Uncapped 3G downloaders need not apply: LucidView

Franna

Expert Member
So - does uncapped mean uncapped or not? Then the Oxford Dictionary must update the definition of the word...

Solitude

Executive Member
It's unfortunate. I was really hoping that the LucideView product can be used for general use at home. They changed the policy so that the SIM may not be used in a router. Which is fair since they only want people with cellphones to use it. They learned a lesson though in that they must be clear on what their product is.

After that first article on MyBroadband, quite a few people saw the 3G solution that we've all been waiting for. It's not though. It's for people with smartphones which is fair enough. I guess the rest of us will just have to look for the next big thing.

House

Banned
Okay, so the company found out the hard way that it cannot offer real unlimited / uncapped bandwidth. It almost brought them to their knees, into a financial crisis almost shutting down the company's services.

Now, to point number 2, I think that their offering for messaging, 'some browsing' and social networking is way too expensive now...

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
So - does uncapped mean uncapped or not? Then the Oxford Dictionary must update the definition of the word...

Yep, the age-old debate. But I think the time has come for consumers to start using their common sense as well. You simply cannot expect to pay R199 for uncapped 3G and start torrenting away.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
How about buying 1GB data for yourself? Or look at this thread with the latest MTN data prices: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/567695-More-Internet-from-MTN-quot-Free-Internet-quot
Or even better, Afrihost Mobile with 5GB/145 10GB/R197.

LucidView Chit-Chat is a product aimed mainly at smartphone users that want IM, some on-device browsing, and social networking.

Is this even 500MB/month?

So I'm paying R200 for this? Works out much much cheaper if I just buy your own data.

10i

Expert Member
Uncapped is the wrong name for the package.

It should read something like "IM all you want, includes web surfing and email with the Stay connected package @ only R199 per month"

Uncapped refers to the amount of data you use, not what you use it for.

Necuno

Court Jester

Simple: Not worry about cap and use as needed, but without the need to be the epeen of the usage hill.

House

Banned

Leatherman

Yep, the age-old debate. But I think the time has come for consumers to start using their common sense as well. You simply cannot expect to pay R199 for uncapped 3G and start torrenting away.
Companies should not use the wording uncapped when it is not. False advertising, period. you can not advertise as you want and then expect the costumer to know better.

Underworld

Ok, when you block certain protocols then you cannot call it uncapped. If you provide certain protocols uncapped that’s fine. So why not just call it Uncapped Social networking and Browsing. Even though these two uses very little data and will be difficult to reach a limit where R199 makes sense. So for me this is a FAIL. You will never get a decent uncapped mobile offering, this is and will always be fixed lines benefit.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Companies should not use the wording uncapped when it is not. False advertising, period. you can not advertise as you want and then expect the costumer to know better.

I totally agree, but who really expects to get uncapped 3G that is not in any way limited for R199?

House

Banned
LOL. Did people really think they will get the full Monty for R199 a month?

I said it before, on a number of occasions here on MyBB - there are millions of stupid people here in SA just waiting, begging to be scammed out of their money - there are many even here on MyBB. So, yes, the moment people saw 'uncapped' they went and signed up, trying to download, so yes, some stupid people really thought just that....

That is exactly what I have said, again on a number of occasions here on MyBB. Someone really need to take these scamming companies using 'uncapped' or 'unlimited' to court or some authority. This is nothing else but consumer scamming.

House

Banned
I totally agree, but who really expects to get uncapped 3G that is not in any way limited for R199?

Stupid people - and they make up more than 2/3's of South Africa. Also, the same ones who signed up, paid the money and almost caused the company to collapse...

Totempole

Expert Member
The fact of the matter is, with all of the policies they have in place now, you'd be lucky if you manage to use 1GB of data in a month.

Jan

Drifting in the black

To be fair to LucidView, they never used "uncapped" to describe their product, but rather "fixed cost".

That said, when the product was first launched it had all the aspects of an uncapped service: fixed cost, no cap (duh) with no traffic expressly disallowed, traffic prioritisation to ensure QoS.

House

Banned
To be fair to LucidView, they never used "uncapped" to describe their product, but rather "fixed cost".

That said, when the product was first launched it had all the aspects of an uncapped service: fixed cost, no cap (duh) with no traffic expressly disallowed, traffic prioritisation to ensure QoS.

Well, before we can be fair here, we need to see who fukced up here. Did MyBB report false or sensationalist article here, or did the company really offer uncapped services? Look here:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...bile-broadband-R199-month?highlight=LucidView

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/87617-r199month-for-uncapped-mobile-broadband.html

South African networking company LucidView is launching an uncapped mobile broadband product on MTN for a monthly price of R199, Andrew Wilson, head of LucidView recently told MyBroadband.

Besides, I personally think that MyBB should make an executive decision and no longer promote any company offering anything 'uncapped' or 'unlimited'.

Last edited:

memyselfandi

You have to be stupid to go for something like this. I browse, update, Whatsapp, Facebook and email on my iPhone and do not go over a gig a month.