Unban all “non-essential” goods now – DA

quovadis

Expert Member
No they won't.

What are they going to do about it ?
Drive to the next store which might have. Did you read my post at all? More people moving further in search of a store with stock is not a good thing under the circumstances.

daveza

Honorary Master
Drive to the next store which might have. Did you read my post at all? More people moving further in search of a store with stock is not a good thing under the circumstances.

They are doing that anyway looking for basic essentials.

You know how many people are driving around looking for cigarettes when they can see them on the shelves in the shop they are in ?

WalkWithMe

No taxis are not closed down.

They travel in the morning they travel in the evening.

They will travel across the country carrying people to funerals.

What is the point of the driver getting a mask when all his passengers have none ?

PPE is coming - from where ?
Taxis are back to morning and evening for essential workers and not for general public

Deputy minister of health Joe Phaahla told South Africans on Friday that government would work to ensure a supply of medical equipment and protective gear. He went on to say that some protective gear will be here as early as the weekend for health workers and more stock next week.

daveza

Honorary Master
Taxis are back to morning and evening for essential workers and not for general public

Deputy minister of health Joe Phaahla told South Africans on Friday that government would work to ensure a supply of medical equipment and protective gear. He went on to say that some protective gear will be here as early as the weekend for health workers and more stock next week.

Sorry, how do you think the general public gets to the shop and back again ?

wernerdp

Sorry, but there is no way in hell that inducing a world-wide lockdown does not come with fore-knowledge that social chaos will in some form ensue. Absolutely no effing way.

I'd bet my bottom dollar plans were made up months if not longer ago, which are now awaiting the eruptions as they occur, which will be used to justify implementing those plans.

It's as though they knew they had reached the end of the road when it comes to the abuse of unsuspecting people's faith in increasingly centrally-planned economies aka soviet economics, paraded as 'laissez-faire capitalist' and 'free market', and that they would have to - in some way, shape or form, bail out lock, stock and barrel whilst pinning the blame on someone or something else.

The US, with its zombie petro-dollar arrangement and the federal reserve money producing monopoly, and all other central-banking nations have been dutifully taking bailouts and following orders. Que: Economic Hitman John Perkins' confession.
Someone with the ability to do some critical thinking

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Whose stock runs out? The local store, the local warehouse, the regional warehouse, the main distribution hub? This is the point I'm trying to make. Where there is demand there'll always be mobilisation to satisfy that demand and if artificial scarcity is created/heightened by some stores having stock of a non-essential item and another not then you create mass movement of people to areas they wouldn't ordinarily frequent in order to obtain those products not to mention those who may wish to capitalise on those products due to the situation.
I already remarked in another thread: This is like watching the French Revolution in fast-forward. All sorts of bizarre ideas being thrown about, by politicians and 'instant experts', who have no idea of the consequences of their actions. As those of you who studied history might remember, that didn't end well for all concerned...

Corelli

Expert Member
I think Butler's Pizza is an essential service and we want them open again. Also Krispy Kreme. So many traffic officers without donuts not. Lets help them out and make Krispy Kreme Essential too. KFC is probably the most popular food service in South Africa, if not the world. Should be essential too.

To be honest a lot of places are selling till they are out of stock, pc suppliers too.

Executive Member
I find this suggestion by the DA a little BS.

This suggestion would 100% sink businesses. Why can checkers sell hardware to people while "Joe's hardware" can't?

Money that would normally go to SMEs would now go to the big guys and once this entire lockdown is finished, there may not even be a surge that the SMEs are hoping for.

Louis72

The government want to reduce the number of people flocking the shops. Yes we cannot afford an people just going to Picknpay to buy electronics and other non-essential products. If South Africans were disciplined it was going to be easier. As for cigarettes, at first I did not understand what it was banned. You don’t want a guy puffing and blowing his smoke up in the air carrying infected droplets risking whoever maybe around him.
Exactly what the member said. It is about making the time you spend and occurrence of going to shops less. Simple as that. Some people will go to PnP just for a spatula. It does seem silly that one cannot buy it as part of your food purchases but then ask yourself how do you enforce and regulate that on mass scale? Think in a crisis situation one has to make the rules as black and white as possible.