Unban all “non-essential” goods now – DA

Iwojima

Expert Member
Why can't I buy a HDD? How is that spreading the virus?
It's not directly. However, the idea at least, is to discourage the logistics that would lead to you receiving that HDD. The logistics being the way in which the virus may spread, ergo reducing logistics for non-essentials reduces to overall change for spread.

garp

Executive Member
Let me be blunt. Unless supply chains are restored, and manufacturing, import and distribution are permitted (of all goods) from the at least the end of the initial lock down period (16 April) (at the very latest), the death toll from the ensuing shortages, business failures and unemployment will far exceed anything that will be caused by Covid-19, (and even then it will be rough). We have not even begun to feel the effects of shutting down the economy, and I fear that by the time the effects become obvious it will be too late to avert disaster.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Let me be blunt. Unless supply chains are restored, and manufacturing, import and distribution are permitted (of all goods) from the at least the end of the initial lock down period (21 April) (at the very latest), the death toll from the ensuing shortages, business failures and unemployment will far exceed anything that will be caused by Covid-19, (and even then it will be rough). We have not even begun to feel the effects of shutting down the economy, and I fear that by the time the effects become obvious it will be too late to avert disaster.
Its a win-win for the government: The upside is that they can tabulate the positive tests, and trumpet their success. There is no downside, since nobody measures people dying from poverty and starvation.

If necessary they can always blame apartheid. /sarcasm

daveza

Honorary Master
Let me be blunt. Unless supply chains are restored, and manufacturing, import and distribution are permitted (of all goods) from the at least the end of the initial lock down period (21 April) (at the very latest), the death toll from the ensuing shortages, business failures and unemployment will far exceed anything that will be caused by Covid-19,
What will they die from ?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You CAN'T buy ice-cream at my local Pick-n-Pay as its not essential.
You CAN buy biscuits, chocolates, sweets, cake mixes....

YOU CAN'T buy a light bulb.... sorry but light at night is not essential (cue load shedding backups)

You CAN buy meat, chicken, fish, cheese...
YOU CAN'T buy a Fridge to put them in when yours breaks as its not essential.
Not even a cooler box to try and save some food either!

BUT YOU CAN make your own yoghurt ice cream --- we tried it over the weekend to get away from the boredom

Last edited:

wingnut771

Executive Member
Local Spar didn't even have stock left day of lockdown. Store manager doesn't know when he's going to get in either.

Likewise with 2 garages - they were fully sold out before the restrictions hit them.
mines not so bad, just the rice and pasta is looking barren, and no brown sugar. veggie selection also down. but i went a few days after lockdown. need to go again tomorrow so will see.

wingnut771

Executive Member
It's not directly. However, the idea at least, is to discourage the logistics that would lead to you receiving that HDD. The logistics being the way in which the virus may spread, ergo reducing logistics for non-essentials reduces to overall change for spread.
how are the logistics any different from delivering nappies?

garp

Executive Member
Come the next election polls, people will not be able to forget how the ANC allowed Bkeki Cele and his rock hard ego to run the country. Finally made him feel speshul after decades of doing utterly fokkol. Bkeki Cele has watched this country sink into ruin from crime. Hes utterly useless.

Please just have a hear attack already.
About 20% of South Africans smoke and a third are drinkers, and there's no reason why this would be different for voters. It is interesting that the ANC doesn't seem to be too concerned about peeing off a large swathe of their voters. Losing the vote of a portion of those smokers and drinkers could have an interesting effect at the polls.

wingnut771

Executive Member
About 20% of South Africans smoke and a third are drinkers, and there's no reason why this would be different for voters. It is interesting that the ANC doesn't seem to be too concerned about peeing off a large swathe of their voters. Losing the vote of a portion of those smokers and drinkers could have an interesting effect at the polls.
one can only hope.

Blackhand

I've only gone to my local Checkers and Engen. Both are selling everything they normally do, from stationary to toasters, with one exception, cigarettes. It seems stupid.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Let's stop kidding ourselves here, the voters are going nowhere, we know this, so does the ANC as well as the voters. The ban on alcohol will be lifted when the time comes and everything will go back to normal.

Last edited:

Iwojima

Expert Member
how are the logistics any different from delivering nappies?
It's not any different in any way that matters, but that was not my point.

My point was that the rationale being used (whether valid or not) is that cutting down the total number of logistical touch-points (e.g. delivery) reduces the total opportunities for the virus to spread.

surface

Executive Member
Let's stop kidding ourselves here, the voters are going nowhere, we know this, so does the ANC as well as the voters. The ban on alcohol will be lifted when the time comes and everything will go back to normal.
Yeah - from different wishful thinking threads, if I total up all the % of voters that were supposed to show their backs to ANC for various reasons, we have more voters than population of India & china put together.