyone can complain and cancel their accounts if it doesn't get fixed.
The laptop of mine that stopped working runs linux

xbmcfan

Hello Ya all.

I was also having the same chrome issues with the DSTV now app and also got the message "....Sorry this channel is not available on your package.. Upgrade or Cancel". It looks like I have solved the mystery. If you go to settings and click on Advanced, you need to select the checkbox for "Enable Verified Access". As soon as I did that, it all worked fine. Hope this helps and lf it does, let me know and......Spread the word.
Unfortunately those settings are only for Chrome OS and not Chrome Browser.
Both Chrome and Firefox browsers use secure Widevine and should work but don't.

I don't understand how my DSTV Now account can stream on a friend's PC but not on my own, makes no sense.
Maybe they are also doing similar things like Disney did initially who completely blocked Linux streaming?
Disney later had to add back support for at least 720p streaming in Linux after the user backlash.

We must just all flood their emails, support and HelloPeter so they fix it since you can't use what you pay for and it's not acceptable for such a high price.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Hello Ya all.

I was also having the same chrome issues with the DSTV now app and also got the message "....Sorry this channel is not available on your package.. Upgrade or Cancel". It looks like I have solved the mystery. If you go to settings and click on Advanced, you need to select the checkbox for "Enable Verified Access". As soon as I did that, it all worked fine. Hope this helps and lf it does, let me know and......View attachment 765552Spread the word.View attachment 765552
No such option on my Chrome browser/Chrome-based browsers.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Update: as test I downloaded Brave browser, chrome variant, and tried connecting and singing in to DStv.

All good, but suddenly a pop up appeared asking permission to install widevine plugin.
I installed it. Picture appeared.
After 2 refreshes.

problem could be that we have not given permission to browser to use widevine plugin.

??

joshuatree

Expert Member
It is impossible to use a browser on an Android or IOS device to stream Dstv Now or Showmax , even with choosing desktop version , right ? You get told to download the app.

xbmcfan

It is impossible to use a browser on an Android or IOS device to stream Dstv Now or Showmax , even with choosing desktop version , right ? You get told to download the app.
Chrome on Android, desktop site, can stream DSTV Now to my believe.

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Yes, DSTv sees that as a cop-out to add new "licences" to connect. I think we are provided with 3-5 devices to connect at a maximum