Unban all “non-essential” goods now – DA

gottagoon

Expert Member
And I've organised beers for tomorrow.

Why the hell must I give up beer now when I've had a few beers EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last 38 years ?

**** that. A week without has driven me to the point of insanity.

I need my sanity back.

IdlePhaedrus

Expert Member
Still can't get a replacement battery for my wife's car, who is a doctor. She's using my car but how are car batteries not essential? Such stupidity.
Try your local Sasol garage. Mine has car batteries in the window. I checked on Thursday when I went out for the first time but forgot to report back to you on this.

I didn't ask if they were selling as it was just a stop by but I expect if you spoke nicely to the manager you would probably get one.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Judging from the different views (a few quite valid), government needs to move very fast with proper, informed debates including medical, logistic/practicality and economics. It made sense for them to move quickly at first, but the lockdown isn't going to end soon so rather tweak it on the fly and make informed, well-debated changes.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I need a replacement battery, that's the long and short of it. Neither the suppliers nor the dealerships are open. I've phoned around. In the meantime, she's using my car as I am working from home.
Surely the local facebook community (if you have such) would have someone in the group happy to solve that?

noxibox

Honorary Master
People... who once performed the role of attention-paying consumers, may notice that when production of goods & services is interrupted, prices must go up to draw in more producers.
Sometimes it, sometimes it doesn't. When it does sometimes prices go down, sometimes they stay the same. They can even go up. A key goal of business is to avoid competition.

Historically when this has happened, the State steps in 'helpfully' and passes a law against 'price gouging'. Because you know when prices go up, it has nothing to do with the law of supply and demand
Because it's not a law. It is a hypothetical scenario that requires a number of factors to actually work in reality as it so nicely does in the textbook.

Anyway this is all irrelevant and has nothing at all to do with the DA wanting to do away with the alleged list of essential goods.

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
Yeah, people don't shop like that . especially if the 'essential's 'are all in different aisles.

Start at one end, go up and down all the aisles. That's how it's done.
And if they did move the items closer together I suspect it wouldn't take any less time. Most people know the layout of their preferred shops so they skip aisles if there is nothing they need down there.

Sads-1-zn

What odds by good friday they relax even more of these ridiculous rules. They backtracked on so much, it makes you wonder what they discussed before the announced the lockdown. Its like the anc/government were ordered to shutdown everything without thinking about how to make it in SA.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
More like you need a brush....All this free time is taking its toll on our equipment.
im not sure after this lockdown should i go to AA first or Weight Loss?
i have already polished off 30 long tom beers and every time i walk into the kitchen i open the fridge to eat something :oops:

noxibox

Honorary Master
The government want to reduce the number of people flocking the shops. Yes we cannot afford an people just going to Picknpay to buy electronics and other non-essential products. If South Africans were disciplined it was going to be easier.
Well I'll say it again, since apparently this is too complicated for some people - there is no restriction on how often people can go to the shops. Someone could if they felt like it walk to the shop, buy three grapes, walk home, eat them, then repeat the process. All day, every day.

Yes it was probably their thinking that they wanted to minimise how often people went to the shops, but it's also true that people don't run off to the shop for every little thing. They'll get the small "non-essentials", whatever the hell those are, when they're there for other things. Those that can afford it will get more cigarettes at a time.

As for cigarettes, at first I did not understand what it was banned. You don’t want a guy puffing and blowing his smoke up in the air carrying infected droplets risking whoever maybe around him.
Well apparently you're still waiting for a clue on that one.

But you better not be breathing when you go shopping. We don't want your infected droplets floating about the place.

j4ck455

Executive Member
“We do not believe the same rationale can be applied to cigarettes and the DA therefore includes cigarettes in our call for all goods currently in stores, open to the public, to be for sale.”
Smokers are an endangered subspecies and tend to flock together, new regulations are required to ensure that smokers maintain proper social distancing from one another and from non-smokers (I suggest a minimum "smoking distance" of about 1km and should persist beyond the lockdown period).

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
IT is about CONSISTENCY. If a widget is declared essential THEN it should be available at every shop selling essentials, not have it blocked off at some stores and being sold at others, and vice versa for non-essentials.
THEN there would be no riding around looking for a widget, and if an essential item the stores will re-stock when they run out.
The above of course assumes that the list is drawn up correctly in the first place. That is an entirely separate debate.

I would not have driven another 7km to the nearest Spar if the local PnP just sold me what I was looking for which was on their shelves but blocked off.