Unabridged marriage certificate - where to apply?

Tander

Executive Member
So, the wife (British citizen) and I have been married for a while now. When we were married the DHA issued us an A3 sized, printer certificate of marriage - however it does not say unabridged on it, so I assume it isn't.

I'd like to get the unabridged one as quickly as possible and not have to wait 6 months for one. Is there a recommended agency or place to go to apply for one and what documents are generally required?

Also, is it possible to get one within a few weeks?

Appreciate any input is greatly appreciated

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
A3 is pretty big. Ours was a A5 page given to us by the minister.

crocopede

Home affairs. Takes 3 weeks - 6 months. You can pay premium for lawyers, mind the multiple scams for this service offered.

No matter the cost they can they same as you. Phone, email and hope.

Katelknaap

Applled recently for one at Home Affairs. Was informed it can take 2 to 4 months. Good luck standing in those ques

phaktza

Executive Member
So, the wife (British citizen) and I have been married for a while now. When we were married the DHA issued us an A3 sized, printer certificate of marriage - however it does not say unabridged on it, so I assume it isn't.

I'd like to get the unabridged one as quickly as possible and not have to wait 6 months for one. Is there a recommended agency or place to go to apply for one and what documents are generally required?

Plenty of expats using docassist to speed up the process. I've never had to make use of their services, so far.

newby_investor

Expert Member

I was under the impression that the converse is true - it would say abridged if it were the shortened one. I stand under correction though.

phaktza

Executive Member
Yes they've done away with abridged and unabridged recently. Everything should be abridged moving forward - except for all older documentation.

Zyk1

Expert Member
Forgive my ignorance...
Why do we need unabridged marriage certificate and what information on it is different to an abridged one?

Tander

Executive Member
Yes they've done away with abridged and unabridged recently. Everything should be abridged moving forward - except for all older documentation.
Where did you hear this?
As I mentioned, I have a printed marriage certificate with all our details on it, on official DHA paper. It does not mention abridge or unabridged

Forgive my ignorance...
Why do we need unabridged marriage certificate and what information on it is different to an abridged one?
Generally, unabridged certificates contains a lot more detail on it (Not sure what though) and is used prove marriage outside the country - so when applying for visas etc.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Unabridged anything certificates always take long.

Friends applied for their son's unabridged birth certificate for travelling, and thought they'll get their unabridge marrige certificate while they were at it. The birth cerificate took nearly 2 months and their unabridged marrige certificate took nearly 18 months.
They got married 5 years before applying and were told it should be somewhere stored electronically and still it took a very long time.

phaktza

Executive Member

Tander

Executive Member
I can't remember who mentioned it, but then I realised my daughter's unabridged certificate had "unabridged" on it, and my son's had neither "abridged" nor "unabridged" in spite of the fact that it is unabridged.

https://www.sanews.gov.za/south-africa/first-unabridged-birth-certificate-issued

This makes sense in a digital age. Whether this applies to marriage certificates remains to be seen.
Interesting. Thanks for the link.
I do wonder if it applies to marriage certificates as ours is only a couple years old.

Venomous

Honorary Master
I can't remember who mentioned it, but then I realised my daughter's unabridged certificate had "unabridged" on it, and my son's had neither "abridged" nor "unabridged" in spite of the fact that it is unabridged.

https://www.sanews.gov.za/south-africa/first-unabridged-birth-certificate-issued

This makes sense in a digital age. Whether this applies to marriage certificates remains to be seen.
Hmmm,

Inreresting.

I wonder what will happen in those instances where baby-mama tell Sipho that he's the dad and say 5 years later, some argument and tests later, it turns out that Tom is actually the baby-daddy....

Tander

Executive Member
This is from https://bunnyhop.co.za:

Please note that as of the 1st of December 2016 unabridged certificates have been renamed and are now called BIRTH, MARRIAGE / DEATH CERTIFICATES. This is detailed on the top of the certificate.
Our marriage certificate just says: "Marriage Certificate" at the top and and all details including couple full names, ID / passport numbers as well as place of marriage and a stamp.

We were married after this date, too.

I wonder if this means our certificate would be enough for our purposes. (Visitor visa to Greece)