AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Goddamn!

Life is too short...

Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues

RIP Rudi

Aghori

Honorary Master
Rudi was a somewhat close associate back in the day... He will be sorely missed by me :(

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
This is really sad news. Rudi was a pioneer in broadband!
He will be sorely missed.
Condolences to his family and friends.

Afrihost-Gian

Afrihost CEO
Company Rep
This is incredibly sad news.

I met Rudi on a few I occasions and he was a great guy in every way. He loved his wife, his 5 kids and was passionate about technology and what it could do.

Here’s a story I remember sharing with Rudi that he loved:

It was March 2010.

I got on to a plane in America for the long flight home and we were the Kings of South African Broadband after launching R29/GB ADSL in September the previous year.

18 hours later the plane landed, I put my 1 year old into her pram, switched on my phone and it exploded with texts.

And it immediately began ringing.

It was Bren my best friend and business partner since forever. I was expecting a ‘Welcome home bud, I missed you’ but instead the first words Bren said to me after my cheerful hello was ‘Have you seen what Mweb has done?’

During that flight home we had been toppled as the Kings of Broadband by a legendary masterstroke orchestrated by Rudi.

Rest In Peace Rudi, you were a true legend.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member

I met Rudi on a few I occasions and he was a great guy in every way. He loved his wife, his 5 kids and was passionate about technology and what it could do.

It was March 2010.

I got on to a plane in America for the long flight home and we were the Kings of South African Broadband after launching R29/GB ADSL in September the previous year.

18 hours later the plane landed, I put my 1 year old into her pram, switched on my phone and it exploded with texts.

It was Bren my best friend and business partner since forever. I was expecting a ‘Welcome home bud, I missed you’ but instead the first words Bren said to me after my cheerful hello was ‘Have you seen what Mweb has done?’

During that flight home we had been toppled as the Kings of Broadband by a legendary masterstroke orchestrated by Rudi.

Legendary story.

I was at iBurst and the guys immediately wanted to do wireless uncapped after this.
The data showed that the only period the network would not go TITSUP was between 12 and 8am which we launched and then Vodacom followed it as well.
(When I left and rain started they did go uncapped and killed the spectrum - wireless is not fibre).

But the biggest impact in my opinion was the middle finger to Telkom, Internet Solutions, Vodacom and MTN on peering. That was the kickstart for NAP Africa.

Last edited:

PaulMurkin

It was March 2010.

My goeie f*k... back from the dead.... Are you still with Afrihost

rpm

Admin
Staff member

It was March 2010.

Great story. I heard similar tales from other ISP CEOs. One of them told me he sent Rudi a simple text after he launched uncapped - "What the f**k have you done" :)

I met Rudi a few times after he left MWEB, and he used his talents to better his community and help other businesses. He served on school boards, company boards, and invested in businesses.

He was a really awesome guy.